PDA

View Full Version : converting from .36 cal to .38 special

Texas Boy
04-21-2010, 7:28 PM
I've seen a lot of good reviews by people who converted from .44 ball to .45LC, but very little on going from .36 ball to .38 spl. Does the .38 spl bullet work well in the .36 barrel? Is there any loss of accuracy?

I would like a pair of 1858's in .38 spl for cowboy action and was debating the merits of ordering the black powder versions (in .36) and converting them with a Kirst kit or simply ordering the gun chambered in .38 spl from Cimarron.

Doing the conversion myself would be fun, I would still have the black powder cylinder if I wanted, and I could get a pair right away - shipped to my door. On the other hand, if the barrel isn't a good match and I'm going to keyhole bullets, then it is well worth it to wait 10 days, and then another 30 for the next (plus another 10, arggghhh).

Anyone have experience w/ .38 spl in the .36 guns?

ojisan
04-21-2010, 7:43 PM
.38 Special bullets are actually .357-.358" in diameter.
The .36 cal bullets start at .375", we know they get squeezed down in the chamber mouths a bit.
You might want to measure your barrel and see what size it really is, as BP repro guns vary considerably...with many modern ones having tighter bores.
If your barrel is so big the ".38 bullets" rattle their way down to the muzzle, accuracy will be zero.
This might affect your decision on what to do.

Here's a good article on this whole topic:
http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/bulletnpress/past/facts.htm

Tenamaxtle
04-24-2010, 6:57 AM
Thread jack here. Can my .44 magnum shoot .44 Russian?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-24-2010, 1:49 PM
Thread jack here. Can my .44 magnum shoot .44 Russian?

Yes it can. :threadjacked: Now put down the question slowly and step out of the thread with your hands up.