View Full Version : Fishing Convict Lake (and surrounding lakes)

Blood Ocean
04-20-2010, 4:43 PM
Does anyone have any practical experience fishing Convict or any of the surrounding lakes? Any recomendations for lakes, baits, techniques, etc. are welcome. We're going for a friendly fishing derby in October and last year's biggest fish was 2lb 8oz, I want better this year.

Thanks for the help!

Big Jake
04-20-2010, 5:56 PM
I have fished Crowley Lake many times and always done well! As far as bait, etc. I would stop at Culver's Sporting Goods in Bishop and ask them. They are always up on whats happening fishing wise in the area.

They are on Main Street on the East side of the street on the South side of town.

Good luck!

04-21-2010, 4:57 AM
I love convict. We used to do a trip up every year and camp in a tent right next to the lake. If there is snow don't go around the steep backside. Take the long way around... Also you can hike up to the second lake above convict. not as many people go up there, too much work.

Powerbait/crawlers worked a bit. Crawlers on a clear bubble about 8-10' leader was best.

Tails did nothing for me, gold/rainbow kastmasters did good for us though working the bank.

04-21-2010, 6:13 AM
From the shore I have always done good with 2# line tied up in a Carolina rig with No. 10 treble hook floating power bait (rainbow w/ glitter). Caught many trout with this setup at Convict, June Loop, and Lake Mary.

04-21-2010, 1:36 PM
use a worm with garlic scent. It landed me a 8#14oz fish last year out of convict. Look for my picture in the bait and tackle shop.

Blood Ocean
04-21-2010, 2:34 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, looking forward to a lunker this year.