PDA

View Full Version : Q: MMG-style grip mfg from AK Romanian Buttstock -> trigger 922r (US or foreign mfg)?

gunn
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM
All:
Since noone seems to have an AK MMG-type grip they want to sell me, I decided last night to play around with making my own MMG-type grip. The source material is a Romanian buttstock.

On the drive to work, it occured to me to ask about 922r...

Q: If I go this route, will the end product be consider foreign or US made?

I know that if I just refinish a romanian buttstock, I cannot knowingly claim that the buttstock is now "US made". It's still a buttstock and is still foreign made.

However, in this case, I'm doing some serious hacking into a buttstock to make this paddle style grip. Basically, I'm turning the buttstock into scrap wood since it will no longer be usable as a buttstock and then turning that scrap wood into a paddle-style grip.

If you think the resultant grip is still "foreign made", wouldn't I be in the same situation if the scrap wood I started from was originally from Canada (where they have lots of trees & stuff)? I've never paid attention to the source of my wood @ Home Depot but this remains a possibility so I want to see how my scenario is any different.

For reference, the end product will be readily identifiable as coming from a Romanian stock because it will have the same laminate pattern as the romanian buttstock/handguard wood already on the AK

What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this issue?

Alternatives: I don't like the angle of the solar tactical fins and noone has offered to sell/trade me an AK MMG :)

Regards,
-g

gunn
04-22-2010, 7:57 AM
Any thoughts?

69Mach1
04-22-2010, 8:03 AM
I would consider that to still be a foreign made part, however, I'm not the BATF.

loather
04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, *you* made it in your garage or workshop or whatever, right?

It may have used foreign wood, but but the manufacture of the part was performed in the US, from foreign materials. That's no different than the Chinese steel that was used to bend your flat, etc.

Consider the following: what if you wanted to replace the entire furniture set with, say, Cocobolo wood or something that doesn't grow in the United States? You import the raw materials, and then fashion the furniture from them. While the raw materials came from somewhere else, the manufacture was done here.

Replace Cocobolo with "genuine Romanian wood like found on an AK-47" -- see what I mean? You're simply using raw materials at that point. The fact that it used to be a stock is inconsequential because it can no longer be attached as a stock.

If you were simply modifying the existing stock, however, you *might* run into 922(r) problems.

rarf
04-25-2010, 4:18 PM
I believe if the function changes as a result of the work done in the US, it's considered US-made as far as 922r is concerned. So refinishing a stock wouldn't work but converting it from a stock to a pistol pistol would.

CSACANNONEER
04-25-2010, 4:22 PM
If you are making a MM style grip, I don't think it matters where it is made. I really don't think it would qualify as a PG so, it is a moot point.

rarf
04-25-2010, 4:27 PM
It might not be considered a pistol grip under CA law but 922r is federal law and I don't think it's as limited in the definition of pistol grip.

CSACANNONEER
04-25-2010, 4:50 PM
It might not be considered a pistol grip under CA law but 922r is federal law and I don't think it's as limited in the definition of pistol grip.

Correct. I'll agree that it is a grip but, one would be hard pressed to call it a PG. In any event, I'd consider it as US made as anything else made in the US from imported raw materials.

rarf
04-25-2010, 5:11 PM
That's an interesting point if it would then be considered part of the pistol grip stock and since that wouldn't be a change in function, it would make it a foreign part.

Ford8N
04-25-2010, 5:17 PM
Mr. BATFE monitor, would you please answer the OP question.

:hide:

gunn
05-04-2010, 9:22 AM
Since the BATFE FTB will not answer calls from private citizens, I went ahead and mailed them a written letter. I'll see what they say in ~60 days and will post when i get an update from them.
-g