PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

todd2968
04-21-2010, 5:38 PM
I know I could go through countless archives of past discussions, and read DOJCA sight, but DOJ says what you can't do not what you can do.

1. If I were to use a high cap magazine at the range what would be the problem if any. Clearly I have read it is illegal to sell, buy, and import high cap mags, but not to possess them.
2. If I were to buy a kit and assemble a high cap mag that would be illegal correct? unless I was repairing a preban. right?
3. If I were at a range and LE asked me where I got them. What would be a illegal response and a legal one.

Thank you for your time and patience. I'm sure this is a commonly asked question and the long time members are sick of answering them yet again.

OleCuss
04-21-2010, 5:50 PM
1. If you are in legal possession of a high cap magazine you should be able to use it at a range without any problem.
2. Yes, it would be illegal to assemble the parts into a high-cap magazine. But as you suggested, you may use a parts kit to repair an old magazine. And since you can repair as many times as you like you can eventually replace all parts and have a new magazine from your old one.
3. It might depend on the question, but mostly you needn't tell them much of anything. If you don't tell them you broke the law they probably can't prosecute you for it. But me, I'd probably inform them that I possess them legally and may use them legally. If asked how I got them I'd likely tell them it was a long time ago and I don't even remember from whom I got them but I did so legally.

kf6tac
04-21-2010, 5:55 PM
1. If you are in legal possession of a high cap magazine you should be able to use it at a range without any problem.

An addendum to that: if they're being used in semi-auto centerfire rifles, make sure it's a featureless rifle with a detachable; high-caps in mag-locked rifles are a no-go.

OleCuss
04-21-2010, 6:56 PM
An addendum to that: if they're being used in semi-auto centerfire rifles, make sure it's a featureless rifle with a detachable; high-caps in mag-locked rifles are a no-go.

I hope that is not a totally inclusive statement. I've got a fully registered AR-15 purchased with a pistol grip and detachable magazine. I'm pretty sure I can use my high-cap mags in it.

I'll admit, though, that I only use my ten-rounders even though I've got a bunch of high-cap magazines I got even before I bought the AR-15.

77bawls
04-21-2010, 7:17 PM
I hope that is not a totally inclusive statement. I've got a fully registered AR-15 purchased with a pistol grip and detachable magazine. I'm pretty sure I can use my high-cap mags in it.

I'll admit, though, that I only use my ten-rounders even though I've got a bunch of high-cap magazines I got even before I bought the AR-15.

I assume it's registered as an assault weapon.

OleCuss
04-21-2010, 7:24 PM
I assume it's registered as an assault weapon.

Yup. I should really check to see what evil features I can add - haven't been all that interested up until now.

Librarian
04-21-2010, 7:34 PM
Yup. I should really check to see what evil features I can add - haven't been all that interested up until now.

Any.

Once it's registered, your pocketbook is the only limit.

Do remember you can't import new large-capacity magazines, but you can use any you owned before 2000.

OleCuss
04-21-2010, 7:40 PM
Any.

Once it's registered, your pocketbook is the only limit.

Do remember you can't import new large-capacity magazines, but you can use any you owned before 2000.

Thank you! That's what I thought but I'd really not researched it well enough to be sure.

I've got more than a dozen of the old magazines so I really don't need more - but I do need to do some repairs on a bunch of them. I bought them cheap a long time ago (well prior to 2000) - and they were cheap because they had been well-used. . .