PDA

View Full Version : No Hollywood nite club shooter

MRH
04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Just saw parts of the news conference LAPD chief had about the Nite club shooter. The Armenian Gang member used a OLL rifle The Chief called them by name as "Spikes Tactical" I hope that this wont draw more bad attention to the whole OLL issue .

Window_Seat
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
An OLL rifle can still have a detachable mag release with the evil features, no?

Erik.

CALI-gula
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Just saw parts of the news conference LAPD chief had about the Nite club shooter. The Armenian Gang member used a OLL rifle The Chief called them by name as "Spikes Tactical" I hope that this wont draw more bad attention to the whole OLL issue .

Maybe. But was it built to legal configuration with BB and 10 rounder only, or no grip and sans "nefarious" features? I am willing to bet some scoffing of the law ocurred in that regard, considering A) He was previously arrested for illegal arms dealing B) he had no qualms about killing 4 people.

SuperSet
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
There is more info on the KTLA website about the weapons charges. It's more involved than just being an OLL.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-noho-restaurant-shooting-arrest,0,5471105.story

--

NORTH HOLLYWOOD -- A gun dealer wanted in the shooting deaths of four people inside a North Hollywood restaurant has been arrested by U.S. Marshals in Seattle.

Nerses Galstyan, 28, and his brother Samuel, were arrested about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday at a home in Kenmore, Wash.

LAPD officials previously identified Nerses Galstyan as the suspect in the April 3 shooting inside the Hot Spot Mediterranean Restaurant, 11651 Riverside Drive.

Four people died in the shooting, and two others were wounded.

It is unclear what role Samuel Galstyan may have played in the shootings.

Related links

Arrest Made in Murders of 3 Members of Armenian Family
KTLA: 4 Dead, 2 Critical in Valley Village Restaurant Shooting KTLA: 4 Dead, 2 Critical in Valley Village Restaurant Shooting Video
Officers cordon-off and investigate a shooting in the "Hot Spot" restaurant in North Hollywood. Photo

NORTH HOLLYWOOD -- A gun dealer wanted in the shooting deaths of four people inside a North Hollywood restaurant has been arrested by U.S. Marshals in Seattle.

Nerses Galstyan, 28, and his brother Samuel, were arrested about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday at a home in Kenmore, Wash.

LAPD officials previously identified Nerses Galstyan as the suspect in the April 3 shooting inside the Hot Spot Mediterranean Restaurant, 11651 Riverside Drive.

Four people died in the shooting, and two others were wounded.

Police said Galstyan was at the Hot Spot attending a "birthday memorial celebration" for an acquaintance who died in an accident a year ago.

During that celebration, Galstyan "became involved in a dispute with several men at the celebration and in anger fired multiple rounds, hitting and killing four of them," LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said.

Three men died at the cafe, and a fourth died at a hospital.

The deceased victims were identified by Los Angeles police as Harut Baburyan, 28, Sarkis Karadjian, 26, Vardan Tofalyan, 31, and Hayk Yegnanyan, 25.

Galstyan had been previously indicted on federal weapons charges.

The three-count indictment charges him with conspiracy, engaging in the business of dealing in firearms without a license and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number, said U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte. Each of the three federal counts carry a five-year prison sentence, Birotte added.

According to the indictment, Galstyan allegedly met with a confidential informant on Sept. 2 and sold two Spike's Tactical .223-caliber semiautomatic rifles with obliterated serial numbers, along with two high-capacity magazines, for $3,600.

Galstyan also allegedly told the informant he could sell rifles with 8- inch barrels for $3,000 each, and that he routinely had weapons for sale, according to the indictment.

The Director
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
^^ Wow! Plus he's a price gouger too! What idiot would pay 3600 for two OLL rifles!

Build 'em yourself and obliterate your serial number in the comfort of your own home, LOL!!!:D:D:D:D:D;)

bigcalidave
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
$3600 for two ARs??? Informant got ripped off... I thought prices in illegal gun dealing were supposed to be low?

windrider
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
someone needs to do something like this with a samurai sword to get the attention off of us, but then again I do love my katana and would hate to have to install some bullet button equivalent on it

Crazed_SS
04-22-2010, 11:48 AM
$3600 for two ARs??? Informant got ripped off... I thought prices in illegal gun dealing were supposed to be low?

I'd assume it depends..

If someone on the streets has an stolen piece that they just want to off load real quick, the price will be cheap.

But if you need someone to get you something specific, I imagine the price would be a lot higher since the person procuring the weapon has to pay the full legal price for it and he'll then have to charge you a premium for doing this "service?

ojisan
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Reading carefully, it seems a "CA OLL" is not even a factor.
While still to be verified, most likely the guns were illegally brought in from Washington state since the guy is a dealer there.
I doubt very highly that a Washington state gun, or one with removed serial numbers, would be a featureless build equipped with a BB or MMG.

WS:An OLL still requires either a Bullet Button and 10 round max magazine if the gun has evil features, or no bullet button if featureless.

What we can learn here, is the Bad Guys will always get and have guns, and progressively disarming the California public only makes us more vulnerable to crime and attacks, not safer.

How many CCW permits and guns did the victims have?
How much chance to survive did the victims have?
Zero.

rjf
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
So... the restaurant shooting was not done with an OLL as headlined by OP. The shooter / gouger was previously indicted on weapon charges related to selling altered Spikes Tactical AR type weapons for a profit:eek:

ScorpioVI
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
That link doesn't say anything about him even using ARs in the actual shooting. It doesn't even sound like they know he did the actual shooting...

Aldemar
04-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I wish they would have used the words "Illegal Arms Dealer" instead of just "Gun Dealer".

It sounds as though he had a storefront somewhere.

That's the media though, always getting the facts straight:mad:

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
According to the indictment, Galstyan allegedly met with a confidential informant on Sept. 2 and sold two Spike's Tactical .223-caliber semiautomatic rifles with obliterated serial numbers, along with two high-capacity magazines, for $3,600.

So by thinking through the above, I think we can infer that while the lower receiver of the weapon used was an "off list lower", I think we can also safely infer that Mr. Littlepenis the gangster, had most likely illegally configured the rifle and was, again most likely, using larger capacity mags that were probably illicitly obtained / imported if his track record is any indication.

Hopefully he enjoys his time in prison getting rogered endlessly by even bull queer on the tier.

And the news media believes that every honest FFL is a "gun trafficker". Eff them.

djleisure
04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I don't see where it says an "assault weapon" or "OLL" or ANY indication that it was even a rifle used in the shooting. In fact, I would assume he came back with a handgun of some kind to shoot those guys.

The article only refers to him DEALING in "assault weapons."

Sinixstar
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
^^ Wow! Plus he's a price gouger too! What idiot would pay 3600 for two OLL rifles!

Build 'em yourself and obliterate your serial number in the comfort of your own home, LOL!!!:D:D:D:D:D;)

who would pay $3600?
Somebody who's looking to avoid background checks and get ahold of a gun with no serial numbers. Frankly i'm surprised it was only $3600. Given the circumstances, he probably could have gotten a lot more for it.

socalblue
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Someone from CGF or NRA needs to contact the news agencies to set them straight on the OLL issue. Stress that it makes zero difference in this case due to the other multiple felonies + the rifle was unlawfully imported. Try to focus on the fact that this guy is a violent scumbag illegal arms dealer that is totally outside the law.

Properly done this can reverse from an "OLL used in a murder" to : "violent scumbag illegal arms dealer accused of ....". Huge difference in public perception.

rromeo
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
If you don't like the price, move on. People are allowed to ask whatever they want for their guns.

DougJ
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't see anything there related to the use of an OLL in the shooting. Sounds like he brought down two rifles from WA and sold 'em. That crime being totaly unrelated to the shooting. I did not see where it stated what weapon was used, but since he was participating in the gathering at the restaurant before getting into an altercation and the subsequent shooting, I doubt he had a rifle slung over his shoulder...

sirnonz
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM

i guess im asking too much for my 1 acog equipped ar for 2150. ;)

Dirtbiker
04-22-2010, 1:14 PM
The police didn't mention OLL. The guy is an illegal arms dealer and a killer to boot. Do you really think he had a BB and a ten round mag??? :rolleyes:

Hang him high.

jaq
04-22-2010, 1:43 PM
That link doesn't say anything about him even using ARs in the actual shooting. It doesn't even sound like they know he did the actual shooting...

If you had read a little more carefully, you would have noted that the suspect's name is Nerses Galstyan. The snippet you quoted refers to his brother, "Officials say the brother, Samuel Galstyan, was at the restaurant but did not fire a weapon. He has not yet been charged."

CSACANNONEER
04-22-2010, 1:51 PM

Or better yet, build your own from a 0% casting or an 80% lower. That way, you don't have to commit a crime and obliterae the SNs. Since you're the manufacturer, you just don't put them on in the first place.

If you don't like the price, move on. People are allowed to ask whatever they want for their guns.

Uh, we are talking about illegal purchases here. So, no! people are not allowed to ask what they want for their illegal guns. That would be a crime! I suggest that you should not buy a firearm illegally, no matter what the price is.

big red
04-22-2010, 2:06 PM
It sounds like the whole object of the article from what you guys are saying was to panic the public into supporting more gun control. What chance do you think you have of some reporter going out and correcting all the errors in the story when that story accomplishes what the politicians want? More gun control support from the general public

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2010, 2:25 PM
Or better yet, build your own from a 0% casting or an 80% lower. That way, you don't have to commit a crime and obliterae the SNs. Since you're the manufacturer, you just don't put them on in the first place.

Last time I checked, building your own from an unmarked short receiver you still have to number it in some manner and record that with either DoJ or BATFE, can't remember which now.... and someone will correct me if I am wrong. You can number it any way you want, but it needs to have a number.

All firearms manufactured post GCA 68 are required to have a unique identifying number.

yelohamr
04-22-2010, 2:37 PM
Thank God the shooter wasn't an UOCer, then the bashing would begin...again.

five.five-six
04-22-2010, 2:40 PM
someone needs to do something like this with a samurai sword to get the attention off of us, but then again I do love my katana and would hate to have to install some bullet button equivalent on it

edged weppons have the ultimate HI-CAP magazine

SuperSet
04-22-2010, 2:48 PM
AP has just released another update. It looks like an OLL was not involved in the shooting, just in the previously-mentioned weapons charge. This thread title should be changed.

--

Man charged with murder in LA restaurant shooting

By THOMAS WATKINS (AP) – 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES — A man suspected of opening fire after a fatal dispute broke out at a birthday memorial in a North Hollywood restaurant has been charged with four counts of murder and one count of mayhem, authorities said Thursday.

Nerses Galstyan, 26, was being held in Seattle in lieu of $4 million bail. Federal agents arrested Galstyan and his brother there two days earlier.

Officials said video surveillance confirmed Galstyan was at the Hot Spot Cafe on April 3 and left after the shooting that killed four men and injured two others.

His brother, Samuel Galstyan, 24, was also in the restaurant but is not believed to have fired any shots, robbery-homicide Capt. Kevin McClure said.

Authorities released the younger brother, but McClure said detectives were looking at any role he might have had in the attack or in helping Nerses Galstyan get to Washington state.

"We do think he was substantially involved," McClure said.

The brothers were attending a memorial for an acquaintance who had died in a traffic accident a year earlier when Nerses Galstyan got into a dispute with several men.

In anger, he fired off multiple rounds from a handgun, officials said. Police have said the Galstyan brothers are Armenian, as were most of the victims.

The four men who died were Harut Baburyan, 28; Sarkis Karadjian, 26; Vardan Tofalyan, 31; and Hayk Yegnanyan, 25.

The district attorney's office will not decide whether to seek the death penalty until the case moves closer to trial.

Separately, a federal grand jury has indicted Nerses Galstyan on suspicion of dealing firearms without a license and possessing a weapon with an obliterated serial number.

Super Spy
04-22-2010, 3:20 PM
This isn't posted in the marketplace, therefore we can bash on price gouging and high price all day long and not violate any rules! Only a fool would pay that much! It's not like it was a JP run-n-gun special or anything.....it probably wasn't even anything cool like the spikes pirate or zombie version either.

Fate
04-22-2010, 3:26 PM
Last time I checked, building your own from an unmarked short receiver you still have to number it in some manner and record that with either DoJ or BATFE, can't remember which now.... and someone will correct me if I am wrong. You can number it any way you want, but it needs to have a number.

All firearms manufactured post GCA 68 are required to have a unique identifying number.

False.

A home built (0 or 80%) rifle/pistol only needs a serial number if it is going to be sold. It's not a crime to own one you made without a SN. That goes for pistols too. Neither is required to be registered.

The GCA SN requirement only applies to firearms manufacturers producing items for sale (or importers).

GuyW
04-22-2010, 3:28 PM
yeah - you're wrong.

RRangel
04-22-2010, 3:34 PM
Let any bad intentions against freedom bring all the media attention it can possibly bear. The biased statements aren't going to fly as the ultimate narrative anymore. Today there is alternative news and we know the truth.

With that being said, if you're looking for an upfront statement from the LAPD brass don't hold your breath. They have a terrible reputation for misrepresenting firearms. Of course you can expect this since anti-freedom politicians appoint the chief in the first place.

wheels
04-22-2010, 3:38 PM
who would pay $3600?
Somebody who's looking to avoid background checks and get ahold of a gun with no serial numbers. Frankly i'm surprised it was only $3600. Given the circumstances, he probably could have gotten a lot more for it.

Don't forget the FBI or ATF agent probably won't try to wheel and deal much - just get the sale and bust completed - the money goes right back into the evidence locker.

pullnshoot25
04-22-2010, 3:40 PM
AP has just released another update. It looks like an OLL was not involved in the shooting, just in the previously-mentioned weapons charge. This thread title should be changed.

--

Man charged with murder in LA restaurant shooting

By THOMAS WATKINS (AP) 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES A man suspected of opening fire after a fatal dispute broke out at a birthday memorial in a North Hollywood restaurant has been charged with four counts of murder and one count of mayhem, authorities said Thursday.

Nerses Galstyan, 26, was being held in Seattle in lieu of $4 million bail. Federal agents arrested Galstyan and his brother there two days earlier.

Officials said video surveillance confirmed Galstyan was at the Hot Spot Cafe on April 3 and left after the shooting that killed four men and injured two others.

His brother, Samuel Galstyan, 24, was also in the restaurant but is not believed to have fired any shots, robbery-homicide Capt. Kevin McClure said.

Authorities released the younger brother, but McClure said detectives were looking at any role he might have had in the attack or in helping Nerses Galstyan get to Washington state.

"We do think he was substantially involved," McClure said.

The brothers were attending a memorial for an acquaintance who had died in a traffic accident a year earlier when Nerses Galstyan got into a dispute with several men.

In anger, he fired off multiple rounds from a handgun, officials said. Police have said the Galstyan brothers are Armenian, as were most of the victims.

The four men who died were Harut Baburyan, 28; Sarkis Karadjian, 26; Vardan Tofalyan, 31; and Hayk Yegnanyan, 25.

The district attorney's office will not decide whether to seek the death penalty until the case moves closer to trial.

Separately, a federal grand jury has indicted Nerses Galstyan on suspicion of dealing firearms without a license and possessing a weapon with an obliterated serial number.

Maybe it was an AR pistol?

-hanko
04-22-2010, 3:48 PM

Read the actual requirements for marking.;)

-hanko

abusalim81
04-22-2010, 4:36 PM
I wonder if those anti-gun crowd understands that he could have done this with any weapon... They probably think the weapon made him do this horrific crime!

Armenians in Los Angeles are crazy... These things don't happen in Hayastan which is what our country is called in Armenian language. There are no gangs there!

Colt-45
04-22-2010, 4:52 PM
This sucks. The media and the antis will now turn their attention on OLL's :(

MRH
04-22-2010, 4:52 PM

Changed, I just saw snippets of the story at the time I was at work and the news conference was on the TV in the back ground.
Thanks

stormy_clothing
04-22-2010, 8:45 PM
who would pay $3600?

3600 for 2 spikes rifles, 1800 each, yeah thats not to far off what some dealers were charging on sep 2 last year.

This sucks. The media and the antis will now turn their attention on OLL's :(

Hows that any different from any other day, it's not like the world is over and all pro gun people are just going to roll over and play dead over a news article.

rromeo
04-22-2010, 9:13 PM

Uh, we are talking about illegal purchases here. So, no! people are not allowed to ask what they want for their illegal guns. That would be a crime! I suggest that you should not buy a firearm illegally, no matter what the price is.
I called the DOJ and they said that there are no laws regulating prices of illegal weapon sales.

Foulball
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I called the DOJ and they said that there are no laws regulating prices of illegal weapon sales.

Hahahaha!
Damn, we should tell Sacramento so they can start on a new law.

--

smarter
04-23-2010, 1:45 AM
Only if the state had the long gun registration this type of thing would never had happen!! :rolleyes: + sarcasm

CSACANNONEER
04-23-2010, 5:57 AM

Like others have already said, your "statement" is incorrect. There has NEVER been any requirement to put any markings on a firearm made for personal use until it is offered for sale or you try to put it into the NFA registry.

As long as they get sales tax and DROS fees, they could not care less.
Hahahaha!
Damn, we should tell Sacramento so they can start on a new law.

--

CnCFunFactory
04-23-2010, 7:29 AM

So we have decided via the thread...

1) It was not a night club, it was in fact a restaurant.
2)He did not use an OLL, it was in fact a handgun.
3)The Spikes reference was in regard to a previous act/charge.

To the OP, Great job! :rolleyes: