PDA

View Full Version : proof of ownership/dros firearm information?

Ballistic043
04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
if someone looses the original receipt to their firearm, is there any way to obtain a copy from the place of purchase/DOJ?

some of my guns were confiscated from a local agency, and i need to go get them back with Proof of ownership. problem is some of the receipts/DROS info are Missing In Action, so how does one go about proving that the gun in question is actually theirs?

yes yes, i know. keep receipts and copies everywhere. mistakes made, lessons learned. what can i do now. go to turners and see if my info is still in their database? it would be nice if i can just get another copy and be on my way

Sinixstar
04-22-2010, 10:31 AM
if someone looses the original receipt to their firearm, is there any way to obtain a copy from the place of purchase/DOJ?

some of my guns were confiscated from a local agency, and i need to go get them back with Proof of ownership. problem is some of the receipts/DROS info are Missing In Action, so how does one go about proving that the gun in question is actually theirs?

yes yes, i know. keep receipts and copies everywhere. mistakes made, lessons learned. what can i do now. go to turners and see if my info is still in their database? it would be nice if i can just get another copy and be on my way

You can request a list of all guns that have been DROS'd to you from the DOJ... the info is on the DOJ site... shouldn't be too hard to find, it's in the FAQ.

GrizzlyGuy
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
See this DOJ FAQ question:

My firearm is in the possession of a court or law enforcement agency. What do I need to do to get it back? (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#33)

When you send in the Law Enforcement Gun Release Application described there, you are essentially "claiming" the firearms and don't need a receipt. DOJ will send back certificates, and those are actually what the LEA is looking for (as per the law). You give the certificates to the LEA and they give you back your guns. If they are trying to make things more complicated than that, contact a lawyer so that the lawyer can straighten them out.

586L-Frame
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
You can submit a request to Ca DOJ for a list of your handguns.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

Ballistic043
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
thanks thats all i needed to know! i was honestly afraid that info might be hard to get. i guess i can rest assured.

ive already sent off the LEGR forms so im just waiting for the OK. oh, it will be a happy day

REH
04-22-2010, 6:31 PM
There is no information given to DOJ about a long on the DROS. Then there is the gun that was bought before the "must transfer through a dealer". No info in the DOJ data base. What can be done then?

smt77
04-22-2010, 8:50 PM
If you know when and where the purchase was made, the dealer can pull that information for you if they are willing to take the time to dig through old records. Just make sure that you have a relatively specific idea of when the firearm was purchased to make it easy for them.

SVT-40
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM

When the firearms were "confiscated" did they give you a receipt? Or some paperwork indicating what was taken as evidence?

They should have.

If so you can use this "receipt" as a proof of ownership.

tenpercentfirearms
04-23-2010, 6:33 AM
When the firearms were "confiscated" did they give you a receipt? Or some paperwork indicating what was taken as evidence?

They should have.

If so you can use this "receipt" as a proof of ownership.

Not necessarily. Just because it was in your possession, doesn't mean you own it. Or I have been hearing a lot of guys losing their guns because their prohibited buddy had it and they didn't know he was prohibited.

Only handguns are registered and only after 1991. Your best bet is to see if the gun shop you bought them from has receipts.

I print receipts up for guys more than I should have to lately, but it is easy for me to do and I do it upon request. With an e-mail address, I could just send it to you.

JDay
04-23-2010, 6:44 AM
You should keep in mind that there is no serial number on the DROS for long guns. In any case you should request copies of the 4473 forms from the FFL. They have to keep these in their records for 20 years or so and it will contain the serial.

Ballistic043
04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
i have another question regarding intra familial rifle transfers thats always been bugging me. has nothing to do with my case.

is there any way to put a long gun gifted to someone (By their mother or father) in THEIR name or prove that its 'theirs'? i know its not REQUIRED but is it POSSIBLE?

say person A has several rifles and shotguns that have been gifted to them over the years through their father or mother, but person A wants some actual PROOF that the guns were given to them as a gift, and not just loaned or borrowed. so that the original purchaser, for whatever reason, can not just simply claim the rifle does not belong to person A when they feel its appropriate. or lets say the original purchaser recently became unable to purchase or own firearms but before so gifted a rifle to his daughter. then what happens to the "Gifted" Rifle? there is no proof that it was gifted right?

basically the person does not want anyone else claiming the rifle is theirs when clearly it was given to them

back to my case: YES the property receipt was given to me but it clearly says on the top of the paper "This property receipt does not constitute proof of ownership". nor should it!

GrizzlyGuy
04-26-2010, 4:27 PM
is there any way to put a long gun gifted to someone (By their mother or father) in THEIR name or prove that its 'theirs'? i know its not REQUIRED but is it POSSIBLE?

The person could voluntarily register the long gun, see "Voluntary Registration" here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration#Voluntary_Registration).

Ron-Solo
04-26-2010, 4:47 PM
i have another question regarding intra familial rifle transfers thats always been bugging me. has nothing to do with my case.

I did this with a rifle I gave my son and he now has a letter from DOJ with the serial number and showing that he owns it.

Not required, but I did it specifically so he could prove ownership.