PDA

View Full Version : Question about AB1934 and open carry for reenactments

RANGER295
04-21-2010, 5:57 PM
I am in an old west reenactment group. We do shows in various public places including Old Sacramento where we are paid by the historical district. We use both black powder cap and ball and cartridge revolvers as well as various long guns. We usually carry them in various period holsters. I was talking to another member today, and we got to wondering how AB 1934 would affect us. I have not read the entire bill yet, but was wondering if any one could shed some light on this for me. I am hoping to get a chance to read it this weekend for myself. Thanks for any thoughts or input.

BKinzey
04-21-2010, 6:33 PM
Since you'd be doing this for entertainment purposes you should fall under the exemptions for them. Sorry I can't point to the exact clauses but they are there.

If it's black powder then it's not a "firearm" anyway correct:confused:

RANGER295
04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Since you'd be doing this for entertainment purposes you should fall under the exemptions for them. Sorry I can't point to the exact clauses but they are there.

If it's black powder then it's not a "firearm" anyway correct:confused:

I took the time to read it tonight and any allowances for entertainment purposes are somewhat grey.

Also, black powder weapons are in a sort of grey zone in terms of being considered firearms. I do know that if they are loaded and primed, that they can be considered a loaded weapon per CA law. Also, some of the group uses modern cartridge revolvers (such as a Vaquero) with black powder blanks.

I did see some language that might exempt our group.
12026.2. (a) Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of
the following: ...

…(20) The transportation by a member of an organization of a
firearm directly to, or directly from, official parade duty or
ceremonial occasions of that organization, if the organization is
chartered by the Congress of the United States, or is a nonprofit
mutual or public benefit corporation organized and recognized as a
nonprofit tax-exempt organization by the Internal Revenue Service….

… (15) The open carrying of an unloaded handgun by an authorized
participant in, or an authorized employee or agent of a supplier of
firearms for, a motion picture, television, or video production or
entertainment event when the participant lawfully uses the handgun as
part of that production or event or while the participant or
authorized employee or agent is at that production or event….

Our group is a 501c3 tax exempt non profit organization so that may take care of it. Then there is also the entertainment clause. Thoughts people?

RANGER295
04-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I do know that one of the first things to go was the re-enactments at Old Town State Park in San Diego as well as in other State Parks where re-enactments were traditionally held with cannon, blackpowder muskets, and pistols.

I didn't know until last year when I asked a ranger for the schedule on a battle re-enactment. He just laughed and said, "We don't do those anymore". His only explanation, "State Law".

That is sad… I am hoping that doesn’t happen to us.

BKinzey
04-21-2010, 11:06 PM
… (15) The open carrying of an unloaded handgun by an authorized
participant in, or an authorized employee or agent of a supplier of
firearms for, a motion picture, television, or video production or
entertainment event when the participant lawfully uses the handgun as
part of that production or event or while the participant or
authorized employee or agent is at that production or event

Even though this section clearly states "unloaded" you should be able to find a section worded like this covering the discharge of firearms as well. The exceptions that cover the TV and film business cover you also. You can also request the event organizers have a clause covering you in the permits they file in order to hold the entire event.