PDA

View Full Version : Unknown dates for CA new resident handgun ownership report

Drew Eckhardt
04-22-2010, 7:22 PM
I've moved to California and want to bring my handguns (leaving my regular capacity magazines behind) when I collect my sporting equipment stored in another state.

I only know the year I acquired two of them and think all the rest were probably some time before 2001 (all on form 4473s)

What do I put on the date fields of the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report, and am I going to have problems "incomplete applications will be returned without processing?"

Mssr. Eleganté
04-22-2010, 7:46 PM
I know a guy who wrote "Don't Remember" in that space and didn't have any problems. He was going to leave it blank, but then he worried they would think he forgot to put the date and return the form to him. There are 80 year old guys moving to California with handguns they've owned since they were kids. So I'm sure CalDOJ doesn't expect everybody to remember the exact date they acquired all of their handguns.

smarter
04-23-2010, 2:50 AM
@drew - you should break down your regular capacity mag into parts and bring them in as rebuild kit for replacement parts, or to rebuild/block them off in 10 round mags.