PDA

View Full Version : Pistols?

PanzerAce
02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Ok, I dont think this has been adressed yet, but is there any reason why we could not build these off list lowers into pistols? (I am not really up to speed re: ATF position on this). I know that we would need to get lowers that have never been used as a rifle or something like this, but is there any reason why the CA firearms laws would not allow this?

mrhappym1a
02-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Drop test.

PanzerAce
02-25-2006, 11:00 PM
ah, right, damnit.

blkA4alb
02-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Ok, I dont think this has been adressed yet, but is there any reason why we could not build these off list lowers into pistols? (I am not really up to speed re: ATF position on this). I know that we would need to get lowers that have never been used as a rifle or something like this, but is there any reason why the CA firearms laws would not allow this?
to my knowledge the lower has to be sold as a pistol lower, not as a standard ar-15 lower. it wouldn't have to be on the approved roster since you would assemble it yourself, much like you can build up a mac-11 etc. id sure like one as a pistol myself..:D

adamsreeftank
02-26-2006, 1:30 AM
I believe the CA AW law forbids any pistol with a magazine outside of the pistol grip. Thus, you would be manufacturing an AW, even with an unlisted lower. If it gets listed and registered, then I don't really know what would be "legal"

Josh
02-26-2006, 1:33 AM
it has to be detachable and outside of the grip to be considered an AW

grammaton76
02-26-2006, 2:53 AM
I've heard the saying "once a rifle, always a rifle". I believe it means that once the receiver is DROSed as a long gun, it's going to stay a long gun forever. And since you can't DROS it as a pistol due to it not having been drop-tested, you're forced to DROS it as a long gun, which means it can never be re-transferred as a pistol...

EBWhite
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
A person i know prior to 2000, bought a rifle lower and had the company change it in the log book from rifle too pistol and then registered in in 2000 as a pistol when the AW reg came up...
They sent him the comfirmation letter stating that one is a pistol :-)

TonyM
02-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I've heard the saying "once a rifle, always a rifle". I believe it means that once the receiver is DROSed as a long gun, it's going to stay a long gun forever. And since you can't DROS it as a pistol due to it not having been drop-tested, you're forced to DROS it as a long gun, which means it can never be re-transferred as a pistol...

Yep. you are correct. Once sold as a rifle, always a rifle. Stick a pistol upper on one sold as a rifle and you have built a SBR and broken the NFA regulations.

EBWhite
02-26-2006, 10:53 AM
According to the ATF, as long as the lower has never been built on, it can be made into a pistol only if changed in the manufac. log book