PDA

View Full Version : Responsible reporter gets it right.

ZombieTactics
04-21-2010, 9:33 PM
I was at Just Guns today in Sacramento, and Karen Massie of News10 was interviewing the owner for this report. She also quotes me later in the article and video. What I think is most important about this is that - when looking for "experts" to research this report - she went to a gun store and talked to responsible gun owners ... instead of going to some anti-gunner group and repeating the same propagandistic drivel we hear so often.

There is an email link at the end of the article. It would be awesome if a bunch of us would email Karen and commend her on this fine bit of journalism.

LINK: http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79921&catid=2

gobler
04-21-2010, 9:46 PM
I read and watched the story. I emailed her with this comment.

Dear Mrs. Massie,

I watched your story about "Just Guns" and would like to commend you on a very solid and un-biased report. I truly wish more reporters could simply report facts with out bias. Again, good report.

Thank you,
name

Full Clip
04-21-2010, 9:52 PM
Well, it finally happened:
http://photo.net/general-comments/attachment/784945/HellFreezesOver.jpg

rromeo
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
"You have to take the clip out if it has one and inspect it to make sure there aren't any bullets in the chamber," Deaser said. :eek:

Hozr
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Good article by the reporter. Not good when the "Expert" uses barely coherent sentences or uses incorrect terminology.

People will come in and if their gun doesn't come with a California-approved lock, we'll sell them a lock and it will leave here with that lock on there

You have to take the clip out if it has one and inspect it to make sure there aren't any bullets in the chamber

JDoe
04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
"You have to take the clip out if it has one and inspect it to make sure there aren't any bullets in the chamber," Deaser said.

My guess is that Deaser used the language that most non-gun owners would be familiar with even though it is incorrect. Overall a good choice in selecting language most suited to the target audience--non gun owners.

BNuge
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Come on give the guy a break, not perfect but he came across just fine. A good story. Cristina Mendonsa, the anchor, also shoots.

quick draw mcgraw
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice to hear something other than the normal FUD from the media.

thebronze
04-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Come on give the guy a break, not perfect but he came across just fine. A good story. Cristina Mendonsa, the anchor, also shoots.

Her Dad's a retired CHP big-wig.

And she's smoking hot.

ZirconJohn
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Cool... Email sent.

RP1911
04-22-2010, 1:09 AM

Mendosa's dad is/was (probably retired now) an LEO with some distiction.

ETA: I see it was mentioned above. He worked as a member of TAG.

not-fishing
04-22-2010, 8:12 AM
Thanks for the post.

I too sent a little email to the writer.

Thank you for the article.

As a father of four with firearms in my house I know that the real problem is the lack of education.

California needs to utilize the Eddie Eagle Program to educate our children about firearms.

Stop!
Don't touch!
Tell an Adult!

Funny how we have sex education in school but a program that has been proven to save lives is not included in our schools & daycares.

thank you for your time,

I have to hope that maybe a little information will help us all. (excluding the Anti's)

yellowfin
04-22-2010, 9:01 AM
The reporter will now likely be demoted or at very least never advance.

Manic Moran
04-22-2010, 9:45 AM
For some reason, I think of this thread and the organisation's 'no comment' policy...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292236

Admittedly a different story, but the coincidences are strong.

NTM

Mad Scotsman
04-22-2010, 9:57 AM
Nice. Came across well even with the wrong terminology.

ltspongebob
04-22-2010, 2:16 PM
Nice. Came across well even with the wrong terminology.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the wrong terminology; what seems like correct terminology to us will seem like "gun nut" terminology to someone else. We need to use colloquialisms in common usage to hit home with the non-firearm layperson. "Magazine" and "Cartridge" don't come across as quickly to most people. "Clip" and "Bullet" are common in TV and Movies so that is what we need to use :)

I'm in the IT industry and the medical field before that. I am careful not to use specific terminology with people who are not familiar with either; I see the vacant stares or the exasperated "Oh, he's one of those guys..." looks enough that I don't do that anymore.

Glad the point came across at any rate. :cheers2:

D_fens
04-22-2010, 2:39 PM
If incorrect terminology is the biggest worry about the article, then I'd say we're doing pretty well.

GaryV
04-22-2010, 3:19 PM
If incorrect terminology is the biggest worry about the article, then I'd say we're doing pretty well.

I don't have a problem with the terminology, but it bugs me a little bit that the tone seems to be that everyone should keep their guns locked away, almost like DC required before Heller. I don't have children, I seldom if ever have people with children visit, I live in a neighborhood where I would say a medium level of crime occurs, including some violent crime, and I choose to carry while at home all the time, except when in bed or bathing, when the loaded gun is nearby. After all, even if my safe only takes "3 seconds to open", if an intruder in the middle of the night is between me and the safe, it might as well take an hour. I'd hate to see people start pointing to articles like this as an example of why there should be a law requiring that guns always be locked or locked away.

Full Clip
04-22-2010, 3:23 PM
And she's smoking hot.

You are correct, sir. Hmmmm:

http://www.prospermag.com/media.php/promo_gallery/566

Sorry for the thread jack...

FirstFlight
04-22-2010, 3:34 PM
I also sent Karen my thank you for a job well done email

Bray556
04-22-2010, 4:12 PM
Cool deal. We need more of this.

Hozr
04-22-2010, 4:38 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the wrong terminology; what seems like correct terminology to us will seem like "gun nut" terminology to someone else. We need to use colloquialisms in common usage to hit home with the non-firearm layperson. "Magazine" and "Cartridge" don't come across as quickly to most people. "Clip" and "Bullet" are common in TV and Movies so that is what we need to use :)

I respectfully disagree. Our "experst" need to act and speak as such. "dumbing it down" does nothing to get the actual point across. If people do not understand the proper terminology take the time to explain it to them.

A bullet is a component of a cartridge. Handguns use magazines to hold the cartridges. We purport to explain our passion to the masses through education then treat them like they are idiots. Hmm, just like public schools - teach down to the dumbest level instead of up to the highest.

/sarcasm on

Strive for Mediocrity!

/sarcasm off .

D_fens
04-22-2010, 4:46 PM
I don't have a problem with the terminology, but it bugs me a little bit that the tone seems to be that everyone should keep their guns locked away, almost like DC required before Heller. I don't have children, I seldom if ever have people with children visit, I live in a neighborhood where I would say a medium level of crime occurs, including some violent crime, and I choose to carry while at home all the time, except when in bed or bathing, when the loaded gun is nearby. After all, even if my safe only takes "3 seconds to open", if an intruder in the middle of the night is between me and the safe, it might as well take an hour. I'd hate to see people start pointing to articles like this as an example of why there should be a law requiring that guns always be locked or locked away.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-kZfLgIo2Nk/R4m_rn0C2II/AAAAAAAAABI/q5ALn7IDjp4/s400/Cookie%2BShower%2BGun.png
:43:

Well then. I don't really think she's suggesting Pre-Heller-esque laws; I interpreted it as "be more fastidious with your guns when you have kids in your house".

If you don't have un-gunsafe people running around, then obviously there's no real need to keep guns locked up (except perhaps if you're out of the house.) However, in context of this article, it seems she's saying a good idea that when there are irresponsible people around, secure your guns.

Now of course I don't agree with keeping guns locked at all times, as may be implied, but the general message is to keep your guns safe, which could mean CC'ing in your private property, or simply making sure people that aren't versed in gun safety don't access the gun.

jb7706
04-22-2010, 5:32 PM
For some reason, I think of this thread and the organisation's 'no comment' policy...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292236

Admittedly a different story, but the coincidences are strong.

NTM

If she keeps reporting fairly we may make an exception for her. Time will tell.

misterjake
04-22-2010, 6:04 PM
Could the media have taken a different route if the toddler was shot by a civilian's gun instead of a deputy?

Although both should be treated the same.

Manic Moran
04-22-2010, 8:55 PM
I don't have a problem with the terminology, but it bugs me a little bit that the tone seems to be that everyone should keep their guns locked away, almost like DC required before Heller.

Although that was my reflex reaction, it didn't take me long before I realised 'no, it's just an article which points out that there are things you can do if you have young kids to keep them out of trouble.' More a PSA than anything else.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to trust the Eddie the Eagle Program to the extent that I'm going to leave accessible, round-chambered firearms lying around the house when my daughter gets to about three or four in the hope that she will be well trained enough to leave them alone. They are either going to get locked away, or at the very least kept in a much-degraded readiness status regardless of if Heller says that the government can't mandate that I do so.

NTM

Stealth
04-22-2010, 9:40 PM
Great Story. I like how at the end they go over the safety tips. Public education and awarness.

The video had a funny moment. They caught a guy in the store looking at a shotgun. he was in camo. LOL. People say how the media always looks for the camo wearing firearm user to fit the sterotypes :/

jb7706
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Although that was my reflex reaction, it didn't take me long before I realised 'no, it's just an article which points out that there are things you can do if you have young kids to keep them out of trouble.' More a PSA than anything else.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to trust the Eddie the Eagle Program to the extent that I'm going to leave accessible, round-chambered firearms lying around the house when my daughter gets to about three or four in the hope that she will be well trained enough to leave them alone. They are either going to get locked away, or at the very least kept in a much-degraded readiness status regardless of if Heller says that the government can't mandate that I do so.

NTM

Agreed in most all respects. Education is well and good, however both my kids had to get burned before they listened repeated warnings of "hot do not touch." I'd not count on your little one getting to 3 before you need to find a way to keep your firearms out of reach. My 2 year old has been curious about guns for several months and is capable of pulling triggers already. My stuff is either in one of the safes or on my person at all times, no exceptions.