PDA

View Full Version : Long Gun Registry and Choking the System

not-fishing
04-22-2010, 9:35 AM
So this is an argument against the Registry - due to cost.

Being a good Subject of California if this law passes I'll have to register all of my long guns. :sarcasm:

I must have more than 20 between deer hunting, pheasant hunting, match shooting and supply enough firearms for my family to shoot with.

Plus my OLLs (one built up as a High power target rifle)

Plus my C & R rifles

So I load up all of my firearms into the SUV and travel to the local Police Department of my choice how about Sac metro?

I figure it will take about 4 hours to register and verify all of these long guns. :43:

So if there were about 2 million long gun owners who average 1 hour each for the registration the registration would cost the various Police Departments $200,000,000 . and we all know they have the money

I know Canada spent Billions on long gun - I guess I'd better check out Canada's population count and see how it compares to California.

Ah-Ha, Canada's Population was estimated at 34,077,000 (2006) so California (same or larger pop.) should expect a $2,000,000,000 for the Registry.

bwiese
04-22-2010, 9:37 AM
They won't make you roll up to the PD or Sheriff's office.

You'd (prospectively - we can beat this!) just send in your gun data under penalty of perjury.

JDoe
04-22-2010, 9:39 AM
California pop. = 36 mil

Canada pop = 33 mil

Looks like your 200 million estimate is a bit low.

demnogis
04-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Law would only apply to new purchases last I read...

Sgt Raven
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Law would only apply to new purchases last I read...
Voly reg everything, nail guns, staple guns, flood the system. Garbage in, Garbage out. :p

big red
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Anybody really didn't expect this to come along? It is just one more step in disarming the honest citizen in this state. Then they will round the guns up and only the criminals and the cops will have guns while we are in the middle getting shot. Welcome to california. Use your ballot and vote out every incumbent in office regardless of record. Flushing the system is the only way and we do it district by district.

M198
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Anybody really didn't expect this to come along? It is just one more step in disarming the honest citizen in this state. Then they will round the guns up and only the criminals and the cops will have guns while we are in the middle getting shot. Welcome to california. Use your ballot and vote out every incumbent in office regardless of record. Flushing the system is the only way and we do it district by district.

Registering new long gun purchases is one thing. Confiscation is another. Between all the "tragic boating accidents" and people who'd rather move or fight, it's a whole other ball game. Handguns are already registered, so this is just the next step on the slippery slope.

Ten Rounder
04-22-2010, 1:59 PM
My understnading this about new purchases ONLY. Or is it RETRO too?

demnogis
04-22-2010, 5:08 PM
There has always been voluntary registration of rifles (not OLLs) to this day.

This will only mandate new purchases be registered. Of course, if you get a firearm confiscated that is not registered to you, it will be destroyed "as a nuisance" and not returnable to you.

misterjake
04-22-2010, 5:15 PM
TWaBOp54TWs

Register them first so picking them up will be easier for Feinstein and Co.

cjsv
04-27-2010, 9:27 PM
I am a Canadian who is moving to California this year - and I can say - the registry has never solved any crime in Canada and it has cost 2-3 billion dollars. It has been a massive boondoggle. It has also led to confiscation when elderly gun collectors have been arrested for "paper crimes" and their large collections seized. It has also led to other types of confiscation. Some with compensation, some without.

We are close to repealing the long gun registry with a lot of hard work. The fight continues.

CCWFacts
04-27-2010, 9:58 PM
I haven't read the bill, but I would assume that (this being California) there's a reg fee to cover the costs? That way, rather than being a financial burden for the state, in fact it will be hundreds of millions of dollars for the SEIU? You pay them to violate your rights and take away your privacy! What a deal!

Not sure if this is correct but I heard a story that Canada's system didn't have a reg fee, and people were registering their shovels, their dogs, their furniture, anything. Anyone know if that's true?