PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Sheriff's candidate Jim Cooper doesn't support CCW's

thebronze
04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Here's an email that I sent to Jim Cooper last night:

Coop,

I worked for SSD as an On-Call back in the mid-90's and went on to a couple other departments over the years.

I've always respected you as a cop and I think you have the other two beaten, hands-down, as far as training and experience.

However, you haven't earned my vote (yet) for Sheriff because of what you've said about CCW permits.

From your statements, it seems that you would continue the SSD tradition/policy of being very restrictive in issuing them.

How can any Sheriff in this day and age, not be for law-abiding citizens having the legal means to defend themselves, when crime is (seemingly) up in the County and SSD has cut personnel and will be cutting more. I don't see very many SSD cars in Orangevale any more and I foresee seeing even less in the future.

I had over 4 1/2 years as a cop or deputy and I'm retired from the military, but I haven't even bothered to apply for a CCW because I doubt I could get one, knowing what I know and what I've heard about SSD's CCW policy (even though I had one prior to becoming a Designated Level I with SSD and all my subsequent employment/training/experience).

Keep in mind that I will never vote for Scott Jones, but I would vote for Bret Daniels because of his stated support for CCW issuance for law-abiding citizens.

Why should I vote for you?

Sincerely,
Steve

Here is "his" reply:

Hi Steve,
My name is Lindsay XXXXXX, and I'm working on Jim's campaign. Below is Jim's take on the CCW issue. I hope this helps.
Thank you,
Lindsay

Jim on CCW's: "If a person can show a demonstrated need and can pass requisite background checks, I would be open to using a concealed carry permit. However, I would like to see a uniform concealed carry permit standard across the State, not the jurisdictional patchwork that currently exists."

Here's my final reply:

Lindsay,

Thanks for the reply.

No, actually it doesn't help at all. But it does tell me what I need to know about Coop's position on issuing CCW's and also who I need to vote for in the upcoming election. It won't be Jim Cooper.

I'll be posting his (your) response on the Cal Guns website (and others), so that other Sacramento County residents will know where Jim stands on issuing CCW's, so they can vote accordingly.

Thanks.
Steve

Glock22Fan
04-20-2010, 11:41 AM
It would be helpful for those of us who do not know who Cooper is, if you would put the county (Sacramento) and elected post (sheriff) in the title.

thebronze
04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
It would be helpful for those of us who do not know who Cooper is, if you would put the county (Sacramento) and elected post (sheriff) in the title.

People on CalGuns that live in Sacramento County know who he is and what he's running for.

Ed_in_Sac
04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I appreciate the post and liv in Sac of Tomatoes :-) Would like to know if there is a candidate worth supporting from a 2a perspective. Would be willing to help them in their campaign by volunteering. Any ideas???

Fjold
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
People on CalGuns that live in Sacramento County know who he is and what he's running for.

OK, so put "Sacramento" and "Sheriff" in the title so the rest of us don't have to read it to figure out what you're talking about.

thebronze
04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
I appreciate the post and liv in Sac of Tomatoes :-) Would like to know if there is a candidate worth supporting from a 2a perspective. Would be willing to help them in their campaign by volunteering. Any ideas???

All three candidates suck pretty royally, but at least Bret Daniels heavily supports 2A and CCW's for law-abiding citizens.

Ed_in_Sac
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Will check out, thanks!

thebronze
04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
OK, so put "Sacramento" and "Sheriff" in the title so the rest of us don't have to read it to figure out what you're talking about.

Why would you read it if you didn't know who he is?

I wouldn't read something about someone running for Sheriff in Bakersfield because I don't who's running.

Don't be silly.

30rdMag
04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
He does make some good points.
I think it should be standardized across the state. This takes the police chiefs bad day out. Then I feel it would open the door to a lawsuit if someone was turned down based on the chiefs bad day.
If I can get a permit in the county next door, But not here in my own, I would be led to belive that someone is discriminating aginst me.
So by having a state level program, law and guide lines, this would help. As you would have more power to fight in court. Because now its a crap shoot.

He also didnt say he was against it. sounded more like he was for it. Just wished for more level playing field.

Now could that be a load of ****? I bet it might be. It would be intresting to send an email being against gun and see what reply you get. And see if its a send them what they want to hear but be very loose in terms.

thebronze
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I think it should be standardized across the state. This takes the police chiefs bad day out. Then I feel it would open the door to a lawsuit if someone was turned down based on the chiefs bad day.
If I can get a permit in the county next door, But not here in my own, I would be led to belive that someone is discriminating aginst me.
So by having a state level program, law and guide lines, this would help. As you would have more power to fight in court. Because now its a crap shoot.

He also didnt say he was against it. sounded more like he was for it. Just wished for more level playing field.

Now could that be a load of ****? I bet it might be. It would be intresting to send an email being against gun and see what reply you get. And see if its a send them what they want to hear but be very loose in terms.

That's probably true.

Unless someone specifically says something along the lines of "I support a citizen's right of self-defense and support law-abiding citizens having CCW's" (as Bret Daniels has) I'll assume (correctly, I think, in this case) that he's against it.

Glock22Fan
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM

And those of us who live down south may not have any idea whatsoever. Some of them may even not want to bother to open the thread if they knew where it was. Thank you for changing it though.

Python2
04-20-2010, 5:40 PM
Why would you read it if you didn't know who he is?

I wouldn't read something about someone running for Sheriff in Bakersfield because I don't who's running.

Don't be silly.

Geez! lighten up dude.:rolleyes: Not everyone has the time to deciper a thread you know? I myself for a minute was wondering where the heck he was running.

Lone_Gunman
04-20-2010, 8:45 PM
Uhhhh. I live in Sac county and hadn't heard of him till I read this thread. It is, after all, 6 months till the election...

thebronze
04-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Uhhhh. I live in Sac county and hadn't heard of him till I read this thread. It is, after all, 6 months till the election...

Seriously? Apparently, you don't watch the news or read a paper much...

Get informed about the county you live in.

CSDGuy
04-21-2010, 12:18 AM
The two SSD Deputies that are running do not seem to be any better than the current administration, in terms of CCW issuance and Daniels may not actually be a legally qualified Candidate to be Sheriff.

About the only good thing I saw in Cooper's statement is that he wants uniform issuance criteria throughout the state. That, would bring California more in-line with Oregon. CCW Licenses are issued by the Sheriffs there, and the process is basically identical throughout that state, as are the restrictions (Sheriffs can NOT add any restrictions to a CCW License).

Under our current system, modified for uniform issuance (but still "may issue"), I think we'd either see a LOT of applicants approved or, more likely, a LOT of applicants denied and denied renewal. I don't see that working out well... ultimately, as it'd either be found to be unconstitutional or it would be completely unpalatable to the "right people" in counties that keep the $$$ and reins on influence of certain elected officials.

Either would nudge the state towards Shall Issue of it's own accord.

thebronze
04-21-2010, 12:54 AM
The two SSD Deputies that are running do not seem to be any better than the current administration, in terms of CCW issuance and Daniels may not actually be a legally qualified Candidate to be Sheriff.

About the only good thing I saw in Cooper's statement is that he wants uniform issuance criteria throughout the state. That, would bring California more in-line with Oregon. CCW Licenses are issued by the Sheriffs there, and the process is basically identical throughout that state, as are the restrictions (Sheriffs can NOT add any restrictions to a CCW License).

Under our current system, modified for uniform issuance (but still "may issue"), I think we'd either see a LOT of applicants approved or, more likely, a LOT of applicants denied and denied renewal. I don't see that working out well... ultimately, as it'd either be found to be unconstitutional or it would be completely unpalatable to the "right people" in counties that keep the $$$ and reins on influence of certain elected officials.

Either would nudge the state towards Shall Issue of it's own accord.

Just curious why you think so?

I thought he might not either (out of LE too long), until I looked up the applicable GC section. He's got an Advanced Certificate, so he's 100% good to go.

I agree with everything else, though.

All three candidates SUCK, but Daniels sucks a little less due to his CCW stance. Cooper would be status quo at best and so would Jones, if not worse.

CSDGuy
04-21-2010, 1:11 AM
Well, if Daniels has the Advanced POST Certificate, and he's current (current enough to matter), then he's good to go on that end. I'd hate for him to be bounced from the race on that technicality.

Unfortunately, unless he's found some deeper pockets somewhere, I think he'll be outspent on this race. The last one, I saw and heard LOTS of stuff about McGinness. I just saw a few signs here and there about Daniels. Guess who got "the backing"?

thebronze
04-21-2010, 1:19 AM
He definitely doesn't have the backing, but he's fully qualified to run.

GC 24004.3 (a)(1) says if he has an active or inactive Advanced Certificate, he's good to go.

Ed_in_Sac
04-21-2010, 6:43 AM
Think this is a worthwhile discussion. Don't know that there is a "clear" choice for Sheriff, or who is "electable." The mention of Daniels got me looking at his page, kinda clunky. He seems to support 2a, yes he wants uniform guidelines for Sheriffs, and the right to self defense. Is he serious, I don't know but the statement alone was worth a small contribution. Unfortunately, he does not have a email contact just a campaign headquarters to write/phone. Should we ask him for clarification???

BigJim_610
04-21-2010, 9:38 AM
Uniform "shall issue" for CCW will not happen in my lifetime or anyone else on this board.

There are two many feel good ridiculous laws already on the books as an example.

People are afraid of guns, look at the uproar over OC.
Sorry folks it will not happen.

joeyriv
04-21-2010, 9:55 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. Looks like Bret still has my vote. How exactly would I "demonstrate a need" anyway??? Perhaps a notorized letter from the local Bloods affiliate that they're out to get me???

thebronze
04-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Think this is a worthwhile discussion. Don't know that there is a "clear" choice for Sheriff, or who is "electable." The mention of Daniels got me looking at his page, kinda clunky. He seems to support 2a, yes he wants uniform guidelines for Sheriffs, and the right to self defense. Is he serious, I don't know but the statement alone was worth a small contribution. Unfortunately, he does not have a email contact just a campaign headquarters to write/phone. Should we ask him for clarification???

Yeah, his website isn't very good and lacking very much info.

It's almost as if he's half-a**ing it and isn't really serious about becoming Sheriff.

Ed_in_Sac
04-21-2010, 3:06 PM
Most people running for office hire someone to do their web site and keep it up to date. Daniels may not have had enough money to get a first rate site done, not surprising.

Jamez
04-21-2010, 3:09 PM
When is the vote for Sac Sheriff? June? Just want to make sure I don't miss it.

Super Spy
04-21-2010, 3:34 PM
If there ever were a statewide policy on issuing CCW's I can't help but think the jack-holes in Sacramento would make it difficult as hell to get. Does anybody here reasonably think that the current crop of Sacramento legislators would ever support a real shall-issue policy?

socalblue
04-21-2010, 3:47 PM
As difficult as it's going to be I'm starting to feel we need go the ballot initiative route. The Federal courts are only going to go so far then it's up to the Legislature. As shown in DC they will keep pushing until the courts let it slide by or the opposition runs out of $$.

We would need at least two ballot initiatives: one to amend the CA Constitution & one (Or perhaps more) for actual law changes.

Constitution needs to be 1st though. Done correctly it could moot a lot of the bad laws in one shot, though a court fight would be inevitable.

wagonmaster
04-21-2010, 7:48 PM
Cooper's got alot of other baggage, it could get ugly, but fun to watch. SSD has so many budget problems whom ever wins is in for a real nightmare.

Bret Daniels
04-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to say that "The Bronze" has it pretty correct on my CCW stance. I believe a person has an absolute right to bear arms based on the 2nd Amendment and will issue based on that right absent cause NOT to give the permit (drug, mental or violent history). "Good cause" exists if you live or work in Sac County simply based on our crime rate and the fact that we laid of hundreds of deputies.

Bret Daniels
04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Most people running for office hire someone to do their web site and keep it up to date. Daniels may not have had enough money to get a first rate site done, not surprising.

Ed, the site is done by a professional and while it may lack alot of bells and whistles, it does give the reader a snapshot of me, the campaign, and a link to my e-mail (and contribution page...thanks!)

Ed_in_Sac
04-22-2010, 7:38 PM
Best of luck, glad you took the time to chime in!

Ed_in_Sac
04-27-2010, 9:47 AM
Am a little bit disappointed that this mornings article in the Sacramento Bee spoke mostly of the other two candidates. They did have a picture of all three but said little about Bret.

thebronze
04-27-2010, 7:10 PM
Am a little bit disappointed that this mornings article in the Sacramento Bee spoke mostly of the other two candidates. They did have a picture of all three but said little about Bret.

As always.

Ed_in_Sac
04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
bump... What no one interested in talking about who to support for Sheriff of Sacto County????????

vf111
04-29-2010, 5:51 PM
Bret Daniels already has my vote.

I know Cooper from the Elk Grove City Council and his tenure has been......interesting. Jones is basically McGinness and all of us here in Sac knows how that went.

Walker
04-29-2010, 8:10 PM
Of the three Bret is leading so far with me. And sadly it all comes down to CCW.

I am sick of having to worry about being robbed when I take my dogs for a walk. Also sick of hearing from others that if I think something is going to happen to call 911 I am just down the street from the Sheriff's station. This does me no good because their response times over the years have been horrid and I don't own a cell phone (yes I live in the stone age).

thebronze
04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty sure (90%) I'll be voting for Daniels.

leitung
04-30-2010, 3:49 AM
Daniels has my vote.. and my money..

Cooper and the other are just like the current one, only issusing to his political cronies..

Ed_in_Sac
04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Sac Bee caught up in the flap between Cooper/Blanas v/s Jones again. Yes, that's news but they should be fair to ALL three candidates. Then again, guess I should not expect more from the Bad News Bee, right?

Bret Daniels
05-02-2010, 1:40 AM
Sac Bee caught up in the flap between Cooper/Blanas v/s Jones again. Yes, that's news but they should be fair to ALL three candidates. Then again, guess I should not expect more from the Bad News Bee, right?

Ed in Sac, the "flap" is not over and I expect that we will see much more regarding my opponents. While it's important for the public to be informed about who they are voting for, it's a shame that the Bee will continue to not seek out the information on the solutions each of us propose but instead report on the "mudslinging" only. Guess that's how they sell their paper.

Once again, today the Bee is publishing a story the excludes me as being a part of the election. If you get a chance, take a moment to tell them how you feel about them ignoring your choice as the next Sheriff of Sacramento County.

Ed_in_Sac
05-02-2010, 7:46 PM
I will, thanks for participating.

Turbinator
05-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to say that "The Bronze" has it pretty correct on my CCW stance. I believe a person has an absolute right to bear arms based on the 2nd Amendment and will issue based on that right absent cause NOT to give the permit (drug, mental or violent history). "Good cause" exists if you live or work in Sac County simply based on our crime rate and the fact that we laid of hundreds of deputies.

Bret, best of luck to you in the election - you have a great stance and I appreciate you sharing your commentary here.

Turby

9mmepiphany
05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Jones is basically McGinness and all of us here in Sac knows how that went
i think a more accurate statement would be that Jones is basically McGinness without John's personality, sense of humor or understanding of how to get things done...but that's just my take on it.

i would love to see Bret win, if for nothing else than to see the Chiefs and Capitains shaking at their desk thinking of how they treated him.

with Jim, what you see is really what you get...he doesn't hide much and he's quite good at working the system. it isn't going to be a pleasant job in the current economic situation, Jim might be the most qualified

i'd really like to see Wendell Phillips run for Sheriff...but then i'm :43:

haveyourmile
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Eek. But I've heard Bret Daniels speak...he is far from intelligent...in fact at times he is utterly incoherent.

Jim Cooper? Chauvinist pig.

9mmepiphany
05-05-2010, 1:15 PM
Eek. But I've heard Bret Daniels speak...he is far from intelligent...in fact at times he is utterly incoherent.
you're not the only one who has observed that

Lone_Gunman
05-06-2010, 11:14 PM

Jim Cooper? Chauvinist pig.

Careful, a slick speaker isn't necessarily a good leader and a good leader is not necessarily a slick speaker. For me it all comes down to what your fundimental life view is. If you are for freedom and the constitution and execute your office from that standpoint you have my vote.

Forestgnome
05-07-2010, 6:42 AM
It's amazing to see a candidate respond in this forum! I'm so tired of writing letteres to candidates, only to receive a canned response or a "read my position", which usually doesn't answer my concerns. Bret pretty much got my vote by responding here.

Bret Daniels
05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
you're not the only one who has observed that

C'mon fellas, tell us where and when and I'll see if I have a recording. Otherwise, man up and just tell us who you support. If nothing, I have a grasp of the issues and can articulate that well. It's ok if you support someone else but don't throw something you know is not true out in the process.

HUTCH 7.62
05-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Booooooooo!!!!!!

markslyon
05-09-2010, 8:17 PM
Cooper is a douche. Just sayin' .

Barkoff
05-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I think it should be standardized across the state. This takes the police chiefs bad day out. .

Yes but it isn't, and as long as is isn't some sheriffs will continue to use that cop out. If he believes in the right what does he care what the rest of the counties in CA do?

weezil_boi
05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Hi Steve,
My name is Lindsay XXXXXX, and I'm working on Jim's campaign. Below is Jim's take on the CCW issue. I hope this helps.
Thank you,
Lindsay

I got the exact same text in my email to him. total boiler plate response.

thebronze
05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Hi Steve,
Thank you,
Lindsay

I got the exact same text in my email to him. total boiler plate response.

She emailed me to ask me to remove her last name from this post (which I did). You're emailing people to say that you work for him and you're shy about having your name in public?

Lame.

Cooper can't even answer questions himself, about his positions. Neither him nor Jones will get my vote.