PDA

View Full Version : Town Hall Sacramento County Sheriff Candidates

Mstrty
04-20-2010, 8:34 PM
come and visit with the Sacramento County Sheriff candidates. The Race is heating up and with Cooper and Jones duking it out it could lead to a 3rd to first place pass. Come and hear them talk and make up your mind in this Q&A session

The three candidates vying to become the next Sacramento County Sheriff will meet on May 12 in a forum sponsored by the League of Women Voters.

Jim Cooper, Bret Daniels and Scott Jones are all vying for the position being vacated by John McGinness.

The forum will be held at the La Sierra Community Center, 5325 Engle Road, Carmichael from 7:00 to 8:30 PM.

Here (http://www.elkgrovepost.net/2010/04/sacramento-county-sheriff-candidates-to.html)

Sitting in the lobby at the CH police station today I saw this announcement in the Carmichael Times paper. I spent a good 30min. tonight at home trying to find the dates and times. So if your interested here you go.

SixPointEight
04-20-2010, 8:40 PM
here (http://http://www.elkgrovepost.net/2010/04/sacramento-county-sheriff-candidates-to.html)

Sitting in the lobby at the CH police station today I saw this announcement in the Carmichael Times paper. I spent a good 30min. tonight at home trying to find the dates and times. So if your interested here you go.

Around the corner from my house!

Mstrty
04-20-2010, 8:44 PM
I getting my 2a questions ready. Just watch for who squirms.

SixPointEight
04-20-2010, 9:17 PM
May 12th is a Wednesday, I should be free. We should get a CalGuns entourage to show up

Mstrty
04-21-2010, 7:46 PM
sound off If your going to be there

Bret Daniels
04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Hope to see as many of my fellow pro-CCW friends there as possible. This is going to be a tough fight and a close race and this is a great opportunity to elect a real pro-2nd Amendment rights Sheriff. We will also be on the Eric Hogue Show AM 1380 from 12pm-1pm on Friday, April 30th.

SixPointEight
04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Hope to see as many of my fellow pro-CCW friends there as possible. This is going to be a tough fight and a close race and this is a great opportunity to elect a real pro-2nd Amendment rights Sheriff. We will also be on the Eric Hogue Show AM 1380 from 12pm-1pm on Friday, April 30th.

Woah, nice to see you one here. I'll try and show up if I can make it. Lets get us some shall-issue action :o

Bret Daniels
04-23-2010, 9:22 AM
Please take a minute to join my Facebook Fan Page at Bret Daniels for Sacramento Sheriff. Watch the short video on CCW's. It was one of the very first candidate forums and makes clear what each of us feels about the issue. Since then, my opponents have been doing the political flip-flopping and tap dancing but I think most of you on this forum are too smart to fall for it.

SixPointEight
04-23-2010, 9:26 AM
I went ahead and shot you a friend request on FB. I'll let my pro-gun, non-CalGuns friends know about you too. Off to check out the FB.

Edit: I do have a question that is more applicable here, than at the forum. What can a pro-CCW sheriff get us? Does that essentially give us shall-issue in Sac? Or are there political hurdles to jump in order for the sheriff to be able to issue permits?

spegull03
04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I am going to try and make it

Kelvrick
04-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I'll try to make it

Bret Daniels
04-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I went ahead and shot you a friend request on FB. I'll let my pro-gun, non-CalGuns friends know about you too. Off to check out the FB.

Edit: I do have a question that is more applicable here, than at the forum. What can a pro-CCW sheriff get us? Does that essentially give us shall-issue in Sac? Or are there political hurdles to jump in order for the sheriff to be able to issue permits?

JT, I believe that the law would allow me as Sheriff to issue with Shall Issue philosophies as the guiding factor. The law allows the issuing authority to determine what constitutes "Good Cause" and if living in Sac Co with its current spiking crime rate, the fact that hundreds of deputies have been laid off, that hundreds of criminals have been let out of jail, etc isn't "Good Cause" then I don't know what is. There are no "political hurdles", just obstacles that produce opportunities.

SixPointEight
04-24-2010, 12:01 AM
JT, I believe that the law would allow me as Sheriff to issue with Shall Issue philosophies as the guiding factor. The law allows the issuing authority to determine what constitutes "Good Cause" and if living in Sac Co with its current spiking crime rate, the fact that hundreds of deputies have been laid off, that hundreds of criminals have been let out of jail, etc isn't "Good Cause" then I don't know what is. There are no "political hurdles", just obstacles that produce opportunities.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I never have understood how not feeling safe due to the crime-rate of an area is not good cause. Or how, with less deputies, and a rising response time, one is not allowed to defend themselves.

I've penciled the Forum into my Calendar, I'll try to come by and talk to you in person.

rshem1
04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I'll try to make it

Mstrty
04-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Those that cant make it Post your questions for each candidate so they can be heard.

Hogxtz
04-27-2010, 1:01 AM
Not even a full page worth since this thread started on the 20th? WTF?? We had 400 + people at our ccw sheriff canidate night in El Dorado county. C'mon people, get with it, if you live in Sac go to this meeting or never ***** about ccw ever again.

SixPointEight
04-27-2010, 1:04 AM
Not even a full page worth since this thread started on the 20th? WTF?? We had 400 + people at our ccw sheriff canidate night in El Dorado county. C'mon people, get with it, if you live in Sac go to this meeting or never ***** about ccw ever again.

Pitiful isn't it?

Jeremy K.
04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I hope to be there.

My wife works for the department and has some reservations about Mr. Daniels. Hopefully by attending this meeting and hearing what Mr. Daniels has to say we can get her on board. ;)

REH
04-27-2010, 2:50 PM
Im in

Bret Daniels
04-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I hope to be there.

My wife works for the department and has some reservations about Mr. Daniels. Hopefully by attending this meeting and hearing what Mr. Daniels has to say we can get her on board. ;)

Jeremy, please feel free to contact me by e-mail at Bret@BretDanielsForSheriff.com or call me at (916)870-7199 if you would like me to address any of the wife's concerns privately.

Hogxtz
04-28-2010, 6:36 AM
UnFu@$%ing beleivable! I guess there are not many pro gun folks that would like to excersice their right with a concealed weapon in Sacramento after all.

benbangui
04-28-2010, 6:59 AM
i just moved to sacramento from HI. how long do you need to be a resedent of sacramento to vote for sheriff? im voting! so the 12th is just a debate? i cant make it because i work. but thats not the voting day right?

i think you should retitle this thread with something like "make CCW in sacramento happen!!!" and post it in every topic of discussion so it gets total support of all calgunners. im sure the admins can make that happen yea? :) i mean this could define weather or not we get CCWs here in CA!!!! everyone needs to jump on this!

Ding126
04-28-2010, 8:11 AM
Wish I lived in Sac...

Where is all the Sac support??

robnbritt
04-28-2010, 8:31 AM
Just read this. Will be there !!!

thefinger
04-28-2010, 8:42 AM
i was linked here from the "make ccw in sacramento happen" thread. I think its a problem with the title of this thread that is causig the low view/post count. just my .02

arfan66
04-28-2010, 9:49 AM
Link is dead...

Zomgie
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't live within driving distance of Sac but will BTT for support! Good luck!

spegull03
04-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I live in folsom and had no idea there was a candidate forum here last week with all three candidates attending. We need to know about these things!

spegull03
04-28-2010, 11:09 AM
http://folsomtelegraph.com/detail/148381.html

fish4lmb
04-28-2010, 1:27 PM
pencilling it in........

joeyriv
04-28-2010, 2:04 PM
Brring any finals that day, I'll definitely be there with my questions

benbangui
04-28-2010, 3:25 PM
so how where and when do we vote? or is it not a vote...????

DENCO
04-28-2010, 6:34 PM
I live in folsom and had no idea there was a candidate forum here last week with all three candidates attending. We need to know about these things!

I did not know this as well. I am all about supporting this. It's a crime to not be allowed to arm yourself... I will be there with as many poeple I know that can.

Also as mentioned the Title is not direct enough. What needs to be done is to get a sticky ( I guess they have those here at CG) or change the title to something that will draw more attention to this link and the issue. If I can help I will..

Thats awesome Bret is on here. Welcome, Denco

Mstrty
04-28-2010, 6:57 PM
Also as mentioned the Title is not direct enough. What needs to be done is to get a sticky ( I guess they have those here at CG) or change the title to something that will draw more attention to this link and the issue. If I can help I will..

Edited thread title. I hope this helps folks find the news.

ShootinMedic
04-28-2010, 7:00 PM
[QUOTE=bombmaster;4158968]here (http://http://www.elkgrovepost.net/2010/04/sacramento-county-sheriff-candidates-to.html)

I can't seem to open the link. Is it still available for anyone else out there? I would like to attend if I can but I need more info. Thanks!

Mstrty
04-28-2010, 7:29 PM
[QUOTE=bombmaster;4158968]here (http://http://www.elkgrovepost.net/2010/04/sacramento-county-sheriff-candidates-to.html)

I can't seem to open the link. Is it still available for anyone else out there? I would like to attend if I can but I need more info. Thanks!

Fixed the link

Here it is again (http://www.elkgrovepost.net/2010/04/sacramento-county-sheriff-candidates-to.html)

tiko
04-28-2010, 7:32 PM
Thank you for the thread, I'm in.

ShootinMedic
04-28-2010, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the new link! I'll try my best to make it.

hammerhands32
04-28-2010, 8:59 PM
I'll be there with my four brothers, and maybe my sister to

Bizcuits
04-29-2010, 3:36 PM
Just once, JUST ONCE... I'd love to see a political rally or meet and greet schedule on a Saturday or Friday, so those of us who work nights could actually attend.

Arteel
04-29-2010, 3:55 PM
This is great news! I'll do my best to make it before work.

cactus
04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Im off as well and will be there family schedule permitting. Also I will be forwarding the information.

DENCO
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Edited thread title. I hope this helps folks find the news.

Nice, it looks to be getting more support already. Lets do our best to keep this thread TTT with more attendees. I am looking forward to it. Denco

Mstrty
04-30-2010, 4:01 PM
Folks keep chimming in. Im trying to get an idea of how many will attend. Those that cant attend but have a question to ask let me know. It doesnt have to be a CCW question either. There is a lot of issues facing Sacramento's Sheriffs office. Post your questions. We will attempt to ask.

dud_dude71
04-30-2010, 5:16 PM
I'll be there for support although I can't vote I am working on getting my citizenship so I can

NorCalMama
04-30-2010, 5:19 PM
I'll definitely come! Very exciting. :)

Bret Daniels
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey folks, lots of good things happening with the campaign. We were on the Eric Hogue Show/KTKZ 1380 today and we will have a televised debate tomorrow (Saturday) starting at 1pm on the Gov't channel (Channel 14).

You must register to vote by I think it's May 24th to vote in the June 8th election.

Get to the May 12th forum a few minutes early as we will try to put together a "Pro Bret Daniels Pro CCW" section.

Spread the word. This will be a close election and every vote will count big time.

JeepFreak
05-01-2010, 7:55 PM
Hey folks, lots of good things happening with the campaign. We were on the Eric Hogue Show/KTKZ 1380 today and we will have a televised debate tomorrow (Saturday) starting at 1pm on the Gov't channel (Channel 14).

You must register to vote by I think it's May 24th to vote in the June 8th election.

Get to the May 12th forum a few minutes early as we will try to put together a "Pro Bret Daniels Pro CCW" section.

Spread the word. This will be a close election and every vote will count big time.

Here are the audio clips on Hogue's website. DEFINITELY worth the listen.
http://hoguenews.com/?p=9976
Billy

JeepFreak
05-01-2010, 7:57 PM
I hope to be there.

My wife is SSD too and has the same reservations. SCUSD supported Jim Cooper was the first candidate I eliminated though, so I'm keeping my mind open.

I'll definitely be there on the 12th.

Billy

Mstrty
05-01-2010, 10:28 PM
FYI: Bret Daniels will be having a precinct walk. Saturday, May 15, 2010
Time: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Street: Southeast corner of Antelope Rd/Auburn Blvd
City: Citrus Heights, CA
Hope to see Calgunners that want a New Sheriff and not just another politician acting as a sheriff.

JeepFreak
05-03-2010, 7:06 PM
FYI: Bret Daniels will be having a precinct walk. Saturday, May 15, 2010
Time: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Street: Southeast corner of Antelope Rd/Auburn Blvd
City: Citrus Heights, CA
Hope to see Calgunners that want a New Sheriff and not just another politician acting as a sheriff.

Probably a noob question... but what's a precinct walk???
Thanks,
Billy

haveyourmile
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
My dad works for the county too and is vehemently against Daniels. That says something considering my father is very pro 2a and very pro CCW.

With that being said, Cooper is a chauvinist pig, so I guess I only have one option left?

spegull03
05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Why is your dad vehimently against Daniels?

SixPointEight
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
You didn't give any reasons why you didn't like him, except that your dad doesn't?

I'm still looking good to go on the 12th.

Ed_in_Sac
05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks, for starting this thread and posting the 5/12 info....did I say thanks?

haveyourmile
05-05-2010, 2:00 PM
You didn't give any reasons why you didn't like him, except that your dad doesn't?

I'm still looking good to go on the 12th.

Well I don't know a whole lot about him other than I've heard him speak and he is a bumbling idiot and at times completely incoherent. I mean truly bad. And that is hard for me to say because I REALLY want CCW here in Sacramento and I REALLY want to WANT to vote for Daniels. I just don't think I could after hearing him talk.

My dad doesn't like him because he thinks he's a moron. He's worked with him on a professional level (I don't really wanna say how cause I don't wanna out my dad on a public forum) but he doesn't have good things to say about him...at all.

spegull03
05-05-2010, 3:30 PM
There are two different links in this thread with video and audio, and it seems to show the opposite of what you are saying

Monkeybits
05-07-2010, 9:39 AM
Please take a minute to join my Facebook Fan Page at Bret Daniels for Sacramento Sheriff. Watch the short video on CCW's. It was one of the very first candidate forums and makes clear what each of us feels about the issue. Since then, my opponents have been doing the political flip-flopping and tap dancing but I think most of you on this forum are too smart to fall for it.

I could have saved myself the trouble of an e-mail had I checked forums earlier. I reached out to all three candidates, and only Mr. Daniels has replied with a strong, pro-CCW position. The others haven't replied at all. I don't have permission to post it yet, but it looks like he's speaking for himself.

Here was my e-mail:

Dear Mr. Daniels,

I'm very happy to see men dedicated to public safety running for the office of Sacramento County Sheriff.

As a target-shooting hobbyist who's realized the real importance of self-defense, I'll be voting on the issue of a shall-issue CCW policy.

I trust my life, and the lives of my family to the fine men and women in uniform of Sacramento County every day. I'm wondering when we'll have a Sheriff who trusts me as much.

The current sheriff and his predecessor are fine men whose CCW policies amount to shall not issue. If you apply and are declined, from then on you must disclose you were denied, which means you're likely to be denied in any jurisdiction for the rest of your life. So self-defense advocates just don't apply.

Yet we know that lawful citizens continue to be lawful whether armed or not, and we know that officers can't be everywhere at once. We've also seen an expansion of shall-issue policies in most states over the last couple of decades. The polices of Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington D.C. haven't served their citizens well.

So, my question to you is where you stand on this issue. Thank you kindly for your time.

Andrew in Sacramento

My e-mail to each candidate was similar, and Mr. Daniels earned my vote with his quick, positive reply.

Monkeybits
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Mr. Daniels does seem to be the only pro 2nd Amendment candidate. I don't really care if he's inarticulate so long as he's sincere. Here's Jim Cooper's response to my similar e-mail:

Thank you for your email. Here is Captain Cooper's position on CCW policy:

"If a person can show a demonstrated need and can pass requisite background checks, I would be open to issuing a concealed carry permit. However, I would like to see a uniform concealed carry permit standard across the State, not the jurisdictional patchwork that currently exists."

My reply, which I suspect won't be responded to:

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, most people who end up needing to defend themselves have no advance warning, and while I absolutely agree with background checks, I don't see "demonstrated need" as a condition to 2nd Amendment rights. Thank you for your time.

SixPointEight
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Mr. Daniels does seem to be the only pro 2nd Amendment candidate. I don't really care if he's inarticulate so long as he's sincere. Here's Jim Cooper's response to my similar e-mail:

My reply, which I suspect won't be responded to:

You should have included something about "self defense" being a valid need, what with the rising crime rates and all.

Monkeybits
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
You should have included something about "self defense" being a valid need, what with the rising crime rates and all.

You're right, I should have. I wonder if it would matter to him, though. I think too many high level officers see law enforcement as an us vs. them affair. I'd like a sheriff that sees me as an ally as a lawful citizen, not an opponent unless I'm wearing a uniform.

Monkeybits
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM

You're right, I should have. I wonder if it would matter to him, though. I think too many high level officers see law enforcement as an us vs. them affair. I'd like a sheriff that sees me as an ally as a lawful citizen, not an opponent unless I'm wearing a uniform.

JeepFreak
05-08-2010, 6:18 PM
Well I don't know a whole lot about him other than I've heard him speak and he is a bumbling idiot and at times completely incoherent. I mean truly bad. And that is hard for me to say because I REALLY want CCW here in Sacramento and I REALLY want to WANT to vote for Daniels. I just don't think I could after hearing him talk.

My dad doesn't like him because he thinks he's a moron. He's worked with him on a professional level (I don't really wanna say how cause I don't wanna out my dad on a public forum) but he doesn't have good things to say about him...at all.
Although I agree with spegull03 (below)... look where smooth talkers have gotten us! Would you rather vote for Cooper just because he can gracefully dance around a question without anybody noticing? :rolleyes:
Billy

There are two different links in this thread with video and audio, and it seems to show the opposite of what you are saying

Bret Daniels
05-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Wow. I'm certainly ok with you having your opinion and supporting whoever you want but your assertion that I am "a bumbling idiot and at times completely incoherent" shows that you simply support someone else but don't have the courage to just say so. And perhaps your dad does feel I'm a moron. I certainly worked with plenty in the County and I'm sure I didn't make everybody feel warm and fuzzy. I'm a straight shooter (no pun intended) and sometimes that rubs some folks wrong.

Most of my public appearances are recorded so why don't you tell all of us where you heard me speaking "truly bad" and I'll see if I can't post it here for everybody to hear.

Bret Daniels
05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Just once, JUST ONCE... I'd love to see a political rally or meet and greet schedule on a Saturday or Friday, so those of us who work nights could actually attend.

Hey Biz, I scheduled a barbeque fundraiser and precinct walk just for you on Saturday, May 15th, from 12pm to 3pm. Come and join us at the LART Group Chevron on the southeast corner of Antelope Rd and Auburn Blvd.

Monkeybits
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow. I'm certainly ok with you having your opinion and supporting whoever you want but your assertion that I am "a bumbling idiot and at times completely incoherent" shows that you simply support someone else but don't have the courage to just say so. And perhaps your dad does feel I'm a moron. I certainly worked with plenty in the County and I'm sure I didn't make everybody feel warm and fuzzy. I'm a straight shooter (no pun intended) and sometimes that rubs some folks wrong.

Most of my public appearances are recorded so why don't you tell all of us where you heard me speaking "truly bad" and I'll see if I can't post it here for everybody to hear.

I care far more about your support of the 2nd amendment than whether you come off as articulate or not. There are plenty of intelligent, capable people who simply aren't used to public speaking. That can change. So long as your feelings on the 2nd amendment don't change, however, I don't care if you're inarticulate.

Bizcuits
05-10-2010, 12:37 PM

I agree 100%

Haveyourmile-
I understand you respect for your father and his opinion, however all the research I've done has shown Daniels to be someone I can support. However... I'm not looking for a Sheriff who can be articulate and give Hope. I'm looking for a Sheriff that'll let me protect my own family and a Sheriff that'll not cave to the political cries of a few slimey liberals who run our county.

Bret Daniels
05-10-2010, 8:58 PM
I agree 100%

Haveyourmile-
I understand you respect for your father and his opinion, however all the research I've done has shown Daniels to be someone I can support. However... I'm not looking for a Sheriff who can be articulate and give Hope. I'm looking for a Sheriff that'll let me protect my own family and a Sheriff that'll not cave to the political cries of a few slimey liberals who run our county.

Biz, thanks for the support. I assure all that once elected, my position on CCW's will not change. I am a long documented supporter of the 2nd Amendment, not just pro-CCW, and what is in my heart will not change.

I hope you and the others can make the May 12th forum where I will be publicly signing a Second Amendment Rights Pleadge for the Citizens of Sacramento County.

joeyriv
05-10-2010, 9:17 PM
Allright, I'm cleared up schedule-wise and stoked for the forum on the 12th

Mstrty
05-11-2010, 1:19 PM
**UPDATE** Tomarrow is the day to come and visit with the Sacramento County Sheriff candidates. The Race is heating up and with Cooper and Jones duking it out it could lead to a 3rd to first place pass. Come and hear them talk and make up your mind in this Q&A session

spegull03
05-11-2010, 1:53 PM
Would anyone be interested in meeting up beforehand and discuss questions, maybe at a nearby coffee shop or something?

Mstrty
05-11-2010, 5:05 PM
Would anyone be interested in meeting up beforehand and discuss questions, maybe at a nearby coffee shop or something?

Im in. What? where?

thebronze
05-11-2010, 7:16 PM
Bret, do you have any flyers for the 5/15 gig and what about campaign stickers, buttons, signs etc.?

spegull03
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Bump, this is happening today!

Mstrty
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Bret, do you have any flyers for the 5/15 gig and what about campaign stickers, buttons, signs etc.?

Here is Bret's Facebook Page reguarding the walk/meet
Bret Event (http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages#!/event.php?eid=121763544503411)

Bizcuits
05-12-2010, 3:40 PM
so how where and when do we vote? or is it not a vote...????

June 8th

I've already got my sample absentee ballot in the mail

Bizcuits
05-12-2010, 4:04 PM
Really wish I could make this... Cooper and Jones are basically one in the same... They give the normal cookie cutter political answers...

Mstrty
05-12-2010, 5:10 PM
Last Chance. Post a question you would like asked at tonight forum and I will do my best to get someone to ask your question. Anyone?

Mstrty
05-12-2010, 6:55 PM
Kind of dead. Only about 20 people here and half of them are the League of women voter helpers. Pretty sad:(

joeyriv
05-12-2010, 7:09 PM
Allright, Brett's here, whew!

Bizcuits
05-12-2010, 8:04 PM
Kind of dead. Only about 20 people here and half of them are the League of women voter helpers. Pretty sad:(

I'm assuming the sad face mean's they weren't the hot soccer mom league?

Bizcuits
05-12-2010, 8:06 PM
Allright, Brett's here, whew!

Has the turn out improved at all? Good or bad?

joeyriv
05-12-2010, 9:14 PM
Turnout got a little better, probably 50 or so in the audience, which is actually pretty good for one of these things here in Sac.

RE: CCW - Didnt like the way Cooper focussed on stating there needs to be statewide uniformity and he requires a "demonstrated need" to issue. Jones talked all around the question without giving a real answer. Bret nailed it.

Mstrty
05-12-2010, 9:17 PM

Well it went well. About 35+ people slid in at the 11th hour. I counted 62 total. Questions were good. I didnt ask a gun question I knew Calgun members were there to take care of that. I asked the question about Sheriff officers taking their cars home. Some all the way to Colfax. We shall see what happens. I know it will be just more of the same with either Jones or Cooper.
Cooper got 50 thousand from the Unions. Jones got 10's of thousands from mostly small business. Daniels is working on a 3000 dollar budget and it cost 2000 just to run. I hope he can grab some steam/money soon.

Bizcuits
05-12-2010, 9:23 PM
Well hopefully Daniels can pick up some steam soon. He seems to have a really good following online, but we all know it's the old crowd and soccer mom's who are the majority of voters.

fish4lmb
05-12-2010, 9:26 PM
I felt Daniels was the only one to clearly spell out his views on CCW. Cooper talked about a statewide standard and mentioned demonstrated need. Jones kind of gave a generic response at the beginning and end of his alotted time and filled the rest with off topic info.

I got to meet a couple of current Calgunners and helped direct a new person here.

Mike

Bizcuits
05-12-2010, 9:31 PM
I felt Daniels was the only one to clearly spell out his views on CCW. Cooper talked about a statewide standard and mentioned demonstrated need. Jones kind of gave a generic response at the beginning and end of his alotted time and filled the rest with off topic info.

I got to meet a couple of current Calgunners and helped direct a new person here.

Mike

How many of those present seemed to sway towards which candidates? Any clear Daniels, Cooper and Jones supporters?

spegull03
05-12-2010, 9:39 PM
Sorry I couldnt make it, I am leaving for Kansas City in the morning and just had too much going on :(

JeepFreak
05-25-2010, 1:46 PM
Here are the notes I took at the last forum. There's another forum on Thursday at 7pm at Arden Church, 3927 Marconi Ave, Sacramento, CA

SCOTT JONES
——————
+ Says he’s pro CCW, but had the opportunity to influence current CCW policies and it’s still near impossible for the average “law abiding citizen”. The level of his influence isn’t clear.
+ Was permitted to drive a take-home car to and from his home in Colfax every day.
+ Does NOT support new taxes or fees disguised as taxes. Cautiously accepts red light cameras in select areas to reduce fatal accidents. Against speed cameras.
+ Says the SSD (Sacramento Sheriff’s Department) doesn’t have a revenue problem… it has a spending problem.
+ Wants to regionalize in order to pool resources with local municipalities and jurisdictions.
+All three candidates want to increase community involvement through POP and neighborhood watch programs and community volunteers.

JIM COOPER
—————–
+ Wants to shift the responsibility of CCW issuance to State or Federal Authorities, but says he would issue permits if the applicant can “demonstrate a need”.
+ Has received $50,000 in campaign donations from the Deputy Sheriff’s union. Jones points out that he may feel obligated to do what the union wants.
+ Proposed new taxes. Big proponent of red light cameras (in fact, it was the first thing he brought up when asked about budget issues on the 1380 KTKZ debate). Says he is against speed cameras, but didn’t address the difference between speed and red light cameras.
+ Says he will bring grants home from Washington DC to address the budget issues. Wants to persue more contracts, but admits that Citrus Heights and Elk Grove have canceled their agreement with the SSD and Rancho Cordova is not at all pleased with the service they’re receiving. Notes that these contracts aren’t working because the Sheriff’s Department has too much overhead, but doesn’t address any potential solutions.
+ All three candidates want to increase community involvement through POP and neighborhood watch programs and community volunteers.

BRET DANIELS
———————
+ Pro 2nd Amendment, pro CCW. His story has never changed in this regard. Also signed a “shall issue pledge” at the forum.
+ Points out several grossly wasteful areas within the department that he intends to address, such as the fact that 47% of the cars in the SSD’s fleet are take home cars.
+ Does not believe in new taxes or fees disguised as taxes. Opposes red light cameras except in desperate situations to reduce fatal accidents. Definitely against speed cameras. Notes that he doesn’t like any “automated tickets” that take away the discretion of the officer.
+ Says the SSD doesn’t need to increase revenue, it needs to restructure. Notes that while hundreds of entry level positions have been eliminated over the years, management positions have continued to increase. Wants to close station houses because they don’t increase community safety… they just require more money for lease, equipment, management positions, etc.
+ All three candidates want to increase community involvement through POP and neighborhood watch programs and community volunteers.

HTH,
Billy