PDA

View Full Version : Rguns.com Mosin 9130 Sniper

Anchors
04-21-2010, 6:54 PM
I want one, but I've read a lot of forums on here and else where that they're running out and thus the quality is gradually decreasing as they're selling.
The price is still a fixed $800.
They no longer have Tulas or scopes with matching numbers according to forums and someone said they got a pretty bad bore on theirs recently.
My question is do you think it is still worth the money? I just want a decent bore and a clear scope.
Do you think I'd be better off looking on the private market or calguns?

To my knowledge RGUNS is the only place with original 9130 snipers?

Thanks
Ryan

mosinnagantm9130
04-21-2010, 9:10 PM
Rguns is the only place that has originals. It seems that Rguns does have tulas, because the last 4-5 that have been posted about on other mosin forums have all been 44 tula's.

They are worth the money in the long run.

Anchors
04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Well thank you for the replies.

Ahh now I think I have to get one haha I better start saving. I just needed some reassurance on it. If I got a Tula in with a decent bore/scope I would be infinitely content.
I don't think it's very likely that we'll be seeing anything like this at this price once RGUNS supply dries up, will we?

Anchors
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah I read all the posts on both of those forums just now about the RGUNS snipers and I'm pretty impressed.
I'm going to try for a '44 Tula with original stock as a lot of people have gotten those lately. Most people say they called and were denied and then specified in the comments during online purchase and lucked out. We'll see how it goes..

Anchors
04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Well I somehow just got my tax return and paycheck deposited to my account at the same time. So I just took the plunge.

I hope I get one of those nice '44 Tulas.

Anchors
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM
By the way, those WW2 Yugoslavian issue PU rifles from Samco are a great deal too. They are missing the scope and mount setups, but still have their original sniper stocks and sniper bolts and the holes in the receiver are still open and unmessed with....some even still have the 2 little locating pins (a $20-$25 value in itself) for the mount base still in their holes in the receiver. And since the original sniper stock and bolt are worth $125 to $150 for the bolt and $100 to $125 for the stock, at around $300 for the whole rifle it's
like buying the bolt and stock and getting the sniper rifle for free!

To rescope one of the Samco rifles, some folks go with a modern Ukrainian or Russian made replica PU scope and mount setup (these can be had in the $300 or under range) or an original WW2 Soviet scope in either an original WW2 mount setup or one of the post-war Soviet era mount setups that were made from the early 1950's up through the end of the Soviet Union. An original scope with Soviet WW2 or post-war mount will generally run in the $350 to $450 range but sometimes you can find one a little cheaper.

Some people look at it as a choice between an RGuns rifle or a Samco rifle, but really any serious collector needs one of each because they each have their own unique combat history. Most of the Yugo PU rifles are part of a shipment "Joe the Butcher" Stalin sent his Commie buddy "Joe the Butcher" Tito in early 1944. A few were supplied by the Soviets right after the war, and I believe that some of the 1943 and earlier rifles are actually German captured and issued rifles that the Yugoslavians then captured from the Germans and/or their Bosnian, Slovenian, Croatian, and Albanian allies, late in the war.

Interestingly, the best of the Samco Yugo PU rifles came out of original WW2 German made military "91/30 PU" sniper marked arsenal storage and shipping chests with Croatian or Slovenian documentation attached to them.

The Germans captured large numbers of Mosin snipers during the war and since they were always short of their own sniper rifles they re-issued these captured Soviet snipers to their own troops. Next to the scoped versions of the 98k, the Mosin 91/30 snipers were the most common German issued and used sniper rifle of the war. Many elite Army and Waffen SS units snipers (like Gebirgsjaeger or Panzer units) were partially or wholly armed with Mosin snipers, and many of the German military sniper schools used these rifles to train their snipers.

Sometime watch the old Clint Eastwood movie "Kelly's Heros"....that's a WW2 Yugo issue PU rifle the American sniper is using. And the premise of an American sniper using a Mosin PU sniper rifle fighting a Waffen SS Panzer unit in France is actually a plausable and believable one. Some of the most elite combat veteran SS units (armed with Mosin snipers, as mentioned above) from the Russian Front were in Normandy getting a little "R&R" while they were being equiped with new tanks and new people when we happened to drop in on them on D-Day. So it's quite likely that at least a few G.I.'s found themselves on the loud end of a Mosin rifle, and also probable that at least a few of these Mosin snipers ended up changing from German to American ownership at this same time.

Yeah I've been looking into it for a while. Thanks for the good info!
I'm excited to get my sniper.

mosinnagantm9130
04-23-2010, 3:25 PM
Congradulations!:D

Here's hoping you get what you are looking for.

Anchors
04-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Congradulations!:D

Here's hoping you get what you are looking for.

Thanks!
Ahh too much anticipation. Shipping time + 10 day waiting period. Not knowing what I got for $800. haha. I can't wait to get my C&R.

Anchors
05-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I saw mine today (it's in CA "jail" for ten days). '44 Tula. All matching #TN89. Decent bore, but my stock seemed much darker than your guys. And it seemed pretty chewed up. And the lens cover string was broken. Overall it's awesome, I just didn't think the stock would be as chewed up. You guys left it in original condition right?. I did only see it for five minutes in the shop though. Your guys just seem to have barely any blemishs. Hmm. Idk.

Also, what did everyone else's come with?
Because mine just had the case and the ammo pouch. No sling/bayonet/paperwork.
Someone had the crate paperwork that was in Russian or Ukranian with theirs, I was hoping mine would have that too as I have a friend who is Ukranian and could translate.

7.62x54R
05-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I have been wanting a Rguns PU for while. Have yet to take the plunge

Anchors
05-02-2010, 1:08 AM
As mentioned above, the last several RGuns snipers received by members of the top-rated Mosin collector's forums like Gunboards and 7.62X54r.net have been really outstanding and incredibly original '44 Tulas.

The RGuns rifles are right out of Ukrainian National Police inventory, and some have sitting unissued since they were refurbed many years ago and some were issued and in use up until a couple years ago, so their condition does vary. There have been a couple with cloudy scopes or crappy bores, but these are a very small minority and Rguns has been pretty good about making right on these.

By the way, the scope numbers on Mosin snipers aren't supposed to match the rifle's serial number. Izhevsk snipers have the original scopes (and often replacement scopes) serial numbers stamped on the left side of the barrel shank above the wood line. Sometimes this number was removed when the rifle was refurbed or the scope replaced. Many Mosin snipers will also have the scope's and/or rifle's serial number electropenciled on the mount - this practice seems to date from the early 1950's.

Tula rifles generally did not (with a very few exceptions) have the scope serial number stamped on the barrel shank like Izhevsk rifles when they were made, but this was sometimes done during WW2 or in early post-war refurb or scope replacement.

However, when Tula snipers were originally made, they did have the rifle's serial number stamped on the scope mount. The recent Tula snipers folks have received from RGuns still have their original matching serial numbered mounts, and many also apparantly their original WW2 scopes. It seems some of the RGuns snipers are in completely original, as made, WW2 condition and configuration except for touch-up to the shellac finish or a very light coat of refurb shellac over the original finish.

If you want a genuine WW2 Mosin PU sniper that is ready to shoot out of the box, it just doesn't get any better than the RGuns rifles.

My scope was a bit cloudy, but the gun shop employee said it should be fine after I clean up the rifle.
Since the scopes don't match, would it mess up the integrity or authenticity of the gun if I asked them to replace the scope? (Which I've heard they will do.)

tow4dough
05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
great info marcus!
i have always wondered about that kellys hero's mosin,,,
i picked up a fake from SOG, even if it doesn't have real historical value it sure is a fun rifle

Anchors
05-03-2010, 5:07 PM
Okay, I stopped by the shop after class to visit my Mosin in California ten day "jail" and snapped some quick shots.
It's not as bad as I thought it was the first time, the hand guard is the only chewed up part and the sling and bayonet were in fact under the packing foam.
The bolt is smooth, the scope is a bit cloudy, but it might just be grease (they didn't have anything to wipe it down with on hand)
Here are some shots, please note I don't have this rifle yet so it's still got some cleaning to be done.

Thoughts, input, opinions, information, comments are all welcome.

Anchors
05-03-2010, 5:09 PM
More

7.62x54R
05-03-2010, 5:52 PM
How is the bore?

Anchors
05-03-2010, 5:55 PM
How is the bore?

The bore is good!
Anyone know why the numbers on the scope are crossed?
I might ask them to swap the scope for me if it's cloudy after cleaning.

mosinnagantm9130
05-03-2010, 6:12 PM
looks pretty good to me. Congrats!

Anchors
05-03-2010, 6:16 PM
looks pretty good to me. Congrats!

Thank you sir. I am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't mind having a couple more though. Haha, but this one broke the bank enough for me.

Flyin Brian
05-03-2010, 8:56 PM
I'd be plenty happy to own that rifle. I like the 1944 stamp on the stock. What type of inserts are in the sling slots? I can't tell from the picture... are they the folded ones or the pressed ones? Interesting that it has an Izhevsk cocking piece.

From the looks of the handguard it seems like the damage is just from removing the barrel bands, probably when they removed the stock to stamp the billboard import marking on. I have heard of people using 190 proof denatured alcohol to slightly dissolve the shellac and spread it over the damaged areas but you might want to try it on a $99 Big 5 special first :P

WW2Buff
05-03-2010, 9:10 PM
Envious! :drool5:

Anchors
05-04-2010, 1:06 AM
I'd be plenty happy to own that rifle. I like the 1944 stamp on the stock. What type of inserts are in the sling slots? I can't tell from the picture... are they the folded ones or the pressed ones? Interesting that it has an Izhevsk cocking piece.

From the looks of the handguard it seems like the damage is just from removing the barrel bands, probably when they removed the stock to stamp the billboard import marking on. I have heard of people using 190 proof denatured alcohol to slightly dissolve the shellac and spread it over the damaged areas but you might want to try it on a $99 Big 5 special first :P

I believe they are pressed.
Where is the mark on the cocking piece for Izhevsk?
That's kind of odd that the bolt matches, but the cocking piece would be from Izhevsk.

Nah I won't touch the finish at all, I wouldn't even on a $99 Big 5 special! (going on right now, by the way. Saw a really, really clean 38 Tula there.)
Man I just want to take this thing home already haha.

Flyin Brian
05-04-2010, 8:26 AM
In the photo of the scope serial number you can see the cocking piece in the background, and there is a small triangle with an arrow, which would be a "post 1928" Izhevsk stamp, unless I am seeing it incorrectly. It's photo # 638.

I agree with not messing with the finish, I never have on any of my mosins. I do have an M38 that has some scratches on the stock and I have often considered trying to smooth out the slopped on shellac job but since you can never undo it, I just leave it alone. Anyhow, looks like you totally scored and I am sure you will enjoy it. Can't wait to hear how it shoots!!

Anchors
05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
In the photo of the scope serial number you can see the cocking piece in the background, and there is a small triangle with an arrow, which would be a "post 1928" Izhevsk stamp, unless I am seeing it incorrectly. It's photo # 638.

I agree with not messing with the finish, I never have on any of my mosins. I do have an M38 that has some scratches on the stock and I have often considered trying to smooth out the slopped on shellac job but since you can never undo it, I just leave it alone. Anyhow, looks like you totally scored and I am sure you will enjoy it. Can't wait to hear how it shoots!!

Ah I see it now. I will have to inspect closer when I pick it up. That begs a few questions if it is the Izhevsk stamp (which I agree that it appears to be.)

Yeah I really want to get a cheap mosin to go along with it now, especially so I can take that one apart and clean it first just so I get a feel for it.

mosinnagantm9130
05-04-2010, 4:08 PM
It wouldn't be uncommon for it to have an Izhevsk cocking piece. The part was probably just recycled off of an older scrapped rifle. Or, if your PU is a refurb, it could have been put on then to replace a worn part.

Is the floorplate stamped?

Anchors
05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
It wouldn't be uncommon for it to have an Izhevsk cocking piece. The part was probably just recycled off of an older scrapped rifle. Or, if your PU is a refurb, it could have been put on then to replace a worn part.

Is the floorplate stamped?

Yes you can see it in the pictures, it has a matching serial stamped into it.

Anchors
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Hmm I can't tell if it has the sniper marks now that I look at it.

cruddymutt
05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I also did not see any CN marks on the barrel. Figured it was just the way the pic was taken.

reidnez
05-05-2010, 6:09 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on this site. I've been looking for a Mosin sniper for a while, most of the ones I see are in the $1200 range and for all I know, many of those are fakes.

BTW, for those looking, it's "rguns.net"

Anchors
05-12-2010, 2:47 PM
I see now that they are just very lightly stamped. Half of the H and the bottom of the C is there.