PDA

View Full Version : Got a XDM, Can I borrow a Hicap mag to shoot in Ca?

Treb5
04-20-2010, 8:00 PM
I also got the disassembled mag kits which I have bagged and tagged for out of state use only. I have decided not to block them.

Is there a way I could shoot my XDM here in Ca. I am wondering if I would be keeping within the law if I borrowed a mag at the range from a legal owner either LEO or the FFL who owns the range? I am not certain on the borrowing/loaning of a Hicap mag.

Found this info in a search here on Calguns but not sure I understand it completely. I appreciate your comments.

(22) The loan of a lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine
between two individuals if all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person being loaned the large-capacity magazine is not
prohibited by Section 12021, 12021.1, or 12101 of this code or
Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code from
possessing firearms or ammunition.
(B) The loan of the large-capacity magazine occurs at a place or
location where the possession of the large-capacity magazine is not
otherwise prohibited and the person who lends the large-capacity
magazine remains in the accessible vicinity of the person to whom the
large-capacity magazine is loaned.

Ron-Solo
04-20-2010, 9:10 PM
The person loaning the magazine must be in the "Accessible Vicinity" which can mean in your immediate presence.

kozumasbullitt
04-20-2010, 9:59 PM
How did you get a xdm? Ppt? I want one bad but don't want to pay the crazy mark up guys here are charging.

Scratch705
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
How did you get a xdm? Ppt? I want one bad but don't want to pay the crazy mark up guys here are charging.

got a parent/child out of state? inter familial transfer

kozumasbullitt
04-20-2010, 11:19 PM
got a parent/child out of state? inter familial transfer

No but my dad is a retired LEO.

ke6guj
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Is there a way I could shoot my XDM here in Ca. I am wondering if I would be keeping within the law if I borrowed a mag at the range from a legal owner either LEO or the FFL who owns the range? I am not certain on the borrowing/loaning of a Hicap mag.

yes you could. There is no legal prohibition from using a large-capacity magaine in a semi-automatic featureless detachable-mag'ed handgun.

Just make sure you comply with the loan requirements.

No but my dad is a retired LEO.retired LEO is not roster exempt.

Treb5
04-21-2010, 5:02 AM

Yes, I got it in a PPT. I have seen several posted here on Calguns in the last month or so. My intent is to use this pistol in Nevada and Idaho where my son's live. However I would like to put a few downrange here just to try it out.

loather
04-21-2010, 7:35 AM
Generally the answer is no, you cannot borrow a high-cap magazine unless the owner of the magazine is right there with you. If he gives it to you at your house, and then you go to the range alone, you're breaking the law.

If you want to put a few downrange in CA, it's best to simply get a 10-rounder and leave it at that.

With any luck CGF will nail the magazine capacity restrictions in court and shortly this will be a non-issue -- we'll see what happens.

GrizzlyGuy
04-21-2010, 7:56 AM
Shameless plug for the FAQ since DedEye is apparently MIA:

Lending large-capacity magazines (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Faq#Lending_large-capacity_magazines)

railroader
04-21-2010, 8:05 AM
What exactly is the difference between a standard xd9 mag and a xdm9 mag? Is the xdm mag just longer? If so you could try using a beretta mag and just cut the notch in the front of the mag. It's pretty easy. The beretta mag is long in a xd so it might work. Mark

1911su16b870
04-21-2010, 9:45 AM
XD and XDm magazines are different dimensions and therefore not interchangeable.

Treb5
04-21-2010, 9:55 AM
Generally the answer is no, you cannot borrow a high-cap magazine unless the owner of the magazine is right there with you. If he gives it to you at your house, and then you go to the range alone, you're breaking the law.

If you want to put a few downrange in CA, it's best to simply get a 10-rounder and leave it at that.
With any luck CGF will nail the magazine capacity restrictions in court and shortly this will be a non-issue -- we'll see what happens.

I have read that there are no factory made ten round mags for the XDM (9mm). If there is please let me know where I can purchase one. Does anyone know of any place that sells a blocked at ten, standard factory mag?

Thanks

bwiese
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I have read that there are no factory made ten round mags for the XDM (9mm). If there is please let me know where I can purchase one. Does anyone know of any place that sells a blocked at ten, standard factory mag?

I don't know.

You might be able to find a vendor that is willing to ship separated mag parts to you so you can first block the tube to 10 with, say, a Delrin block + epoxy, and then reassemble the mag.

Remember that the block should be 'permanent' and hicap functionality should not readily be recoverable without major parts replacement, etc.
We don't know what permanent is, but you prob have to really work at recovering mag functionality and/or replace several key parts.

Davidoff
04-21-2010, 1:06 PM
This got me thinking of another hypothetical:

John Doe has several rebuild kits.
John and his buddy Officer John Smith go to the range together.
Mr. Doe "sells" his rebuild kits to Officer Smith for $0.25.
Officer Smith manufactures high capacity magazines by assembling the rebuild kits.
Officer Smith lends the high capacity magazines to Mr. Doe.
Mr. Doe uses the high capacity magazines in the presence of Officer Smith.
Officer Smith breaks down the mags into rebuild kits.
Officer Smith sells the rebuild kits back to Mr. Doe.

Were any laws broken? I can't seem to find anything wrong with this scenario. Now I just need a LEO buddy...

Decoligny
04-21-2010, 1:48 PM
Yes, I got it in a PPT. I have seen several posted here on Calguns in the last month or so. My intent is to use this pistol in Nevada and Idaho where my son's live. However I would like to put a few downrange here just to try it out.

I suggest you get at least one magazine for "In CA use only". Simply epoxy a block into the magazine making it a 10 round only mag.