PDA

View Full Version : New tack with DOJ?

Mattimus
02-24-2006, 8:17 AM
Everybody always inquires to the DOJ from the point of view of the gunowner, ie "I want to buy this lower with the intent of turning it into an AW when appropriate, is it legal?". Invariably, the DOJ responds with veiled threats and ominous declarations, without revealing their true course of action. This may be that they're planning some wrinkle they don't want to give us advanced knowledge of, or it may be that they haven't actually figured out how they're going to screw us yet. Either way, it leaves us playing Chicken Little, thinking that the sky is falling every Friday.

What I'm wondering is, has anybody composed a letter as if they were a concerned soccer mom? Maybe, "I heard a rumor that evil guns are being bought legally. I thought that there was a ban on these guns. I'm afraid for my little Timmy. Please tell me you're doing something about it." I'm thinking they may be more forthcoming if they think they're talking to an ally.

I've been reading these forums for a while, and I haven't seen this mentioned. If it has been discussed, or if you don't think it has any merit, I'll retreat back into my hole.

Matt

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2006, 8:43 AM
The problem with that Matt is that you just mentioned it on here and this board is the best place for DOJ information.

mblat
02-24-2006, 8:50 AM
The problem with that Matt is that you just mentioned it on here and this board is the best place for DOJ information.

I don't see a problem. Somebody must have wife/girlfriend with different last name/postal adress and couple kids.....
And if DOJ doesn't respond to such letter in promptly she can complain all the way to state senate about it!

TheMan
02-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't see a problem. Somebody must have wife/girlfriend with different last name/postal adress and couple kids.....
And if DOJ doesn't respond to such letter in promptly she can complain all the way to state senate about it!

Well, it usually takes the DOJ a few days to investigate whether or not the letter writer has the last name or address of someone from this board, and then to also check whether or not they actually have kids. They usually follow this up with a housecall so they can check for the secret handshake, because the DOJ doesn't want to go spreading the truth about its secret agenda to someone who isn't an ally.

Check the tin foil, I think the hat may be on too tight :D

Glasshat
02-24-2006, 10:07 AM
What makes you think the DOJ wouldn't BS a soccer mom? They'll just send her a copy of that memo that creates the 4th category of AW's.
"Here you go little lady, your kid's safe, now run along". You know as well as I do that they don't care if her kid is safe. They only care if their job is safe.

shopkeep
02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I believe the DOJ memo tells us everything that they're likely to disclose to anyone who writes them requesting information on this topic.

xenophobe
02-24-2006, 10:24 AM
The DOJ is more likely to BS a soccer mom than a gun owner with a valid question, at least I would think. When you're asking for legal clarification on specific issues, or DOJ's position on those specific issues, they'll tell you what is legal and what is not according to their interpretation. They'll also disclaim that they don't have specific control over the DA's in the counties and not to rely on their position completely.

A soccer mom with a scary fright complex will get the dumbed down "We feel your pain" letter with about as little fact as necessary.

Mattimus
02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
No tin hat necessary. Everybody always complains about getting the same cut and paste answer from DOJ. I was trying to come up with a way to get more info. I guess it's my bad for trying to think outside the box.

shopkeep
02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
The DOJ is more likely to BS a soccer mom than a gun owner with a valid question, at least I would think. When you're asking for legal clarification on specific issues, or DOJ's position on those specific issues, they'll tell you what is legal and what is not according to their interpretation. They'll also disclaim that they don't have specific control over the DA's in the counties and not to rely on their position completely.

A soccor mom with a scary fright complex will get the dumbed down "We feel your pain" letter with about as little fact as necessary.

I agree 100%! Just look at how much case law and PC sections we had to cite to get them to give us the vague answers they did give out. These guys are not forthcomming with information regarding the AW ban... or as we've found out lack of a ban LOL :D!

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, you are doing fine thinking out of the box. I just don't think it will do much. You can try it if you want.

dwtt
02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
What I'm wondering is, has anybody composed a letter as if they were a concerned soccer mom? Maybe, "I heard a rumor that evil guns are being bought legally. I thought that there was a ban on these guns. I'm afraid for my little Timmy. Please tell me you're doing something about it." I'm thinking they may be more forthcoming if they think they're talking to an ally.
This is a horrible idea. The DOJ will hold up these letters from "concerned soccer moms" whose little Timmy might be killed some day by these evil assault rifles, and use them to justify even more draconian attacks on gun owners. Even worse, they will hold up these letters in front of the state legislature and claim a new, more restrictive law is needed to "control" these evil rifles. Please think things through before doing anything like this.

bwiese
02-24-2006, 11:47 AM
This is a horrible idea. The DOJ will hold up these letters from "concerned soccer moms" whose little Timmy might be killed some day by these evil assault rifles, and use them to justify even more draconian attacks on gun owners. Even worse, they will hold up these letters in front of the state legislature and claim a new, more restrictive law is needed to "control" these evil rifles. Please think things through before doing anything like this.

New legislation is only a matter of time.

This is our only chance to get these forced into reg mode.

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I think any letters sent to the DOJ are a waste. I don't think they woudl hurt us or help us. The DOJ does not make the laws so they won't do anything about it. If you wanted to use this route, you would need to send it to your representatives and to the governator. They would then put pressure on the DOJ to take action. Me personally, I just want the DOJ to add the first batch of lowers to the list so I can put all of this lower business behind me. It was a wild and exciting ride, but I am ready to be done with this until this entire thing is unquestionably legal in every manner once again.

1911_sfca
02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I think any letters sent to the DOJ are a waste.

Maybe I should send a letter to my state assembly member, Mark Leno, chair of the public safety committee, or senate member Carol Migden. I bet they could help me find out why there are thousands of EBRs pouring into california, since the AG hasn't updated the AW list in 5+ years.....

6172crew
02-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Wes, I think guys should be writting the doj and asking how to fix a mag on a AR15 lower, make them admit the nut/bolt is ok.

tell them your ready to build your rifle and you just need to make sure the kit is good to go.

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I have a feeling that they won't be sending back fixed mag letters anytime soon and if they do, they are not going to say they think the Sporting Conversion kit is ok, they are going to say you have to pin or epoxy it too. Of course their regulations say nothing about this, but they don't care.

blacklisted
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I have a feeling that they won't be sending back fixed mag letters anytime soon and if they do, they are not going to say they think the Sporting Conversion kit is ok, they are going to say you have to pin or epoxy it too. Of course their regulations say nothing about this, but they don't care.

I have a feeling they will ask for an example in order to test it and determine if it's fixed or not.

1911_Mitch
02-24-2006, 1:27 PM
I have a feeling they will ask for an example in order to test it and determine if it's fixed or not.

AND then they will say they have to keep the submitted sample as evidence.

blacklisted
02-24-2006, 1:29 PM
AND then they will say they have to keep the submitted sample as evidence.

Exactly! :mad:

Glasshat
02-24-2006, 2:00 PM
I think it’s a good idea to send letters to bureaucrats and legislators, only because it shows them we’re out here and we’re watching them.

I watch congressional hearings on cspan from time to time and I’ve never heard anyone say, “I revised my position on the matter before this proceeding because I received letters”.

Keep sending those letters and keep thinking outside the box.

leelaw
02-24-2006, 3:32 PM
Gah, you shouldn't be sending in letter stating an intention to turn the rifles into AWs, once listed/registered. That is bad ju-ju. All the receivers being bought now should be bought with the intent to build up FAB-10/Vulcan clones ONLY, and if somehow something comes about at a later time to change the legality of building it in a different configuration, all the better, but it should not be expected.

Paradiddle
02-24-2006, 3:56 PM
Soccer moms are hot. Pick another demographic to slam - how about "church going prudes" or "fatties in moo moos" or something like that.

mblat
02-24-2006, 3:59 PM

1. DOJ doesn't need any letters to start an atack. See memo they posted on web site
2. If they want letter they sure can get coouple thousands of them withing days. Just let "I hate guns" crown to know what's going on.
3. DOJ emploees also have wifes and girlfriends with kids. So they can write letter to themself.

EDIT:

Well, it usually takes the DOJ a few days to investigate whether or not the letter writer has the last name or address of someone from this board, and then to also check whether or not they actually have kids. They usually follow this up with a housecall so they can check for the secret handshake, because the DOJ doesn't want to go spreading the truth about its secret agenda to someone who isn't an ally.

Check the tin foil, I think the hat may be on too tight

And it takes about 2 minutes to run name aganst Gun Registry to see if person DROSed something in the last 3 month. If he did it is probably better than 50% that it was a lower. As far as kids.... If you give me you last name and address I can figure if you have kids and how old are they in couple hours...

DrMUR
02-24-2006, 4:59 PM
Soccer moms are hot. Pick another demographic to slam - how about "church going prudes" or "fatties in moo moos" or something like that.
Looks have nothing to do with it. They're simply part of a zealous demographic driven by ignorance. They also seem to be the most abundant and obnoxious of all, so I think this is why one might single them out.

TheMan
02-24-2006, 8:31 PM

Check the tin foil, I think the hat may be on too tight

And it takes about 2 minutes to run name aganst Gun Registry to see if person DROSed something in the last 3 month. If he did it is probably better than 50% that it was a lower. As far as kids.... If you give me you last name and address I can figure if you have kids and how old are they in couple hours...

No "may" about it, the tin foil is DEFINITELY on too tight, if you think the DOJ would care enough to cross reference a letter from a "concerned soccer mom" against the list of recent DROS, and then do a lookup to verify you have kids. You forgot to mention the part where the DOJ then cross references your name and address against local vet records, so they can figure out whether or not you own a dog that they can shoot when they raid you for impersonating a soccer mom to steal state secrets.:eek:

blakpuc
02-25-2006, 9:36 AM
You forgot to mention the part where the DOJ then cross references your name and address against local vet records, so they can figure out whether or not you own a dog that they can shoot when they raid you for impersonating a soccer mom to steal state secrets.:eek:
lol :D
10 character?