PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana PD Chief Shows His True Colors

OrangeCountyCCW
04-20-2010, 2:47 PM
Just received this. Putting aside for the minute the ridiculous idea that this is a "major endorsement" for circling-the-drain Appointed Sheriff Hutchens, it is disturbing in that Chief Walters was touted by some in the pro-CCW community as a challenger to Hutchens. This plan went off the rails when Walters (after months of waffling) finally decided not to run.

For Walters to go out of his way to endorse Hutchens after what she has done to the law-abiding citizens of this county really shows his true colors on the CCW issue.

--
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 20, 2010 (916) 626-6804

Major Endorsement in Sheriff Race

Santa Ana Police Chief Paul Walters
Endorses Sheriff Sandra Hutchens

SANTA ANA, CA -- Santa Ana Police Chief Paul Walters today endorsed Sheriff Sandra Hutchens for election on June 8th. Walters, who is Police Chief in Orange County's largest city, was once widely considered to be a strong contender for Sheriff himself in 2010 had he chosen to run.

"Sheriff Sandra Hutchens has restored integrity and professionalism to the management of the Sheriff's office, which is what Orange County needed," said Chief Walters. "Based on her record as Sheriff and her dedication to public safety, Sheriff Hutchens has my strong endorsement."

Paul Walters has served as Chief of Police in Santa Ana since 1988. He is an Air Force veteran with over 36 years of law enforcement experience. In 2006, Walters was a candidate against ex-Sheriff Mike Carona.

"I am honored to have earned the support of Police Chief Paul Walters, who shares my commitment to public safety and integrity in office," said Sheriff Hutchens.

Sheriff Hutchens is leading the polls by a wide margin and has earned the majority of key law enforcement endorsements in her campaign to be elected to a full four year term in June. In addition to Chief Walters, Hutchens has been endorsed by the Association of Orange County Deputy District Attorneys, the California Peace Officers Association, the California Reserve Peace Officers Association, the Orange County Taxpayers Association, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore, San Bernardino County Sheriff Rod Hoops and Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, as well as Orange County Superintendent of Schools Bill Habermehl.

AndrewMendez
04-20-2010, 2:58 PM
Anything Baca endorses is no friend of mine, let alone Sheriff Walters, everyone knows Santa Ana is on the front line of Zero Crime :rolleyes: Hell LA County is a close second. Is she really leading the polls? I thought EVERYBODY wanted her out? I was even looking to move to OC from LA County just for the benefits of one of the Pro CCW choices.

GuyW
04-20-2010, 4:23 PM
Hutchens has been endorsed by...San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore....

Wow - endorsed by the Butcher of Ruby Ridge!

Can we expect an endorsement by the Wicked Witch of the West, too??

Maybe Janet Reno can advise her on barbecuing kids via teargas....

Maybe Gore can do a TV spot for her about the necessity to shoot your wife in the head if he thinks (wrongly, ooops) that you have an illegal firearm...

Does her team know about damage control?

CalNRA
04-20-2010, 6:31 PM
with the changing demographics of Orange County, I expect the newly arrived voters to not give a rat's behind about the BoR or Gore.

SteveH
04-21-2010, 1:22 AM
Just one double-dipper supporting another.

N6ATF
04-21-2010, 9:42 AM
I'd be more surprised to find a CLEO following their oath and NOT committing, supporting, and defending treason.

Every day, I see a police chief's association defecating all over the U.S., and their respective state, Constitutions.

DVSmith
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
A rumor being spread is that Hutchens strong armed Walters into doing this. So I have the following observations on that:

Pressure could have come from:

Political leaders in his city - They certainly could have said, do this or we will make your life miserable or not fund a project you want or force you into retirement sooner than would be good for you.

Hutchens herself - she has the ability to support or oppose operational initiatives he may have and Walter's son is a OC Sheriff Deputy.

Outside political influences - if he has aspirations of running for some other office, maybe city council or ? he may have been given a quid pro quo opportunity.

In all of those cases, including his city leaders, if he REALLY did not want to endorse her he could have declined and maintained political cover. It happens all the time. He took the step of actually endorsing. That means he is happy enough with her being sheriff and even possibly concerned about who might replace her if she loses.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
A rumor being spread is that Hutchens strong armed Walters into doing this. So I have the following observations on that:

Pressure could have come from:

Political leaders in his city - They certainly could have said, do this or we will make your life miserable or not fund a project you want or force you into retirement sooner than would be good for you.

Hutchens herself - she has the ability to support or oppose operational initiatives he may have and Walter's son is a OC Sheriff Deputy.

Outside political influences - if he has aspirations of running for some other office, maybe city council or ? he may have been given a quid pro quo opportunity.

In all of those cases, including his city leaders, if he REALLY did not want to endorse her he could have declined and maintained political cover. It happens all the time. He took the step of actually endorsing. That means he is happy enough with her being sheriff and even possibly concerned about who might replace her if she loses.

Is there any history between Walters versus Hunt or Hunter?

DVSmith
04-21-2010, 1:04 PM
Is there any history between Walters versus Hunt or Hunter?

I am not aware that Walters has any real strong relationships with any of the candidates, positive or negative.