PDA

View Full Version : Nagant Problem

CEDaytonaRydr
04-21-2010, 9:08 PM
I've got a barrel that is apparently shot out on a 91/30. It's putting keyholes on the paper at 50 yards with Russian light ball.

I'm told you can slug the barrel, use larger diameter bullets and reload for Nagants after they do this but is there any factory or milsurp ammo I can get for these? I've got enough reloading "chores" at the moment... :o

Flyin Brian
04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
How's the crown? It may need to be counterbored, which would be a waste of time and money since you can get them for $99.

Spiggy
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I see your problem!

It's a Mosin!

metalhead357
04-22-2010, 7:35 AM
I'd try a re-crown. If not just buy a used barrel..... or go for broke and rebarrel to ummin' like .308:p

But yep; hard to argue for major work on these critters: I've run through a few over the years and sometimes just cheaper o go get a New (used) one........

hoozaru
04-22-2010, 7:40 AM
wait for the next Cash for guns event, then use that money to buy a new one

CEDaytonaRydr
04-22-2010, 8:48 AM
I'd try a re-crown. If not just buy a used barrel...

So, if the barrel slugs out to .310 or .309, I can probably get away recrowning?

How much material will I have to take off the end for it to be adequate?

metalhead357
04-22-2010, 9:36 AM
So, if the barrel slugs out to .310 or .309, I can probably get away recrowning?

I'm unfortunately not the mosin guy. I've had a couple or three guns recrowned over the years with ok results (at least bought a little more life out of them for a while). I'd stick around for more answers from more of the Mosin guys if I were you...... but you do have options! That much I know.

hypnoman
04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
You don't have to take too much material off. Just search diy recrown sources. . . there are many. It take very little work to recrown. slugging your barrel is a quick way to find out diameter of your bore. I have several Mosins some .311 and others .313 and even .314. I have a bunch of yugoslav 180 gr rds at .311 which shoot perfect for the barrel that fits it. But beware that even in my ammo stash (I measure every rd) I found the bullets ranged from .309 to .3115. And I pulled a random 50 rds to find the powder charge ranged from 46.7 to 48.8 grains. That should explain some of those "flyers" I used to get. I would definitely slug that barrel first . . . it's quicker than a "recrown" to get at come facts. Good luck.

Argonaut
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
You don't have to take too much material off. Just search diy recrown sources. . . there are many. It take very little work to recrown. slugging your barrel is a quick way to find out diameter of your bore. I have several Mosins some .311 and others .313 and even .314. I have a bunch of yugoslav 180 gr rds at .311 which shoot perfect for the barrel that fits it. But beware that even in my ammo stash (I measure every rd) I found the bullets ranged from .309 to .3115. And I pulled a random 50 rds to find the powder charge ranged from 46.7 to 48.8 grains. That should explain some of those "flyers" I used to get. I would definitely slug that barrel first . . . it's quicker than a "recrown" to get at come facts. Good luck.

I think this is good advise but it shows the difference between Russian "Quality" and German or American quality. Generally the Russian products are junk. They belong in a gun collection to show how bad they really are.

Falstaff
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Throw it in the garbage and get a new one fer christ's sake!! You can get them on sale at Big 5 for 89.00! (or 3 times that in the ppt forum :) ) That's what so great about the mosies, they are disposable!

Mosins are the kleenex of the gun world!

Noonanda
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
These last two posts really show the ignorance of some people

metalhead357
04-22-2010, 1:22 PM
These last two posts really show the ignorance of some people

I hear ya'... I hope they were said in jest....but then again- the more peeps feel these guns suck-- the longer they remain around & remain nice & cheap.

I jest about mini 30's and mini 14's all the time, yet own one..... mosins not much different: they suit a purpose and/or a want....if you aint got the purpose nor got the want-- you'd never understand!!!!!!!

CEDaytonaRydr
04-22-2010, 2:02 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll slug the barrel and let you know how it goes.

Now, if I could just find out where someone sells .32 lead balls, I'd be set.

Flyin Brian
04-22-2010, 2:38 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll slug the barrel and let you know how it goes.

Now, if I could just find out where someone sells .32 lead balls, I'd be set.

Walmart, fishing dept.

Interloper
04-22-2010, 2:41 PM
Geeze what's up with the Mosin bashing? Does it stem from ignorance or simple penis envy?
:confused:

CEDaytonaRydr
04-22-2010, 2:45 PM
Walmart, fishing dept.

:o

That would have never crossed my mind.

Large split shot, I suppose...?

metalhead357
04-22-2010, 2:50 PM
Geeze what's up with the Mosin bashing? Does it stem from ignorance or simple penis envy?

I think (simple) ignorance. Have a buddy that was sooooooo against "tired Iron" and 10X moreso about the mosin until I got him to fire it. He about shat his pants and wanted to know when the next Big 5 sale was on. He's got 2 now;)

RawImpact
04-22-2010, 3:09 PM
I think this is good advise but it shows the difference between Russian "Quality" and German or American quality. Generally the Russian products are junk. They belong in a gun collection to show how bad they really are.

To make a statement like this makes me realize you have no respect for the Mosin Nagants at all. The value of the rifle isn't in the work, but in its history. That's why you will see Mosins with carvings go for more than those without.

Throw it in the garbage and get a new one fer christ's sake!! You can get them on sale at Big 5 for 89.00! (or 3 times that in the ppt forum ) That's what so great about the mosies, they are disposable!

Mosins are the kleenex of the gun world!

As are your posts

Interloper
04-22-2010, 3:29 PM

Get something that has a tapered end like worm, bass, or bullet sinkers. Makes them easier to start. Get the variety pack so you can choose the best fit. Another helpful trick is to use an almost bore sized wooden dowel and cut it into six inch sections. Reason being, if you try to drive a full length rod into the barrel it will bend and break. Oh yeah....Lube the barrel really well first! And don't hit the muzzle with a metal hammer!

hypnoman
04-22-2010, 3:42 PM
CEDaytonaRydr,

Someone once told me to get 1/8 egg sinkers from the fish tackle dept. and use several sections of 1/4" dowels to drive the weight through the barrel. First, I had to tap the weights a little with a hammer to expand their diameter out. Next, I grease one up and inserted it through the muzzle. I used "disposable chopsticks" (use strong ones) wrapping the tip of the first one with a patch (like a Q-tip) to keep it centered while you drive the slug through . . . a little messy, but at the end you'll know the exact size of your barrel - both the lands and the groove . . . and the truth shall set you free!!

Spiggy
04-22-2010, 6:27 PM

Argonaut exists on the C&R forum to throw in the "mauser variable" in non-mauser related threads.

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-22-2010, 6:46 PM

I'll put $10 that says a good Mosin will out-shoot you any day of the week.

gorblimey
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I think a recrown with do fsck-all for keyholes. And it's trivially easy to clean up a crown yourself:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=811/Products/Barrel_Chamfering_Cutters

Flyin Brian
04-23-2010, 7:28 AM

I used the sliding sinkers, the ones that are football shaped with a hole through the centerline. The dowel section trick works well, and also as was mentioned, you have to get it started in the bore with a hammer, so make sure you dont knock the crown and make it worse :P

You never did say how the crown looks on your rifle now. Are there any nicks or damage? This could cause key-holing, because the gasses can exit the bore unevenly and cause the bullet to tumble.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-23-2010, 9:01 AM
I used the sliding sinkers, the ones that are football shaped with a hole through the centerline. The dowel section trick works well, and also as was mentioned, you have to get it started in the bore with a hammer, so make sure you dont knock the crown and make it worse :P

So, should I go in from the chamber? Or will that damage the throat? I've seen videos on how to slug a barrel but those were on pistols.

You never did say how the crown looks on your rifle now. Are there any nicks or damage? This could cause key-holing, because the gasses can exit the bore unevenly and cause the bullet to tumble.

It "looks" fine. It completely swallows a .308 diameter bullet but it appears to have no damage or nicks on it. A .303 British bullet fits nice and snug...

Flyin Brian
04-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I did it exactly like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFaJlUVs1Y

7breaths
04-25-2010, 10:36 AM
beartooth bullets can probably help for .32 lead balls

The Custard Pirate
04-25-2010, 11:09 AM

None of the above. In my case its experience: bolt handle too stiff to operate easily and placed too far forward for good leverage, so the average rate of fire will just about equal a good single shot rifle, and a stock carefully engineered to transmit maximum felt recoil. I take that back, rate of fire will never equal that of a good single shot.

Fate
04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
None of the above. In my case its experience: bolt handle too stiff to operate easily and placed too far forward for good leverage, so the average rate of fire will just about equal a good single shot rifle, and a stock carefully engineered to transmit maximum felt recoil. I take that back, rate of fire will never equal that of a good single shot.

Did you ever clean the cosmoline out of the bolt?

Try cycling it with left hand for faster cycling if using from bench rest and right handed shooting.

Stock is designed to be used with arm in a "chicken wing" position. Shooting with a more modern, elbow tucked down and in hurts a lot more.

But your mind is made up. Fine with me. More cheap ammo on the market.

The Custard Pirate
04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
So, should I go in from the chamber?

No, insert it from the muzzle, use a wooden or nylon mallet or even a foot long piece of two by four to drive it in. Don't rest the stock on the floor while you are pounding, either, grasp the fore stock a couple of inches down from the muzzle and keep it off the floor.

The Custard Pirate
04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Did you ever clean the cosmoline out of the bolt?

Try cycling it with left hand for faster cycling if using from bench rest and right handed shooting.

Stock is designed to be used with arm in a "chicken wing" position. Shooting with a more modern, elbow tucked down and in hurts a lot more.

But your mind is made up. Fine with me. More cheap ammo on the market.

The bolt was clean. I have seen film of Russian soldiers working the bolt by bracing the buttstock on their thigh and slapping the bolt with the palm of the hand so I know it isn't just me.

jr916
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
...why keep the stock off the floor? I'm about to slug my barrel, and that seems like it'd be a huge hassle to hold the rifle in the air while trying to pound an oversized piece of lead down the bore.

TRAP55
04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Why?.....Because you don't want to crack the stock. Easiest way is to remove it from the stock, and place the tang on a piece of soft pine 2x4.
Got a pic of the crown? And one with a bullet inserted in the muzzle backwards?

Interloper
04-25-2010, 8:26 PM

You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Interloper
04-25-2010, 8:30 PM
Why?.....Because you don't want to crack the stock.

You won't crack the stock. Firing the gun generates far more stress on the stock than you can possibly produce tapping a fishing sinker down the bore.
Think people.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-25-2010, 8:50 PM
You won't crack the stock. Firing the gun generates far more stress on the stock than you can possibly produce tapping a fishing sinker down the bore.
Think people.

I was going to say...

I've slammed my rifle butt on the ground to check for safety many times. To this day, I've yet to have a stock explode on me. First time for everything, I suppose but...

I did it exactly like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFaJlUVs1Y

Thanks!

I have no idea how I missed that. I've subscribed to his you tube page and watch almost every video he posts. Guess I'm slackin'... :o

hypnoman
04-25-2010, 9:22 PM
CEDaytonaRydr,

Did you slug it yet? I can't wait to find what size bullet your MN takes.

metalhead357
04-26-2010, 7:48 AM

I normally wouldn't--- but in this case I'd say a +1 on that. Would seem you'd need to clean the bolt and/or chamber face if you're having sticking issues. Mosin can/do have sweet & easy actions.............

CEDaytonaRydr
04-26-2010, 9:41 AM
CEDaytonaRydr,

Did you slug it yet? I can't wait to find what size bullet your MN takes.

Not yet...

Its still on my "to do" list. I've been out of town for a few days...

The Custard Pirate
04-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Maybe it is you who don't; the Mosin Nagant rate of fire is 10-12 rounds per minute. I can beat that easily with my Ruger No.1.

Spiggy
04-26-2010, 3:42 PM
^ weak arms?

CEDaytonaRydr
04-26-2010, 8:36 PM
I can beat that easily with my Ruger No.1.

Yeah, and this: ____________ is 9 inches, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously guys, I asked a serious question and I thank everyone who posted advice. Can we please cut the cross talk about who's gun is better than who's? That was not my intent when I asked this question.

Interloper
04-26-2010, 8:42 PM
words

Wow you are so cool, and your opinions are so interesting!

The Custard Pirate
04-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah, and this: ____________ is 9 inches, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously guys, I asked a serious question and I thank everyone who posted advice. Can we please cut the cross talk about who's gun is better than who's? That was not my intent when I asked this question.

Have you ever fired a Ruger No.1 or even examined one closely? Apparently not, otherwise you would not be so sarcastic. Just out of curiosity, what bolt actions besides the Mosin Nagant have you fired, exclusive of rimfires, that is?

I have a very low opinion of Mosins and it comes from over forty years of shooting. By the way, have I mentioned the Chinese puzzle of a bolt yet? Have you tried to take yours apart and re assemble it? No doubt one of your vast experience can can tell us off the top of your head the symptoms of the two ways it can be re assembled the wrong way. Oh, I almost forgot, I was a little generous in stating its rate of fire, WHB Smith's tome Small Arms of the World only rates it at 8 to 10 rounds per minute.

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a very low opinion of Mosins and it comes from over forty years of shooting.

Which is all anecdotal evidence (see: worthless).
By the way, have I mentioned the Chinese puzzle of a bolt yet? Have you tried to take yours apart and re assemble it? No doubt one of your vast experience can can tell us off the top of your head the symptoms of the two ways it can be re assembled the wrong way.

Mosin bolts are very easy to disassemble. No idea where the "Chinese puzzle" part comes from, since it is indeed a load of B.S.

Not directed at me, but I'll respond:

Just out of curiosity, what bolt actions besides the Mosin Nagant have you fired, exclusive of rimfires, that is?

I own around 40 rifles, all of which are center-fire save for the Mossberg 151 and two M44s I have, and most of which are predominantly bolt-actions. How about yourself?

The Custard Pirate
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Mosin bolts are very easy to disassemble. No idea where the "Chinese puzzle" part comes from, since it is indeed a load of B.S.

I own around 40 rifles, all of which are center-fire save for the Mossberg 151 and two M44s I have, and most of which are predominantly bolt-actions. How about yourself?

Anecdotal evidence is only worthless if you don't value experience. I presently own about 30 rifles. If you own as many as you say, your enthusiasm for Mosins is difficult to fathom.

I never said the bolt was hard to disassemble, I said it could be reassembled incorrectly; and very easily in fact.

Since I am on the subject, I might as well mention the clumsy magazine and overly complicated feed system. Only the Russians could have come up with such a goofy system, probably because they couldn't figure out any other way to get a repeater to feed rimmed cartridges. It does work altho it requires a bolt that has to be milled entirely rather than turned on a lathe. Ah well, at least I never said it was a cheap rifle. Unless you go to sell it that is.
By the way, have any of you Mosin fans found the safety yet?

Flyin Brian
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

If you're having that much trouble assembling the bolt and you can't find the safety, maybe you should try a different hobby? ;)

CEDaytonaRydr
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Hey Doc. I heard a quote once that applies to the situation:

"Never argue with an idiot. They simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

The fact that anyone would suggest that a single shot, falling block rifle has a faster firing rate than a magazine fed, bolt action rifle, with the capability to accept stripper clips is a testament to that individual's ignorance.

Alex$
04-27-2010, 2:55 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Slug your bore and examine the crown. Worst case you have a wall hanger, buy another for the price.

There is a reason the design of the MN hasn't changed since 1891, (excluding length and graduation markings) it is dependable. It works every time, (unless you are less adept than a back country Russian peasant). It feeds rimmed ammo better than a lever action ever did and it is simple to build.

Why fix what isn't broke?

Spiggy
04-27-2010, 3:11 PM
Anecdotal evidence is only worthless if you don't value experience. I presently own about 30 rifles. If you own as many as you say, your enthusiasm for Mosins is difficult to fathom.

I never said the bolt was hard to disassemble, I said it could be reassembled incorrectly; and very easily in fact.

Since I am on the subject, I might as well mention the clumsy magazine and overly complicated feed system. Only the Russians could have come up with such a goofy system, probably because they couldn't figure out any other way to get a repeater to feed rimmed cartridges. It does work altho it requires a bolt that has to be milled entirely rather than turned on a lathe. Ah well, at least I never said it was a cheap rifle. Unless you go to sell it that is.
SVT38&40, DP28, DS39... Maxim?

PK/PKM, SVD... etc etc?

Fate
04-27-2010, 4:12 PM
A note from Hollywoodgrad, Russia.

Beloved Comrade,

Ve are sorry to inform you ve vill not have a spot for you in neweest game show, "Are you smarter than a Russian peasant?"

For eeven a child of 4 can properly assemble bolt for Mosin Nagant rifle. Eet ees like second nature and most basic for even peasant serfs. How you can assemble incorrectly and yet find a vay to insert eento rifle ees not only danger but sad.

Furthermore, that yew admit being unable to find safety on our most famous infantry veapon makes us vonder if you could find your vay to the studio for taping. Thus ve must decline your application. Ve suggest you try rifle game show down road, "Fail like the French!" as you seem most suited.

Regards,

Vasilly Eeen
Producer

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM

Beloved Comrade,

Ve are sorry to inform you ve vill not have a spot for you in neweest game show, "Are you smarter than a Russian peasant?"

For eeven a child of 4 can properly assemble bolt for Mosin Nagant rifle. Eet ees like second nature and most basic for even peasant serfs. How you can assemble incorrectly and yet find a vay to insert eento rifle ees not only danger but sad.

Furthermore, that yew admit being unable to find safety on our most famous infantry veapon makes us vonder if you could find your vay to the studio for taping. Thus ve must decline your application. Ve suggest you try rifle game show down road, "Fail like the French!" as you seem most suited.

Regards,

Vasilly Eeen
Producer

LOL

The Custard Pirate
04-29-2010, 9:58 AM
Hey Doc. I heard a quote once that applies to the situation:

"Never argue with an idiot. They simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

The fact that anyone would suggest that a single shot, falling block rifle has a faster firing rate than a magazine fed, bolt action rifle, with the capability to accept stripper clips is a testament to that individual's ignorance.

How many Ruger No.1's have you fired?

The Custard Pirate
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
LOL

Originally Posted by Fate View Post

Beloved Comrade,

Regards,

Vasilly Eeen
Producer

I never said an incorrectly assembled bolt could be inserted into the rifle, I said it was easy to assemble incorrectly nor did I say that I couldn't find the safety, I asked if you could.
Because of your penchant for making simple mistakes, I certainly hope you are an academic rather than a physician. At least that way you would be limited to warping young minds rather than killing people with your mistakes.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-29-2010, 11:10 AM

I own a No.3... :rolleyes:

You can leave now.

Fate
04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
You're quite the man. Go!
Arrggh! The [custard] pirate is after my booty! (See 0:08)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AnKysErG4hA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AnKysErG4hA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FS00008
04-29-2010, 1:22 PM

I have a No. 1 and a No. 3. You can take your idiocy somewhere else, like the Brady Campaign, or Arfcom.

Also, you must either be missing a hand or a weakling to be limited to 10-12 rounds a minute with your Mosin. When I'm using my Finnish Brass Stripper clips I can get 15-17 aimed shots a minute out easily. And I'm not even that great with my Mosins. You have an issue with the bolt? Get a bet/swept back bolt body. Or on second thought, maybe you should have your firearms privileges revoked so that there are more firearms for those of us with brains.

The Custard Pirate
04-29-2010, 1:24 PM
I own a No.3... :rolleyes:

You can leave now.

Even with a No.3, you should be able to beat the measly 10 - 12 rnds. per minute the Mosin is capable of. Unless you are physically handicapped, spastic or incredibly clumsy that is.

Milsurp Collector
04-29-2010, 2:03 PM
cG6ffw84XqU
3jB5r9h4Lgo
sB4eeWL0s2Y
KE6BBtjUig0

:)

Noonanda
04-29-2010, 2:06 PM

Actually the Magazine was designed by the Belgian arms manufacturers Emile and Leon Nagant. So your comment of "Only the Russians could have come up with such a goofy system" is an EPIC FAIL. And as mentioned their are many reliable Combat proven Semi-auto rifles designed around this cartridge.

If you are going to talk crap at least know what you are talking about. I own approximately 12-14 Mosin Nagants, and they are reliable and accurate weapons. I own rifles from almost all the main countries/participants of WW-2 and the Mosin is probably still my favorite, even over my Garand and my M-1 Carbine. Dont like the Mosin Nagant design, Well dont post when someone asks for advice or help with one then. Because you are not helping.

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-29-2010, 3:51 PM
Don't pull your head out of your *** too quickly there, Pirate. It might hurt.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-30-2010, 8:46 AM
Even with a No.3, you should be able to beat the measly 10 - 12 rnds. per minute...

Even with a No.3? :confused:

The Number 3 is identical in operation to the number 1. It's pretty much the same rifle. The rate of fire of the two will be identical.

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about, do you..? Do your homework before you relply on here. That way, you won't look like such a baffoon... :rolleyes:

paul0660
04-30-2010, 9:16 AM
This thread is finding out a lot more about posters than rifles.

The Custard Pirate
04-30-2010, 4:11 PM
Even with a No.3? :confused:

The Number 3 is identical in operation to the number 1. It's pretty much the same rifle. The rate of fire of the two will be identical.

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about, do you..? Do your homework before you relply on here. That way, you won't look like such a baffoon... :rolleyes:

And yet, you can't even spell buffoon correctly. Nothing you have said contradicts anything I've said: care to try logic and reason in your next post CED?

The Custard Pirate
04-30-2010, 4:14 PM
Actually the Magazine was designed by the Belgian arms manufacturers Emile and Leon Nagant. So your comment of "Only the Russians could have come up with such a goofy system" is an EPIC FAIL. And as mentioned their are many reliable Combat proven Semi-auto rifles designed around this cartridge.

If you are going to talk crap at least know what you are talking about. I own approximately 12-14 Mosin Nagants, and they are reliable and accurate weapons. I own rifles from almost all the main countries/participants of WW-2 and the Mosin is probably still my favorite, even over my Garand and my M-1 Carbine. Dont like the Mosin Nagant design, Well dont post when someone asks for advice or help with one then. Because you are not helping.

So you like Mosins, so what? It's still about the clumsiest solution possible. Even Gen. Motors Corvairs and AMC Pacers have their fans. I will note that Belgium passed on the design and adopted the Mauser system.

The Custard Pirate
04-30-2010, 4:29 PM
:)

I watched your video's with great interest, Milsurp. Did you notice how many times those guys fumbled while cycling the bolt? I would think a little bit before using them as testimonials for Mosin Nagants. I was most impressed by the left handed woman shooter. I am left handed so maybe I'll try the technique some time. Did you notice the man in the last video was using two fingers to fire his rifle? A lot of Russian soldiers do the same thing. Again, not so complimentary to the Mosin.

Alex$
04-30-2010, 5:52 PM
Pirate, give up, you are just making yourself look ever more foolish.

Milsurp Collector
04-30-2010, 5:57 PM
I watched your video's with great interest, Milsurp. Did you notice how many times those guys fumbled while cycling the bolt? I would think a little bit before using them as testimonials for Mosin Nagants. I was most impressed by the left handed woman shooter. I am left handed so maybe I'll try the technique some time. Did you notice the man in the last video was using two fingers to fire his rifle? A lot of Russian soldiers do the same thing. Again, not so complimentary to the Mosin.

Yes, I saw the fumbling. I don't think anyone is claiming that Mosins have the smoothest bolt of all bolt action rifles, but they are capable of much higher rates of fire than the 8-10 rounds per minute claimed in that book. ;)

The woman wasn't actually shooting left-handed, she was was just working the bolt with her left hand. I read somewhere that the Soviets also sometimes used the same technique.

EDIT- found another video with a Finn M39, no fumbles
Ryk5Ufyncbk

Alex$
04-30-2010, 6:06 PM
examine the crown, you are looking at the lands and grooves at the end of the barrel. Burrs, knicks, dents are what you are looking for. The lands and grooves should end consistently around the inner circumferance.

If you find something wrong, you will only need to take enough off to clean up the lands and grooves. Look at this video, very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

Milsurp Collector
04-30-2010, 6:10 PM
Remember that if the barrel has been counterbored (common with Mosins) then the new and actual crown is at the end of the counterbored area (inside the barrel). Recrowning the end of the barrel on a counterbored barrel would have no effect.

Alex$
04-30-2010, 6:16 PM
Very true, but I believe he stated that it wasn't counterbored. (sorry, I can't look back through some of the assinine posts to find it)

Remember that if the barrel has been counterbored (common with Mosins) then the new and actual crown is at the end of the counterbored area (inside the barrel). Recrowning the end of the barrel on a counterbored barrel would have no effect.

Flyin Brian
04-30-2010, 6:33 PM
And yet, you can't even spell buffoon correctly. Nothing you have said contradicts anything I've said: care to try logic and reason in your next post CED?

Sorry if this is off topic but the Custard Guzzler's posts have got me wondering, does this forum have an "ignore" feature?

Milsurp Collector
04-30-2010, 6:37 PM
Sorry if this is off topic but the Custard Guzzler's posts have got me wondering, does this forum have an "ignore" feature?

Yes, go to your User CP (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/usercp.php) and choose Edit Ignore List.

Tacom
04-30-2010, 7:01 PM
I think the most interesting post in this whole topic was Custard Pirate's comment about how he hopes Dr. Peter Venkman is an academic doctor and not a medical one. Ghost Busters man!

PS
I hope you're only a Custard Pirate and not a real one. lol

toolittletoolate
04-30-2010, 8:42 PM
I am going to apologize for my off topic post, but since this thread went off topic long ago I'm not too broken up about it.

First I shall address The Custard Pirate. You sir are the #1 reason I have never been a fan of Firearm forums. Those such as your self who, for lack of a better term, hijack someones thread and start to argue silly points not grounded in reality makes me sad. You sir shed a bad light on gun owners in California. Continuing to argue your points even after being proven wrong just goes to show your level of childishness. Second I feel, even though many already have, obligated to post MY experience with MY Mosins. They are some of the most reliable bolt action rifles I have EVER shot. Simple, and easy to use. Only a moron would be able to assemble a bolt with so few parts incorrectly. Yes the bolt handles are quite short but they still provide adequate leverage to actuate the bolt. And can provide an easy 12+ rounds a minute.
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x295/goldwest57/Mosin-Nagant/ - here is a link for pictures of my Mosins

Now back on subject. If this were to happen to any of my Mosins I'd just hang it on the wall and go buy a 'new' one for $90 and be done with it. Not worth the hassle in my eyes to spend the time and effort when a 'new' Mosin can be found with ease. Hope what ever you end up doing works for you CED.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-30-2010, 9:19 PM
Nothing you have said contradicts anything I've said: care to try logic and reason in your next post CED?

You didn't even know that a No.1 and a No.3 were the same rifle! You said "even with a number 3", proving that you're a complete idiot who knows nothing about firearms (even ones that you claim to own).

Also, as a courtesy, I'll point out to you that morons who realize that they've lost the argument often start correcting people's spelling and punctuation to try to save face.

Seriously... Go be an idiot somewhere else...

Spiggy
05-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyways, back to subject. If you'd like, it's possible to find bare barreled actions for the 91/30 and sometimes 44. It's a good start to a restoration project.

Interloper
05-01-2010, 9:12 AM
So how did the bore slugging turn out?

Fate
05-01-2010, 9:23 AM
So how did the bore slugging turn out?

Glad it's not Custard doing the slugging as he might hurt his hand trying to punch it.

BatBoy2 75
05-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I am going to apologize for my off topic post, but since this thread went off topic long ago I'm not too broken up about it.

First I shall address The Custard Pirate. You sir are the #1 reason I have never been a fan of Firearm forums. Those such as your self who, for lack of a better term, hijack someones thread and start to argue silly points not grounded in reality makes me sad. You sir shed a bad light on gun owners in California. Continuing to argue your points even after being proven wrong just goes to show your level of childishness. Second I feel, even though many already have, obligated to post MY experience with MY Mosins. They are some of the most reliable bolt action rifles I have EVER shot. Simple, and easy to use. Only a moron would be able to assemble a bolt with so few parts incorrectly. Yes the bolt handles are quite short but they still provide adequate leverage to actuate the bolt. And can provide an easy 12+ rounds a minute.
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x295/goldwest57/Mosin-Nagant/ - here is a link for pictures of my Mosins

Now back on subject. If this were to happen to any of my Mosins I'd just hang it on the wall and go buy a 'new' one for $90 and be done with it. Not worth the hassle in my eyes to spend the time and effort when a 'new' Mosin can be found with ease. Hope what ever you end up doing works for you CED.

What surprises me, is that people still fail to notice a forum troll. Trolls don't give rats *** about the thread topic, the forum community, or if their arguments make any sense . What they are looking for is attention; negative attention being the best kind.

Go look up Internet troll and their tactics. Custard Pirate fits the definition.

In the absence of an ignore feature on the forum, don't respond to anything a forum troll posts. Denied the attention they seek, they'll go F with some other forum.

Fate
05-01-2010, 4:17 PM
What surprises me, is that people still fail to notice a forum troll. Trolls don't give rats *** about the thread topic, the forum community, or if their arguments make any sense . What they are looking for is attention; negative attention being the best kind.

Go look up Internet troll and their tactics. Custard Pirate fits the definition.

In the absence of an ignore feature on the forum, don't respond to anything a forum troll posts. Denied the attention they seek, they'll go F with some other forum.

But mocking her is so much fun!

The Custard Pirate
05-02-2010, 1:27 PM

I didn't change the subject, Interloper did. No one hijacked 'your' thread, a bunch of guys decided to reply to my reply to Interloper. If you don't like it or my opinions, that's just tough: life is full of little disappointments; grownups deal with them. Kids and spoiled, immature adults whine and moan, which are you?

The Custard Pirate
05-02-2010, 1:32 PM

The last time I checked, the term troll applied to people who poked and prodded ,merely to generate a response. My posts, as always, are honest opinions backed by facts and logic. If you don't like them, you are free to disagree.

The Custard Pirate
05-02-2010, 1:36 PM
You didn't even know that a No.1 and a No.3 were the same rifle! You said "even with a number 3", proving that you're a complete idiot who knows nothing about firearms (even ones that you claim to own).

Also, as a courtesy, I'll point out to you that morons who realize that they've lost the argument often start correcting people's spelling and punctuation to try to save face.

Seriously... Go be an idiot somewhere else...

I know the differences between a No.1 and a No.3, I only replied in the diminutive because the No.3 is a cheap version of the No.1. I am truly sorry you can't spell, I was merely helping you with the difficult task of self improvement. Good luck on that project. If you wish to see my No.1, can post a pic as soon as my camera finishes recharging and I figure out how to post one.

Alex$
05-02-2010, 3:09 PM
... and I figure out how to post one.

It is as easy as putting a MN bolt assembly together. Once you've done it, its not hard.

FS00008
05-02-2010, 3:43 PM
Yea, if your posts actually had fact and/or logic we'd be taking you seriously. I think it's obvious from how discounted your OPINION is, that we think you're full of fecal matter.

BHP FAN
05-02-2010, 4:04 PM
Try the 180 instead.Try all the different ammo you can get your hands on.If you hand load try cast loads.I have yet to see a Mosin that won't shoot well.

mosinnagantm9130
05-02-2010, 4:52 PM

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/mosinnagantm9130/Motivators%20and%20Stuff/obvious_troll.jpg

It's called the cocking piece. The rest of your idiotic comments have been dealt with by others, so now to help the OP:

I'd try using different bullet weights (180 grn. surplus, maybe even 203 grn. brown bear or the like).

I'd also try shooting out to different distances. One of my 91/30's cannot hit anything less than 200 yards away.

pullnshoot25
05-02-2010, 5:49 PM
I see your problem!

It's a Mosin!

CRUELTY!!

CEDaytonaRydr
05-02-2010, 5:52 PM
. If you wish to see my No.1, can post a pic as soon as my camera finishes recharging and I figure out how to post one.

Maybe you can have your mommy help you... :rolleyes:

By the way, you left an "I" out of your sentence above, "grammar man".

Fate
05-02-2010, 6:42 PM
It is as easy as putting a MN bolt assembly together. Once you've done it, its not hard.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcYppAs6ZdI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcYppAs6ZdI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

pullnshoot25
05-02-2010, 8:51 PM

Silly question, but why haven't we hung out yet?

Interloper
05-02-2010, 9:17 PM
This thread cracks me up. I know I shouldn't keep clicking it but I can't help myself.
I do hope the OP will start a new thread when he has further developments, though. His original question is still interesting, despite the comical derail.

CEDaytonaRydr
05-02-2010, 9:25 PM
This thread cracks me up. I know I shouldn't keep clicking it but I can't help myself.
I do hope the OP will start a new thread when he has further developments, though. His original question is still interesting, despite the comical derail.

At this point, the OP is secretly hoping that the mods will delete the thread and ban the troll who jacked the thread.

mosinnagantm9130
05-02-2010, 9:27 PM
At this point, the OP is secretly hoping that the mods will delete the thread and ban the troll who jacked the thread.

Delete? Nooooooooooo.:eek:

This is like a C&R forum classic now.

Alex$
05-02-2010, 9:30 PM
But there are some hidden gems of knowledge that were given to the OP:

Slug bore
measure slug
if slug too large, (barrel worn out) hang gun on wall as art
if slug within tolerance, examine crown and repair
buy another MN, they are cheap for now (even if you repair your current one)

Have a nice day.

=)

BHP FAN
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
''It "looks" fine. It completely swallows a .308 diameter bullet but it appears to have no damage or nicks on it. A .303 British bullet fits nice and snug...''

that's because the .303 the 7.62x54r and the 7.7 Japanese all use the same bullet,and the bullet should be .311,or even .312, not .308.

Interloper
05-03-2010, 3:17 PM
That reminds of the bullet in the muzzle crown check. I have an M44 counterbored so deep that some of the case shoulder fits into the muzzle!

CEDaytonaRydr
05-03-2010, 3:53 PM
''It "looks" fine. It completely swallows a .308 diameter bullet but it appears to have no damage or nicks on it. A .303 British bullet fits nice and snug...''

that's because the .303 the 7.62x54r and the 7.7 Japanese all use the same bullet,and the bullet should be .311,or even .312, not .308.

I worded that incorrectly.

What I should have said was it completely swallows a Russian Light Ball 7.62x54R projectile but a .303 British bullet fits nice and snug. I just assumed that the 7.62x54R projectile was .308 because it was too loose.

FS00008
05-03-2010, 9:45 PM
@Custard Fail up there, Here's an example of a 17 round a minute Mosin, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZAVcxn8ym8&feature=channel

One could even increase that speed with more practice.