PDA

View Full Version : Former NV Resident, Now CA Resident with NV Registered Guns>>>

dj_dub
04-20-2010, 9:37 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm new to this site and tried using the Search Feature but could not find a definite answer after searching for the past 2 hours...any help is much appreciated! ;)

I'm a former Nevada resident and now recently a California resident. I legally bought and registered my 3 handguns and 1 shotgun in Nevada and will be bringing them in the state shortly. What exactly do I need to do to register all my guns legally in California? Forms or Fees? Anything different in the process between my handguns and my shotgun? Any info and references is much appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

SuperSet
04-20-2010, 9:41 AM
You'll have to register the handguns but not the shotgun. These types of questions can be answered using the Calguns Wiki and here's the link for the firearms registration:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

Welcome to the forum.

whitey
04-20-2010, 9:44 AM
Why would you do this. It is usually the other way around

dj_dub
04-20-2010, 9:52 AM
You'll have to register the handguns but not the shotgun. These types of questions can be answered using the Calguns Wiki and here's the link for the firearms registration:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

Welcome to the forum.

That's perfect! Thanks for your help!

So I don't have to do anything with the shotgun...I can bring it in legally with no forms or fees?

Why would you do this. It is usually the other way around

haha true...but I moved to CA for a better paying job and my wife's family as well as mine is out here. ;)

Sinixstar
04-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Long guns do not have to be reported or registered (yet). Just do yourself a favor and go over the "assault weapons" checklist. make sure you don't have anything that could be confused for an evil black rifle.

As far as the handguns - it's a pretty annoying but generally painless process. You just fill out the form, send it in with a check, and a few weeks later you get a letter in the mail stating that your personal import declaration has been processed. Stash this letter away in a safe place. It is proof that you registered your handguns.

Also just remember the hi-cap magazine ban. You cannot import those, at all, under any circumstances. Any handguns with a mag of more then 10 rounds - do yourself a favor and give the mag to a friend in NV, or lose it in a tragic boating accident.

Glock22Fan
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Also just remember the hi-cap magazine ban. You cannot import those, at all, under any circumstances.

Not true. Before you enter California, you may dismantle the magazines and import them as parts. They must either remain as parts until you leave California, or you may sell them as parts for rebuilding existing Californian large capacity magazines. Should you (unlikely) own any large capacity magazines that at any time prior to 2000 you had posession of in California, you may reimport these and, when necessary, repair these using the parts you imported.

We do not recommend illegal activity, but the simple truth is that posession of large magazines is itself is not illegal and the laws that do exist concerning import are hard to enforce, especially as there is a three year statute of limitation.

Sinixstar
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
... the laws that do exist concerning import are hard to enforce, especially as there is a three year statute of limitation.

Maybe so - but do you really want to put yourself in a position to find out exactly how hard they are to enforce over a couple of mags? You'd have to pick up 10rnd'ers anyways. Give 'em to a friend for safe keeping, save the stress.

Glock22Fan
04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe so - but do you really want to put yourself in a position to find out exactly how hard they are to enforce over a couple of mags? You'd have to pick up 10rnd'ers anyways. Give 'em to a friend for safe keeping, save the stress.

Import them as parts and there will be, can be, no question of legal hassles. There is, IIRC, a DoJ letter to that effect on this website.

And we don't know that he only has a couple of mags. He has three handguns and might easily own six mags or more for each.

Giving them to a friend for safekeeping is certainly better than throwing them in a lake, but importing them as parts (and keeping them that way) is completely safe. And, I understand, the CGF would back you if that lead to problems.

dj_dub
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice, it's much appreciated! I will fill out the forms today and send them in...

In anticipation of my move, I've bought 10 rounders for all of my handguns rencently and will "lose the hi-caps in a tragic boating accident." haha :)

dj_dub
04-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I actually have 8 hi-caps...I'm going to sell them cheap to an out of state family member.

Sinixstar
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Import them as parts and there will be, can be, no question of legal hassles. There is, IIRC, a DoJ letter to that effect on this website.

And we don't know that he only has a couple of mags. He has three handguns and might easily own six mags or more for each.

Giving them to a friend for safekeeping is certainly better than throwing them in a lake, but importing them as parts (and keeping them that way) is completely safe. And, I understand, the CGF would back you if that lead to problems.

Right, cause we all know when it comes to police, DoJ, and guns - there's never ANY confusion as to the definition of the law. Everybody is 100% on the same page and in full compliance with the strictest letter of the law. ;)