PDA

View Full Version : Received Meg Whitman's printed policy agenda in the mail today - Interesting.

mattmcg
04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I received what looked to be a small magazine in the mail today that was entitled "MEG 2010 - Building a New California - Policy Agenda". Since the elections are a ways off still, I haven't really looked into any candidates for governor so took a moment to read through the circular.

The magazine is fairly detailed and I was expecting to find a bunch of anti-2A vitriol given the attitude at eBay regarding anything gun related but interestingly enough, it was void of any mention except for one paragraph that I found interesting.

"OPPOSE ANY NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS - Meg supports the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, but she believes the right to bear arms can and should be balanced with responsible gun control laws. At this time, Meg believes that California does not need additional gun control measures."

So it sounds like she's happy with the status quo and wouldn't do anything to help or hurt California gun owners if you take her quote at face value. Of course that is a difficult thing to say about a politician but figured I would throw the info out there.

My real question is, will any of the candidates for Governor do anything to help give back the rights that the state has taken away after so many years? Jerry Brown seems like a 2A supporter but would he do anything to assist our cause? Is there any proof that he would beyond advocating a certain outcome in Heller?

As is often the case with elections, I feel that I am deciding between the lesser of two evils in this state. For once, I'd like to see us move forward in the 2A area.

CHS
04-20-2010, 12:23 PM
"OPPOSE ANY NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS - Meg supports the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, but she believes the right to bear arms can and should be balanced with responsible gun control laws. At this time, Meg believes that California does not need additional gun control measures."

The bolded statement, to me, is in DIRECT conflict with the heading.

This also gives her a very easy out to enact any new gun control that she sees fit later on that fit her idea of a second amendment that is balanced with responsible gun control laws.

Plus, as long as she was CEO of Ebay, they banned perfectly legal transactions of firearms and firearms parts for no apparent good reason.

gunsmith
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Jerry! a vote for Meg is a vote for all the bovine excrement you get from ebay

Super Spy
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
California has way too many stupid gun control laws....Meg supports this....Thanks for the clarification.......I'll vote for JB.

berto
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
It all depends on her definition of responsible. Either she thinks existing laws, some of which are indefensible, are responsible or she's playing politics and not attacking some of them. She's likely Arnold at best which isn't comforting at all. JB's gone out of his way to not stick it to us and he's had every chance in the world to do it. The most a governor can really do is veto nonsense.

Sinestr
04-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Meg Whitmen }
Jerry Brown }
Steve Poizner }

Is like saying Pick one....

Brain Tumor}
Rectal Cancer}
Expolisive Diarrhea}

Welcome to the PRK , were not left with much in the way of choices... IMO

PaperPuncher
04-20-2010, 1:00 PM
"OPPOSE ANY NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS - Meg supports the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, but she believes the right to bear arms can and should be balanced with responsible gun control laws. At this time Meg needs your votes to win so, Meg believes that California does not need additional gun control measures. After Meg is elected she will, no doubt, implement the E-bay firearms policy against the people of this state so as to bolster California's A+ rating with the Brady Bunch."

They left some details out, fixed it.

boxbro
04-20-2010, 1:05 PM
Meg Whitmen }
Jerry Brown }
Steve Poizner }

Is like saying Pick one....

Brain Tumor}
Rectal Cancer}
Expolisive Diarrhea}

Welcome to the PRK , were not left with much in the way of choices... IMO

I'll take explosive diarrhea for $1000 Alex.

triaged
04-20-2010, 1:08 PM
Brain Tumor}
Rectal Cancer}
Expolisive Diarrhea}Out of those choices I'm voting for Explosive Diarrhea:gnorsi:

GutPunch
04-20-2010, 1:49 PM
Time for a new pair of shorts for me!

five.five-six
04-20-2010, 1:51 PM
here is the printed material I got from her from back before she was spending tens of millions on being elected queen of california

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6954/megwhitman.jpg

I think we know where her heart is

Glock22Fan
04-20-2010, 2:06 PM
Anyone who thinks Meg is anything but our enemy needs a reality check.

Things are certainly not going to get easier if she wins.

On the other hand, despite those of you who only know about the amica brief, Jerry has already done a lot for us. The DoJ is, thanks to Jerry, quite benign these days. That could reverse unless the Gov. thinks on Jerry's lines. Meg certainly doesn't.

Thkn what would happen with Meg in the Governor's office and Kamilla as A.G. Lots of anti-gun pressure and a governor who is basically opposed to us. As Jerry has already demonstrated his willingness to keep the DoJ in check, having him as Governor is perhaps the only thing that would stop them running wild with underground regulations, harassment etc.

Whiskey_Sauer
04-20-2010, 2:42 PM

I got this mailer, too. This bolded part bothers me more than the former statement. This "at this time" qualifier gives her all the wiggle room she needs in the future to go sideways.

Nope, not getting my vote.

B Strong
04-20-2010, 3:57 PM
She's a politician on the campaign trail - anything that comes out of the mouth of a politician on the campaign trail can not be trusted until proven otherwise - both parties, any election.

mattmcg
04-20-2010, 7:58 PM
The bolded statement, to me, is in DIRECT conflict with the heading.

This also gives her a very easy out to enact any new gun control that she sees fit later on that fit her idea of a second amendment that is balanced with responsible gun control laws.

Plus, as long as she was CEO of Ebay, they banned perfectly legal transactions of firearms and firearms parts for no apparent good reason.

I'm not sure what you are reading into concerning the heading. I only said "interesting". Not good or bad, just "interesting". It was the first time I had read anything in regards to her political stance on 2A issues which is why I found this "interesting".

That said, find me a politician that will publicly state the exact corollary.

"OPPOSE ANY NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS - Candidate X supports the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens and believes that gun control laws in this state are already too restrictive. Candidate X believes that California should remove and/or repeal gun control laws that are found to be infringing upon citizen's rights or have proven completely ineffectual towards their original objectives."

That's a candidate I can get behind......

Can'thavenuthingood
04-20-2010, 8:40 PM
find me a politician that will publicly state the exact corollary.

"OPPOSE ANY NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS - Candidate X supports the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens and believes that gun control laws in this state are already too restrictive. Candidate X believes that California should remove and/or repeal gun control laws that are found to be infringing upon citizen's rights or have proven completely ineffectual towards their original objectives."

That's a candidate I can get behind......

Maybe not exactly, but he's close enough to get the intent.

Larry Naritelli (http://www.larrynaritelli.vpweb.com/2ndAmendment.html)
http://www.larrynaritelli.vpweb.com/2ndAmendment.html

Over the years there have been many cases brought before the Supreme Court that have attempted to weaken or eliminate this right. Each time the Supreme Court has upheld the Second Amendment rights. This right is individually held and it protects "the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation," including "all instruments that constitute bearable arms"

The inherent right of self defense has been central to the Second Amendment right.

This right is crucial in keeping us free and is what makes our country strong. It separates us from the tyrannical dictatorships around the world.

I fully support the Second Amendment right to bear arms and I am a member of the NRA. I also oppose the attempt to over tax and over regulate ammunition as a means to subvert our Second Amendment Rights.

dfletcher
04-20-2010, 8:45 PM
"At this time ....." she's not Governor so what she thinks or does now amounts to nothing. After she's elected is no longer "at this time" so I suppose she could do or "believe" whatever she wants and say she kept her promise.

Using words to obscure rather than to explain is the mark of person who can not be trusted.

HondaMasterTech
04-20-2010, 9:14 PM
I read somewhere that she supports the EBR ban and supports severe restrictions on handguns in California. Probably, doesn't support new gun control laws. Probably, supports an all out ban on guns. Only time will tell because I predict she will win this election.

KylaGWolf
04-20-2010, 9:37 PM
It all depends on her definition of responsible. Either she thinks existing laws, some of which are indefensible, are responsible or she's playing politics and not attacking some of them. She's likely Arnold at best which isn't comforting at all. JB's gone out of his way to not stick it to us and he's had every chance in the world to do it. The most a governor can really do is veto nonsense.

She has stated in the past she agrees with the current legislation and thought AB962 was a wonderful idea. That in itself loses my vote.

thebronze
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
I received what looked to be a small magazine in the mail today that was entitled "MEG 2010 - Building a New California - Policy Agenda". Since the elections are a ways off still, I haven't really looked into any candidates for governor so took a moment to read through the circular.

The magazine is fairly detailed and I was expecting to find a bunch of anti-2A vitriol given the attitude at eBay regarding anything gun related but interestingly enough, it was void of any mention except for one paragraph that I found interesting.

So it sounds like she's happy with the status quo and wouldn't do anything to help or hurt California gun owners if you take her quote at face value. Of course that is a difficult thing to say about a politician but figured I would throw the info out there.

My real question is, will any of the candidates for Governor do anything to help give back the rights that the state has taken away after so many years? Jerry Brown seems like a 2A supporter but would he do anything to assist our cause? Is there any proof that he would beyond advocating a certain outcome in Heller?

As is often the case with elections, I feel that I am deciding between the lesser of two evils in this state. For once, I'd like to see us move forward in the 2A area.

That will NEVER happen with ANY Governor in this state.

thebronze
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
here is the printed material I got from her from back before she was spending tens of millions on being elected queen of california

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6954/megwhitman.jpg

I think we know where her heart is

What is this from? What is it a list of?

Wild Squid
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
She only said that to win over some Republicans to her side. It's not even a big issue for her, and she probably wants to stay away from it, and just focus on running us middle class into the ground by sticking it to us like a business. That is what businesses do, isn't it?

Full Clip
04-21-2010, 12:33 AM
That will NEVER happen with ANY Governor in this state.

Too true.
Meg is the worst example of a RINO.
Oh, wait, no... Arnold still is... or, maybe... eh, they both suck.

otteray
04-21-2010, 4:51 AM
[QUOTE=thebronze;4159867]What is this from? What is it a list of?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

bruss01
04-21-2010, 6:16 AM
Every four years
They pick two weasels
And let us choose
The lesser of evils.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Every four years
They pick two weasels
And let us choose
The lesser of evils.

They do allow us to vote in the primaries.

We could vote for someone else during the primaries and see what happens.
Far as I'm concerned with Jerry Whitman it's a wash.

Might check out Larry Naritelli for the Primary.
http://www.larrynaritelli.vpweb.com/default.html

Vick

California Major
04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Ebay banning legal firearm transactions pretty much tells you where she stands.

Sorry Meg. Outbid.

Legasat
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
but she believes the right to bear arms can and should be balanced with responsible gun control laws.

As far as I'm concerned, that statement is an oxymoron.

NO Governor is going to help us until we get back control of the Legislature, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Our only hope is the Courts...

Untamed1972
04-21-2010, 1:03 PM
[QUOTE]"OPPOSE ANY NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS - Meg supports the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, but she believes the right to bear arms can and should be balanced with responsible gun control laws. At this time, Meg believes that California does not need additional gun control measures."{/QUOTE]

responsible gun control = good muzzle discipline and marksmanship