PDA

View Full Version : OC GOP Fails to Endorse ANY Sheriff Candidate

DVSmith
04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
http://voiceofoc.org/countywide/county_government/article_95b57d7c-4c83-11df-87f5-001cc4c03286.html

Central Committee Tim Whitacre - who supports Bill Hunt for Sheriff - took to the floor arguing successfully that the party should avoid any endorsements.

Of course Whitacre would!! His guy accepted the endorsement of the Sheriff Deputy's Union.

SmokinMr2
04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Spineless...

At least they didn't endorse Sandy ;)

OrangeCountyCCW
04-20-2010, 5:09 PM
The victory is that the OC GOP did NOT endorse the Appointed Sheriff.

A "failure" to endorse Deputy Chief Hunter is simply indicative of the fact that a lot of the Central Committee supports Hunter, and a lot supports Hunt!

In such a situation, it is a mistake for either group to try to "ram" through an endorsement. It is better for the organization not to endorse than to have a bloodbath in which an endorsement is crammed down the throat of the delegates resulting in a win by one vote.

Now, an interesting possibility for such organizations is to do a double endorsement. It depends on the bylaws of the organization whether such a move is even possible. However, in another Republican organization on whose board I sit, we are considering just this possibility. Virtually none of our membership supports Hutchens, but we are fairly evenly split between Hunt and Hunter.

BigDogatPlay
04-20-2010, 6:10 PM
Last time I checked, the office of sheriff is non-partisan. Why would a political party be endorsing someone for it?

glbtrottr
04-20-2010, 9:58 PM
http://voiceofoc.org/countywide/county_government/article_95b57d7c-4c83-11df-87f5-001cc4c03286.html

Of course Whitacre would!! His guy accepted the endorsement of the Sheriff Deputy's Union.

just so we're on the same page - THIS DUDE, RIGHT?:

http://orangejuiceblog.com/2009/11/tim-whitacre-led-the-failed-campaign-to-recall-assemblyman-anthony-adams/
http://orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/CIMG0666-832x1024.jpg

SteveH
04-21-2010, 2:21 AM
The good old boys in the OC GOP establishment like Hunter, but i think they are afraid of angering Hunts populist supports. Smart move on their part really.

glbtrottr
04-21-2010, 8:23 AM
Wait - wasn't Whitacre Hunt's campaign manager?
If so, the OC GOP establishment you refer to is really Whitacre.

Interesting...

OrangeCountyCCW
04-21-2010, 9:47 AM
Bill Brough is Hunt's campaign manager, although I'm not sure why that is relevant to a discussion of what the OC GOP Central Committee did.

Doheny
04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
So...the Hunt campaign got what they were looking for, and the other two candidates did not? It appears this bodes well for Hunt.

DVSmith
04-21-2010, 1:07 PM
Yes, Whitacre managed to keep ANY endorsement from happening because he knew the committee couldn't possibly endorse Hunt as Hunt has agreed to accept public employee union money. The only candidate eligible for the endorsement was Hunter.

Whitacre, as you will recall, was on the losing end of the last Sheriff race endorsement and then turned around and filed a lawsuit against the committee. I am sure that some on the committee didn't really feel like defending themselves against another frivolous lawsuit and decided to just let it be.

Nice bullying job by Whitacre.

Sleepy McGee
04-21-2010, 3:00 PM
Does all of this indicate Hunters campaign will fold? He lacks both the county Gop's backing and populist voter backing The interview with Hunter in OC Weakly described him as unenthusiastic. it's like he almost expects to loose to Hunt.

DVSmith
04-21-2010, 4:21 PM
Does all of this indicate Hunters campaign will fold? He lacks both the county Gop's backing and populist voter backing The interview with Hunter in OC Weakly described him as unenthusiastic. it's like he almost expects to loose to Hunt.

No, Walters made his deal and gave an endorsement. That will continue throughout the campaign. What it tells us is that Walters isn't concerned with the CCW issue.

As for Hunter not having popular support, you must have missed the poll that came out this week.

OC Weekly has their opinion and there are several other bloggers that have differing opinions.

Hunter is out fundraising both Hunt and Hutchens, so that doesn't sound to me like he is backing down.

On top of that, candidate filing is already closed. He is on the ballot. There is no folding.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-21-2010, 4:36 PM

GOP backing missing? Yeah, for all three! What part of the OP did you not read?

OrangeCountyCCW
04-21-2010, 5:35 PM
For the reasons I said earlier, let's not make too much of the GOP non-endorsement. It just tells me the Committee is divided between Hunter and Hunt (I doubt there is much Sandy support there).

It is worth noting that only Hunter *sought* the GOP endorsement -- neither Hutchens nor Hunt did. But I don't think that any of them would have received an endorsement had any of them sought one.

OrangeCountyCCW
04-21-2010, 5:38 PM
No, Walters made his deal and gave an endorsement. That will continue throughout the campaign. What it tells us is that Walters isn't concerned with the CCW issue.

Agreed. And since Walters was at one time being courted as a potential challenger to Hutchens by some in the pro-CCW community, we need to remember this. Nothing forced him to endorse Hutchens (many city chiefs are not endorsing anyone). To go out of his way to endorse shows an animosity to CCW that we need to remember.

Same goes for Jack Anderson, who was touted by some in the CCW community as God's gift to the 2010 race -- and then he stands up in the Central Committee and excoriates the pro-CCW citizenry, likening them to "Darth Vader" and comparing Hutchens to "Lady Justice."

Neither Anderson nor Walters is a friend of CCW, and should be remembered as such.

DVSmith
04-21-2010, 8:21 PM
Agreed. And since Walters was at one time being courted as a potential challenger to Hutchens by some in the pro-CCW community, we need to remember this. Nothing forced him to endorse Hutchens (many city chiefs are not endorsing anyone). To go out of his way to endorse shows an animosity to CCW that we need to remember.

Same goes for Jack Anderson, who was touted by some in the CCW community as God's gift to the 2010 race -- and then he stands up in the Central Committee and excoriates the pro-CCW citizenry, likening them to "Darth Vader" and comparing Hutchens to "Lady Justice."

Neither Anderson nor Walters is a friend of CCW, and should be remembered as such.

Yep, seems to be no shortage in the Hunt camp for vilifying everyone but Hunt. Hope it works out for you.

OrangeCountyCCW
04-21-2010, 8:31 PM
Yep, seems to be no shortage in the Hunt camp for vilifying everyone but Hunt. Hope it works out for you.

Vilifying? I'm not the one who stood up at a Central Committee meeting and went to town on CCW advocates. That was Jack Anderson. What is your explanation for what he did? Temporary insanity?

Same for Walters. No one made him endorse Sandy Sue... he chose to do that all on his own, which says something about his regard for we CCW holders.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that we in the firearms community should overlook these two individuals' *public* statements and/or actions bearing on CCW rights?

Doheny
04-21-2010, 8:35 PM

As would have Hunter if he woulda have gotten it. Don't forget, he too (Hunter) attended the forum at the Union HQ vying for their endorsement.