PDA

View Full Version : New guy from OC

JohnnyCrash
04-22-2010, 1:29 PM
Hello,

I'm new to guns. My girlfriend and I are about to purchase our first (and second).

Any tips on where to shop in Orange County? We've already sent a few downrange at a few ranges and browsed at a few shops, but we're still new to knowing where a good place to buy is located.

cntrolsguy
04-22-2010, 1:33 PM
Straightline Tactical in Anaheim
Ades in Orange
J&J Armory in Santa Ana
RifleGear (not sure what city)
Turners in Orange
Fowlers in Orange

I personally try to do all my transactions at Straightline.

Just to name a few.

nrvnqsrxk
04-22-2010, 1:39 PM
RifleGear is in Costa Mesa I think.

I'm closer to Ammo Bros. in Norwalk, Turners Outdoorsman in Norwalk

Theres this one on Beach Blvd. They have a really nice store, but it's kinda pricey.

If you want to buy a gun for the cheapest price, I would suggest using the Gun Genie at http://galleryofguns.com/, and comparing prices there, or buying from an online shop and having it shipped to OC Armory in Laguna hills (I think they have the best transfer prices). Do your homework, do some shoppin', post pics, and let us know how it goes!

JohnnyCrash
04-22-2010, 1:45 PM
I heard Ade's is under new ownership. Is it still a good place to go after the ownership changed?

I have read MANY bad reviews about Fowlers. Has it gotten better? Prices still a bit high?

I'll have to check out Straightline... it's very close to my house too!

PatriotnMore
04-22-2010, 1:49 PM
I would recommend Riflegear or O.C. Armory.

ETA: Selection wise, to view and hold, the two I recommended are not as strong as your Fowlers and such, but if customer service, and friendly knowledgeable staff is important, those are my recommendations.

JohnnyCrash
04-22-2010, 1:54 PM
RifleGear is in Costa Mesa I think.

I'm closer to Ammo Bros. in Norwalk, Turners Outdoorsman in Norwalk

Theres this one on Beach Blvd. They have a really nice store, but it's kinda pricey.

If you want to buy a gun for the cheapest price, I would suggest using the Gun Genie at http://galleryofguns.com/, and comparing prices there, or buying from an online shop and having it shipped to OC Armory in Laguna hills (I think they have the best transfer prices). Do your homework, do some shoppin', post pics, and let us know how it goes!

My gal lives closer to Norwalk...

Thanks for that Gun Genie link! I already looked up a few things.

Does the Gun Genie show what is currently in stock at local shops, or only what they'd charge if it was in-stock or has to be shipped?

zerohour714
04-22-2010, 1:56 PM
There is the stockade in Westminister...Big selection, or Bass pro in Rancho Cucomunga. Most of the others have been listed already...Oh also look at turners outdoors, there everywhere

cntrolsguy
04-22-2010, 2:16 PM
I heard Ade's is under new ownership. Is it still a good place to go after the ownership changed?

I have read MANY bad reviews about Fowlers. Has it gotten better? Prices still a bit high?

I'll have to check out Straightline... it's very close to my house too!

Yeah I was one of the ones that use to take all my business to Ade's before the change. Straightline rocks as far as I'm concerned the place is a little small but their service make up for it.

virulosity
04-22-2010, 2:22 PM
I still go to Ade's and it is one of my favorites. Almost everyone that worked their before still does (including the man himself). OC Armory is another good one but they are probably too far south for you guys. I bet there are 50 or more gunstores in OC, pretty good selection if you know where to look. Even turners and big 5 haven't given me terrible service, just sub par.

mrlonewolf
04-22-2010, 2:45 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

bsg
04-22-2010, 5:51 PM
welcome to the forum from the san gabriel valley....

-Brady

novabrian
04-22-2010, 5:58 PM
I would decide on what you want and then go from there.

NorCalSJ
04-23-2010, 8:35 AM
Welcome and enjoy the forum.

runninmike
04-23-2010, 1:51 PM
Howdy JohnnyCrash, welcome!

dellgsg5
04-23-2010, 1:52 PM
Hello and welcome to Calguns!!!

Jromulo
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
For out of state transfers Straightline Tactical is the best and only place to go. No other store in the state can beat their transfer price. :)

Nra-Life-Member
04-28-2010, 3:50 PM
Welcome!!

winnre
04-28-2010, 4:01 PM
I'm going to try to get to Riflegear and O.C. Armory this weekend. Since no one knows what I look like I can be a secret shopper and report back. :cool:

JohnnyCrash
04-28-2010, 5:25 PM
OK,

A quick report.

We went to Field Time Sports and Guns in Westminster last week. Today I went to Straightline Tactical.

One of the guys at Field Time was a total d!ck. It was near closing time and he obviously didn't want to stay an extra 10 minutes. He nearly lost two sales... I say nearly because they have a really great deal on the two handguns we're looking at ($50 rebate OR two free magazines on our particular model). The manager was pretty cool though.

Straightline was awesome. The guy there was really cool. Very helpful and totally patient with a dumb newbie's (me) many questions.

Tomorrow is the big day, but since my girlfriend is buying, it's ultimately her decision... she was impressed with my trip to Straightline, but she's a frugal chick who likes extras tossed in to sweeten the deal.

After tomorrow, in T-Minus 10 days I will be on my first steps to no longer being a newbie :)

--

Now on to ranges... we've only been to one (Insight in Artesia), so trips to other local ranges are next on our list.

Thanks for the tips so far guys!

smokingloon
04-28-2010, 7:55 PM
Are you getting a Smith and Wesson?

Local Ranges in OC

OC indoor- Brea
Evans - Anahiem
On-Target - Laguna Niguel

bigcountry
04-29-2010, 9:37 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

JohnnyCrash
04-29-2010, 3:05 PM
The purchase is done... should be in my hands in 10 days :)

I'll have to look into Evans since I'm practically in Anaheim.

mjpjr
05-01-2010, 4:25 PM
Just wondering who gave you bad service at field time. I have been in there several times and was treated great by everyone except one guy when I went to pick up my last handgun. Funny thing is he is assistant manager at firing line in HB, a range I no longer go to because of the employees attitudes.
I am trying Evans tomorrow for the first time. Cheaper then OC indoor in Brea, another nice place to shoot. You also have the public range at the OC sheriffs department on Katella, which seems to be the cheapest. Did you get the Sigma or MP?

JohnnyCrash
05-15-2010, 5:36 PM
Just wondering who gave you bad service at field time. I have been in there several times and was treated great by everyone except one guy when I went to pick up my last handgun. Funny thing is he is assistant manager at firing line in HB, a range I no longer go to because of the employees attitudes.
I am trying Evans tomorrow for the first time. Cheaper then OC indoor in Brea, another nice place to shoot. You also have the public range at the OC sheriffs department on Katella, which seems to be the cheapest. Did you get the Sigma or MP?

Sigma. I'm broke, all of the bad reviews I read were from "my friend's stovepiped everytime" non-owners, or about the early poorly feeding models (not the VE series), they look nice, the grip felt great, and I can always save up later for an upgrade... just gettin' my feet wet for now.

I don't recall which dude at Field Time, the manager was very nice to us, but the other guy was a total d!ckw@d.

How was Evans? I still wish something was closer and cheaper... where's the OC Sheriff range on Katella?

Bizcuits
05-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Welcome aboard!

rod
05-25-2010, 5:33 AM
Welcome to Calguns

.22guy
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the site! :)