PDA

View Full Version : Forward Pistol Grip vs Forward Handle Bar

1911_Mitch
02-24-2006, 1:15 PM
According to the DOJ interpretation, a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means "a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing."

So.........if you want a "forward pistol grip"...

All of you with quad rails, what about simply rotating a grip like protuburance 90 degrees so that it sticks out to one side, kinda like the old British Sterling (I think), and voila, you no longer have a forward pistol grip, you have a forward handle bar. Although not quite as ergonomic, I suppose it could help with recoil control.

I doubt I will configure my personal rifle this way, but I'm just throwing this out there. Thoughts?

ldivinag
02-24-2006, 3:31 PM
from the AR/AK FAQ link on top of this page, in RED

RIFLES:

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines and any of:

▪ a pistol grip protruding conspicuously below the weapon’s action

▪ a thumbhole stock or folding or telescopic stock;

▪ a flash suppressor, grenade launcher or flare launcher;

▪ a forward pistol grip.

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with overall length of less than 30 inches;

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine holding over 10 rounds.

PanzerAce
02-24-2006, 4:43 PM
actually, he might be onto something here.

1911_Mitch
02-24-2006, 4:51 PM
I don't believe post # 2 understood the intent.

Forward grip would stick out the left side of rifle (for right-side shooters)

This style of grip does not protrude below the weapon, and the firing grip stays about the exposed portion of trigger.

I am not sure it gains anything over a conventional rifle grip, but it is worth exploring.

I currently do not have a setup to try this with, so I don't know about the ergonomics.

glen avon
02-24-2006, 5:01 PM
well, as soon as you rotate the gun 90 degrees axially, it's below the action. :o(

maybe not?

you might be on to something.

gose
02-24-2006, 6:18 PM
"pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means "a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing."

is NOT the same thing as a "pistol grip".

If the writing would have been:
"a forward pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" then it might have been fairly safe to assume that it would be ok, but now it only says "forward pistol grip" and even though its rotated 90 degrees, it's still a pistol grip.

My guess would be a big NO to this...

Taz77
02-24-2006, 6:19 PM
A forward pistol grip is still a forward pistol grip no matter how you mount it. If it's manufactured as a forward pistol grip, sold as a forward pistol grip... it is a forward pistol grip despite how it's mounted. It doesn't matter if it protrudes "conspicuously below the weapon’s action". That applies for the regular pistol grip.

TonyM
02-24-2006, 7:34 PM
from Cali PC:

2006 Dangerous Weapons Control Laws
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

From SB23 (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/genchar.htm):

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Demented_Mind
02-24-2006, 8:09 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but it doesn't matter, you could have 20 pistol/forward grips covering every inch of rail you have and anywhere else you could mount one, as long as you have a fixed mag you should be fine.

ldivinag
02-24-2006, 9:24 PM
yes, it must be 30" in length or longer.

JAMES77257
02-25-2006, 5:29 AM
I believe the forward pistol grip thing is referring to those bullpup kits where the trigger and pistol grip is relocated in front of the receiver. A pistol grip allows a weapon to be fired one-handed, not the case with a rail mounted handle.