PDA

View Full Version : What does a COE, Certificate of Eligibility, do for you?

CalGunsNoob
02-24-2006, 9:20 AM
I heard it waves certain waiting periods...but not completely sure...can some breakdown exactly what it does?

thanks

shopkeep
02-24-2006, 9:54 AM
Bill please do chime in. Supposidly if 1213 passes you can use a CoE to get an AW permit too.

stator
02-24-2006, 1:18 PM
For gun store employees, often it keeps them from being terminated. Hows that?

blacklisted
02-24-2006, 1:20 PM
I believe that it is used in combination with a C&R FFL to remove the waiting period on C&R guns purchased from dealers.

stator
02-24-2006, 1:25 PM
Bill please do chime in. Supposidly if 1213 passes you can use a CoE to get an AW permit too.

You must mean AB2131. AB1213 is teacher identification while SB1213 is about truck drivers. AB2131 does not allow anyone to automatically obtain an AW permit if they have a COE. There are other qualifiers that must be met as well.

You can read the bill here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2101-2150/ab_2131_bill_20060221_introduced.html

artherd
02-24-2006, 9:15 PM
It does remove the 1-handgun-in-30day rule, even for non C&R handguns.

That's about all it does.

xenophobe
02-24-2006, 10:39 PM
It does remove the 1-handgun-in-30day rule, even for non C&R handguns.

That's about all it does.

That's what a COE does in conjunction with a C&R license.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-25-2006, 12:50 PM
So, where do I get the application for a COE and what does it cost initially and yearly?

I recently sent in my application for my C&R and would like to get the COE if it's something that would be of benefit.

Does anyone know if they (ATF) charge your credit card if you've been approved for the license? They already charged my card, so I was hoping that I'm just in the waitng game now.

Thanks,

Robert

:confused:

TonyM
02-25-2006, 1:58 PM
Does anyone know if they (ATF) charge your credit card if you've been approved for the license? They already charged my card, so I was hoping that I'm just in the waitng game now.

As I read it, you get charged before they even run the checks on you, like, as soon as they get your envelope they look for CC information or a check. Then the process begins. Pass or Fail, you're still gonna pay.

I'm still waiting (anxiously) too.

hdcd
02-25-2006, 5:49 PM
I've been wondering about this C&R + COE thing too. Has anyone actually used this combo to purchase 2 new guns in 1 month on this board?

I'm thinking you walk into a gun shop and they aren't going to have any idea what your showing them. Can they still refuse to sell you another weapon until your 30 days are up? (I'm thinking of Big5 and their interpretation of 10 days). OR does it change something in the DROS process?

TRP PRO 1911
02-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Here is the form for you guys that want a COE.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf

EOD Guy
02-26-2006, 7:41 AM
I've been wondering about this C&R + COE thing too. Has anyone actually used this combo to purchase 2 new guns in 1 month on this board?

I'm thinking you walk into a gun shop and they aren't going to have any idea what your showing them. Can they still refuse to sell you another weapon until your 30 days are up? (I'm thinking of Big5 and their interpretation of 10 days). OR does it change something in the DROS process?

I have done it twice at two different stores (Reeds in San Jose and Canyon Sports in Martinez). I had to show the guy at Reeds the section of the Penal Code.

All the handguns DROSed without problems.

jdberger
02-26-2006, 11:28 PM
I have done it twice at two different stores (Reeds in San Jose and Canyon Sports in Martinez). I had to show the guy at Reeds the section of the Penal Code.

All the handguns DROSed without problems.

Irvington, too. BigMac pays attention.

hdcd
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Anyone in So. Cal have any experience with COE at any of the local shops?

stealthgoat
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a C&R and a COE.

I found two modern (non-C&R) handguns this week, but I couldn't convince the FFL that the '1 per month' rule is waived with C&R / COE.
I have been searching regs but I also couldn't find reg.
Can someone point me to regs on "1 per month' waiver, so I can print it out?
Thanks!

Mssr. Eleganté
03-04-2006, 2:09 PM
I have a C&R and a COE.

I found two modern (non-C&R) handguns this week, but I couldn't convince the FFL that the '1 per month' rule is waived with C&R / COE.
I have been searching regs but I also couldn't find reg.
Can someone point me to regs on "1 per month' waiver, so I can print it out?
Thanks!

You can try showing him the Public FAQ page at CalDOJ's Firearms Division web site. Check out question #24...

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#23

Or if he wants to see the actual law you can show him Section 12072(a)(9)(B)(ix)...

12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period.

12072(a)(9)(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.

stealthgoat
03-04-2006, 3:06 PM
thanks Amendment II, that should work!

EOD Guy
03-06-2006, 4:44 AM
Irvington, too. BigMac pays attention.

I've bought two C&R handguns from him without any waiting period because of the C&R FFL with COE.

Can'thavenuthingood
03-06-2006, 2:57 PM
Yes, no wait on C&R guns only. I bought 1 C&R then about 2 weeks later I purchased a Blackhawk. Had to wait 10 days.

Shoulda bought the Blackhawk first and then walked out with the C&R a few days later.

Vick

supergimp
03-07-2006, 1:19 PM
I got my C&R to help build my collection of collectible firearms, and so far it's working well (not to mention the savings at Midway and Brownell's) to get long arms shipped directly to me without the hassle/fees of going through my FFL. However, one thing that appealed to me was the ability to pick up a C&R eligible firearm while traveling. Regarding that, can anyone comment on the various waiting period regulations in nearby states?

For example, let's say I'm driving through Arizona on my way home from vacation and I come across a pristine Colt Peacemaker with the name "W. Earp" engraved on the backstrap - from late in his life so it is definitely older than 50 years but post 1899 - and the guy wants 200 bucks for it! (Ok, this is just a hypothetical - so I'm allowed to dream big.)

I'm not sure what Arizona's purchasing requirements on handguns or longguns is (my next visit will be to gunlaws.com) but in general:

1. If a state has a "waiting period," does my C&R do anything to alleviate that (negating the need to return for pickup)?
2. If not, then does a COE help?
3. What about handguns vs. longguns?

It seems great that I can shop out-of-state for C&R firearms, return to CA with them (assuming they meet eligibility requirements), and pay the fees and register myself (in the case of handguns), but if I have to go through a 10-day wait and return for pickup (handguns shipped from out of state must always go through an FFL, correct?) what's the advantage?

Also does anyone have any experience with this in neighboring states in particular?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Mssr. Eleganté
03-07-2006, 9:55 PM
1. Of the few state's that still have waiting periods, most have an exception for transfers between FFL's.

2. Your COE has no effect on out of state purchases. It is only good for purchases from California FFL Dealers.

3. Waiting periods for handgun purchases are more common than for long gun purchases, but again, most states don't have any waiting periods since the NICS came online. And again, your FFL will exempt you from most of the waiting periods that still exist.

I've purchased C&R long guns and handguns from both FFL Dealers and unlicensed individuals in Oregon, Nevada and Arizona, all cash and carry with no waiting periods or NICS check or Forms 4473.

After getting back to California I just registered the handguns by mailing in Form FD4100A (http://www.streamload.com/Amendment_II/FD4100A.pdf) along with $19 per handgun. CalDOJ mailed back a letter saying the handguns had been registered, first time took 3 weeks, second time took three months. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/confused.gif

If you are travelling through Arizona you should check out J&G Sales in Prescott. They have most of the standard C&R milsurp stuff that the big distributors are selling, but also have a large selection of used sporting firearms and are pretty good about knowing which ones are C&R.

supergimp
03-09-2006, 8:32 AM
Thanks, Amendment II, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. And thanks for the Arizona tip. Heading to Las vegas later in the month. Anyplace in particular I should stop?

Steve

Mssr. Eleganté
03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Actually, I've never been able to find a Dealer in Las Vegas that would sell to me. Many Dealers all over the country won't accept a C&R FFL because they are unfamiliar with them. But in Las Vegas, in addition to the normal "What's a C&R FFL" routine, I also got the "You're from California?!? You're not allowed in this store!" routine. This is probably because of the huge number of Californian tourists they have to deal with there.

leelaw
04-05-2006, 7:58 PM
What about a C&R, COE, and having it tied to an FFL (employee)

I've heard it gives an exemption to possession of new high-cap magazines, is there any truth to this?

kantstudien
04-05-2006, 8:27 PM
Only if you have a high-cap mag permit from DOJ, and I am not sure they would give you one for a C&R? :confused:

Guinness
04-05-2006, 8:46 PM
Only if you have a high-cap mag permit from DOJ, and I am not sure they would give you one for a C&R? :confused:

I highly doubt that..

leelaw
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM

What I mean is... I have a C&R, COE, and the COE is being associated with my FFL (I'm an employee) and the FFL has a high-cap mag, AW, and some other licenses. The owner heard somewhere that having the COE associated to the store FFL would allow possession of new high-cap magazines. I know having it associated with the FFL is supposed to give some other kind of benefits when it comes to transportation of firearms (if anyone could clarify that for me, that'd be great)