View Full Version : Mosin Markings on 91/30

04-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I ordered a 91/30 for kicks the other day. Pulled it out of the box, wiped some of the cosmo off and looked it over. It's a hex receiver 91/30 in pretty nice condition. All matching numbers and dated 1934. The barrel shank is stamped with the Tula arrow/star, but it looks as though there is a lighter and substantially smaller Izhevsk triangle/arrow stamped over the upper point of the Tula star. Every other piece of the rifle has the Izhevsk triangle/arrow marking. I'm confused by this. My assumption is that it was originally made by Tula and numbered appropriately, with the only Tula mark on the barrel shank. Then later Izhevsk rearsenaled the rifle and stamped the triangle/arrow over the Tula star, and on the other rifle parts (barrel bands, bolt, tang, etc). For the life of me, the only Tula mark I could find was the original barrel shank stamp. Unfortunately, I don't have access to pictures right now, but I can post them later. Are these just simple marks from the rearsenal process, or am I rightly confused? I couldn't find any decent pictures online to give as an example, but I have scoured (7.62x54r.net, etc).

Here are some pictures that give an approximation:

Similar Tula mark: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/0116.jpg

Izhevsk mark stamp that's over the Tula: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Izhevsklatemark.jpg

04-22-2010, 2:19 PM
Alot of info here.

04-22-2010, 4:54 PM
could it be a triangle with a 1 inside it? DDR mark?

04-22-2010, 5:52 PM
I think that the diamond w/ line through is an arsenal refurbishment mark , maybe Ukraine or Bulgaria

04-22-2010, 6:05 PM
I think that upside down triangle in a circle is the mark of the "Pink Pistols".

04-22-2010, 9:06 PM
I know with Mosins, anything goes bit a Tula and Izhevsk marked barrel sounds unlikely to me. The other parts being Izhevsk marked is very common like Marcus said. Tula parts can be so uncommon, I have found on refurbs that I get kinda excited when I find a Tula marked piece on a Tula refurb.
The only marking that might look like a an Izhevsk mark to me would be a DDR stamp.

04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I should have looked harder. It's a refurb mark, not an Izhevsk mark. I'm fired. Problem solved. Back to scrubbing cosmo. Thanks guys (and gals)!

Still a fun rifle, though!

04-23-2010, 7:20 AM
All the same, Ted's site does show a Tula overstrike on an Izhevsk tang (or was that visa versa?). No explanation accompanies the photo.