PDA

View Full Version : Help in Identifying...

BusBoy
04-20-2010, 2:52 PM
I have a pair of what I guess are Dueling Pistols?? I have no idea what time period, My Father owned them, no paperwork, case, nothing!

Found them in a trunk in the attic when cleaning his stuff up after his passing. Not sure if the wear/age should be cleaned up or should they be left as is.

thanks everyone!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4539327662_9f36f76589.jpg

Carsgunsandchics
04-20-2010, 3:08 PM
Don't clean. They loose alot of value when you remove or clean the patina. I don't know what make or model/year. But don't clean..

gun toting monkeyboy
04-20-2010, 3:20 PM
You would need to post some more pictures to help us identify them. They are not dueling pistols, but rather pocket pistols from the mid to late 19th century. I can't tell for sure, but I would say pinfire, most likely. The workmanship looks like it is Belgian, but it could just as easily be a Spanish copy. Post a picture showing the top of the pistol, where the hammer would hit. And any proof marks. If it has a small "ELG" in an oval, it is Belgian.

Argonaut
04-20-2010, 6:40 PM
Hello, I agree, Not dueling pistols, Too short and they would not have the folding trigger......A set of nice Pocket pistols, Probably European pin Fire that would date post Civil War. Do nothing to the finish except maby a little oil. The best experts are not on this blog, go to Antique Arms.

Spiggy
04-20-2010, 6:58 PM
that's the kind of gun where you go to some specialized fancy ye olde gunshoppe, and you ask for the rounds, the guy comes back up and blows the dust off the box.

Argonaut
04-20-2010, 7:08 PM
that's the kind of gun where you go to some specialized fancy ye olde gunshoppe, and you ask for the rounds, the guy comes back up and blows the dust off the box.

Do you have any Idea What a Pin Fire is? "rounds" haven't been made for it for over 100 years and you would not shoot them if you did find some. They are only found in Ammunition collectors displays.

gun toting monkeyboy
04-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Do you have any Idea What a Pin Fire is? "rounds" haven't been made for it for over 100 years and you would not shoot them if you did find some. They are only found in Ammunition collectors displays.

Nah, it isn't that bad. I reload the 7mm version. There is a guy in Belgium that makes reloadable cases for 7,9, and 12mm pinfire cartridges. The basic kit runs around $210, but you can fake it with just the cases, bullets, #11 caps and black powder. Oh, and a bit of know-how mixed with a bit of not caring about being able to count to 10 on just your fingers anymore. If you could post some more pictures I could probably come up with a bit more information. Let us know if it looks like a .32, .38, or .45 caliber bore. That should narrow it down a bit.

BusBoy
04-21-2010, 5:36 AM
Nah, it isn't that bad. I reload the 7mm version. There is a guy in Belgium that makes reloadable cases for 7,9, and 12mm pinfire cartridges. The basic kit runs around $210, but you can fake it with just the cases, bullets, #11 caps and black powder. Oh, and a bit of know-how mixed with a bit of not caring about being able to count to 10 on just your fingers anymore. If you could post some more pictures I could probably come up with a bit more information. Let us know if it looks like a .32, .38, or .45 caliber bore. That should narrow it down a bit.

Lol :eek: I like my fingers!

Ill get more pics to you guys after getting back from work, came home too late to take pics after reading your responses, Which by the way THANK YOU!

From a quick recall of my rapidly fading memory... it appears to be a .45 caliber bore with rifling.

The only marks on the guns are matching numbers on the trigger and I cant remember where. There is a "j" looking mark on the bottom of the barrel also.

Ill get those pics into you guys asap and thanks for the help!

Tacom
04-21-2010, 6:01 AM

I think he was joking...

Spiggy
04-21-2010, 6:56 AM

if .41 Swiss Rimfire still exists in reloadable form, pinfire will exist too.

It's kind of a half-joke, the ammo certainly exists. Atleast in two forms. A box covered in dust buried in some gun shop or antique shop. Or an enterprising reloader's table.

singleshotman
04-21-2010, 7:29 AM
Pinfire cartridges were sold in Europe untill 1939, according to the Gun Digest.It's dollar's to donuts it was made in Belgium.Pinfires were made until 1914, see gunbroker, lots of them on there, you can get some idea of it's value. I've shot a 10 bore pinfire double rifle, it was borrowed for the purpose.

gun toting monkeyboy
04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey now, I reload .41 swiss too...

The style of pistol you have there was pretty common both in Europe and in South America. There were versions in percussion, pinfire, and rimfire. They were mostly designed for self defense. The quality ran the gammut from cheap, Saturday night special quality to well crafted, ornate pieces with ebony or ivory grips. Single barrelled and double barrelled versions were produced well into the 20th century. That is because they were much more reliable than many of the pinfire revolvers of the time. If you ever get to handle one, you will see what I mean. They are flimsy under the best of circumstances, and downright delicate most of the time. A plain old derringer like the ones you have was often a better choice for self defense. If yours looks like it is about .45, it is probably a 12mm. If you go on gunbroker you should be able to find the guy selling unloaded cartridges. They run 5-10 a pop, but the cases are reloadable. I would get one just to see if it fits in your guns. There is a slight chance that it may be a 15mm, but those were pretty uncommon.

-Mb

Spiggy
04-21-2010, 3:33 PM
I rest my case :D