PDA

View Full Version : "No More than 10 rounds" in Handgun ban, when was that put in place?

Jicko
02-24-2006, 6:57 AM
In CA, when was the "No More than 10 rounds" in Handgun magazines ban, put in place?

ocabj
02-24-2006, 6:59 AM
In CA, when was the "No More than 10 rounds" in Handgun magazines ban, put in place?

The 10 round maximum magazine capacity limit (no importation, no transfer) was put into place 01/01/2000. It is for all magazines, pistol or rifle.

Jicko
02-24-2006, 8:14 AM
The 10 round maximum magazine capacity limit (no importation, no transfer) was put into place 01/01/2000. It is for all magazines, pistol or rifle.

What's the ban in 1994 then? I vaguely remembered seeing something regarding a 94 hi-cap ban somewhere...... is that a federal ban?

ocabj
02-24-2006, 8:23 AM
What's the ban in 1994 then? I vaguely remembered seeing something regarding a 94 hi-cap ban somewhere...... is that a federal ban?

1994 was the enactment of the Federal AWB which halted the production of assault 'weapons' and magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds. Of course, this expired in 2004.

floorance
02-24-2006, 9:20 AM
On a side note, would that mean any AR Mags greater then 10 rounds made/produced after 1994 can't (and shouldn't) be legally owned or used in CA?? this assuming that the AR do get listed.

bwiese
02-24-2006, 9:37 AM
On a side note, would that mean any AR Mags greater then 10 rounds made/produced after 1994 can't (and shouldn't) be legally owned or used in CA?? this assuming that the AR do get listed.

To not violate CA law - requiring them to be in state by 12/31/99 - there would be the implied violation of Federal law since that didn't sunset til 2004.
It could add a bad smell.

However, repairing mags is legal and there are undoubtedly old mags that have replacement mag tubes marked after 9/94 but with old parts.

shopkeep
02-24-2006, 9:53 AM

Rather than sit around with rusty springs and vintage mags, some of us have opted to repair our mags or update them with newer parts. Because it is lawful to repair/update a mag (provided the capacity stays the same i.e. don't turn a 20 round into a 30) it is difficult to tell what is and isn't legal anymore.

ocabj
02-24-2006, 10:04 AM

This is correct. All of the > 10 round magazines made between 1994 and 2004 should have been marked LEO or military only. Those made after 2004 will not.

All of my 20 and 30 round AR magazines are USGI (Colt, Adventure Line, Cooper, and Okay).

Jicko
02-24-2006, 11:51 PM
I am NOT talking about AR mag.....

I am in particular interested in discussing "handgun" magazines here....

So.... 1994 federal ban.... stopped the production of new "more than 10 rounds" (hi-cap) handgun magazines.... but are the "old stock" LEGAL to be purchase back then? ie. between 1994 and 2000.... in CA.... are "hi-cap" handgun magazines LEGAL to purchase/import/transfer etc??

I am kinda confused between the different dates.... regarding "Federal" and "State" bans....

blkA4alb
02-24-2006, 11:58 PM

So.... 1994 federal ban.... stopped the production of new "more than 10 rounds" (hi-cap) handgun magazines.... but are the "old stock" LEGAL to be purchase back then? ie. between 1994 and 2000.... in CA.... are "hi-cap" handgun magazines LEGAL to purchase/import/transfer etc??

I am kinda confused between the different dates.... regarding "Federal" and "State" bans....
No, even after the federal ban expired in 2004, california still has its own seperate state-wide ban on "high capacity" magazines. unless you owned the magazines before the ban was put into place it is illegal to buy, sell, transfer, give, etc the "high capacity" magazines.

Gnote
02-25-2006, 7:39 AM

My understanding is that the 1994 applied to all magazines that is why you have pistol mags and rifle mags stamped as LEO only. This was on the federal level and so affected states as well. CA being CA decided to pass a state level ban. This is why we (CA citizens) cannot buy anything holding more than 10 rounds even after the sunset of the federal ban.

blkA4alb
02-25-2006, 10:21 AM
My understanding is that the 1994 applied to all magazines that is why you have pistol mags and rifle mags stamped as LEO only. This was on the federal level and so affected states as well. CA being CA decided to pass a state level ban. This is why we (CA citizens) cannot buy anything holding more than 10 rounds even after the sunset of the federal ban.
Gnote isn't that what i said in the post before yours? it seems that people don't read the posts before theirs..:confused:

Jicko
02-25-2006, 2:49 PM
Ok.... now.... let me ask 1 last question for clarification....

What's the date, in CA, that I have to own the "more than 10 rounds" handgun magazines.... to be legal? Is it pre-1994? or Is it pre-2000?

Why I am asking is that... I have a gen1 Glock magazines that I had since a LONG LONG time ago... maybe in the 80s or early 90s.... and the magazine tube is cracked.... I would like to have it repaired.... and I would like to know if I can get magazine tube that have a post-1994 date on it to repair my old mag or not.... and then, even after the repair, i will definitely keep my cracked tube as a prove that i have it way before....

By the way, where can I find the "exact" legal wordings of the 1994 federal "more than 10 rounds handgun mag" ban?

Gnote
02-25-2006, 4:21 PM
Gnote isn't that what i said in the post before yours? it seems that people don't read the posts before theirs..:confused:

Sorry blkA4alb. I do try to read everything first before posting. When I first read your post I thought you meant no one could buy after the CA ban of 2000 so wanted to clarify. I read it again and now see you meant the 1994 fed ban. My bad. Sorry.

Gnote
02-25-2006, 4:25 PM
JickoRicko, let me do a google search and get back to you if i find anything on the date. Regarding the mag tube though, you can replace with a newer one even if it does say LEO on it. Keeping the old tube as proof that you are using the new one to repair is a good idea.

California-Quigley
02-25-2006, 4:30 PM
you will not be able to purchase a high capacity magazine.... all gun stores require letterhead from a police agency to purchase them. even though you own a pre-ban mag. you are out of luck.... sorry.

Gnote
02-25-2006, 4:31 PM
By the way, where can I find the "exact" legal wordings of the 1994 federal "more than 10 rounds handgun mag" ban?

Closest thing I can find right now anyway is Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_assault_weapons_ban

ajwells
02-25-2006, 4:43 PM
Does anyone know when the CA hi-cap ban ends? Does it end?

TonyM
02-25-2006, 5:05 PM
Does anyone know when the CA hi-cap ban ends? Does it end?

It does not expire. The only way for it to go away is if the law is repealed and taken off the books (fat chance).

California-Quigley: Replacement parts are completely legal. Just not parts to build a new magazine, or a complete Full Capacity magazine. That's why I've kept all of my NFML Glock tubes that I replaced, since the new Glock magazine tubes are easy to identify when they were made, and it's always best to C.Y.A. on these things. You don't want someone seeing that you have a magazine tube that was obviously manufactured after the ban and getting any ideas. I think of that shoebox size area of my safe as insurance.

centermass
02-25-2006, 8:54 PM
I thought we were going to stop referring to these magazines as high capacity magazines and call them standard capacity magazines in protest. We were going to call the 10 rounders "low capacity" magazines instead.

Jicko
02-26-2006, 11:03 AM
I still would like an answer for this....

What's the date, in CA, that I have to own the "more than 10 rounds" handgun magazines.... to be legal? Is it pre-1994? or Is it pre-2000?

xenophobe
02-26-2006, 11:18 AM

It was answered TWICE. Post #2 and Post #6.

I'll answer it a third time.... If you are a California resident, magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds had to be purchased before Jan 1, 2000.

The Federal law has nothing to do with ownership, and doesn't really affect us here. The Federal AW ban only prohibited the manufacture, or importation of magazines that were produce after 1994. After the ban expired, manufacturers are free to start making them. This means nothing to us in California.

Omega13device
02-26-2006, 11:21 AM

My understanding (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is that it's not illegal to possess the magazines. Only to buy/sell them or import them into the state. You are not required to prove to anyone that you owned them by a certain date.

Jicko
02-26-2006, 11:43 AM
It was answered TWICE. Post #2 and Post #6.

I'll answer it a third time.... If you are a California resident, magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds had to be purchased before Jan 1, 2000.

The Federal law has nothing to do with ownership, and doesn't really affect us here. The Federal AW ban only prohibited the manufacture, or importation of magazines that were produce after 1994. After the ban expired, manufacturers are free to start making them. This means nothing to us in California.

Actually not until your 3rd time answer that now it is clear to me.

Cuz:

1) from post #2, I wasn't sure what's the relationship is the 2000 CA-ban with respect to the 1999 fed-ban; so I asked for clarification.

2) from post #6, it wasn't made clear whether to acquire a pre-94-ban(made before 1994) within the period between 1994 and 2000 are legal or not in CA; so I re-asked my question.

Now, only in your response that you made clear to me the 1994 fed-ban prohibit the "making of" or the "importation of"(importation into the US, I assume... therefore not importation into CA) magazines.

Fair!?

Thanks. Now I am clear.

PS. Therefore w.r.t. to the repairing of my magazine, I think it is better off for me to go hunt for post-2004, non-LEO-marked/dated, magazine tube(hopefully I can replace mine with a FML/DF, fully metal lined drop free, magazine tube, I actually prefer those...)

xenophobe
02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Fair enough....