PDA

View Full Version : ?clarification on borrowing a firearm?????

luckystrike
04-21-2010, 8:58 PM
im trying to clarify what needs to be set in order for a friend to loan me his pistol.

I somewhat know what needs to be set in place for a longgun, but not a hand gun.

I do NOT fit the description of a prohibited person, I am 20 years old, I DO have an HSC.

and if anyone can digup the PC codes that would be cool.

thanks

Mssr. Eleganté
04-21-2010, 9:41 PM
CPC Section 12078(d)(1) is where the "loaning to a friend" exemption is...

§ 12078 (d)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent loan of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration and, when the firearm is a handgun, commencing January 1, 2003, the individual being loaned the handgun has a valid handgun safety certificate.

When is says "Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply..." it is talking about the requirement that firearms transfers be processed through a California licensed dealer.

luckystrike
04-21-2010, 9:55 PM
CPC Section 12078(d)(1) is where the "loaning to a friend" exemption is...

When is says "Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply..." it is talking about the requirement that firearms transfers be processed through a California licensed dealer.

awesome. it dosent say anything about having to be 21 or over?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-21-2010, 10:18 PM
awesome. it dosent say anything about having to be 21 or over?

Nope. Section 12072(a)(3)(A) says you have to be at least 18 to be lent a firearm of any type, and at least 21 to be sold a handgun.

12072(a)(3)(A) No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual
under 21 years of age.

Since this is just a loan, you only have to be 18 years old.

luckystrike
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Nope. Section 12072(a)(3)(A) says you have to be at least 18 to be lent a firearm of any type, and at least 21 to be sold a handgun.

Since this is just a loan, you only have to be 18 years old.

No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual
under 21 years of age.

hmm Im a little bit confused, it says "no person shall loan"..." to an individual under 21"........

Mssr. Eleganté
04-21-2010, 10:56 PM
No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual
under 21 years of age.

hmm Im a little bit confused, it says "no person shall loan"..." to an individual under 21"........

No it doesn't. You just cut out a section of the sentence to make it say that. :confused:

If the law said "no person shall eat ice cream, nor wear a hat" you wouldn't be forbidden from eating your hat or wearing ice cream.

luckystrike
04-21-2010, 11:59 PM
No it doesn't. You just cut out a section of the sentence to make it say that. :confused:

If the law said "no person shall eat ice cream, nor wear a hat" you wouldn't be forbidden from eating your hat or wearing ice cream.

right, thanks for the help!