PDA

View Full Version : A question about Lee Baca

hill billy
04-19-2010, 9:20 PM
The recent thread where it was pointed out that no one has filed to run against Baca for Sheriff got me thinking.

It is an open secret in the LASD that at one time or another (and perhaps on a continuing basis) Lee Baca has treated his wife in a manner inconsistent with his position or any position in any law enforcement agency or consistent with the generally accepted and legal means set forth to even own a gun in CA. It is my understanding from a plethora of sources that anytime there is a domestic incident at Baca's house in San Marino, SMPD calls a Lieutenant and Sergeant out of the Duarte station and they come to San Marino and make the necessary arrangements.

This leaves me with two questions.
1. If this is true, how have they so masterfully kept a lid on it? It is impossible to keep everyone from talking, especially new recruits. Certainly at some point in time someone must have seen this take place that talked to the wrong(or right) person.
2. I know a higher ranking Lieutenant who has confirmed for me what I have heard from a lot of different deputies. If this seems to be so widely known in the dept., why is it covered up?

Just curious.

In my mind, Baca is as crooked as they come. His arrogance in that one video where he laughs as he talks about the average citizen,s ability to get a CCW fries me and you can bet he will be one of the very last holdouts even if all the legal cases fall our way.

RomanDad
04-20-2010, 4:52 AM
The recent thread where it was pointed out that no one has filed to run against Baca for Sheriff got me thinking.

It is an open secret in the LASD that at one time or another (and perhaps on a continuing basis) Lee Baca has treated his wife in a manner inconsistent with his position or any position in any law enforcement agency or consistent with the generally accepted and legal means set forth to even own a gun in CA. It is my understanding from a plethora of sources that anytime there is a domestic incident at Baca's house in San Marino, SMPD calls a Lieutenant and Sergeant out of the Duarte station and they come to San Marino and make the necessary arrangements.

I have heard something to this affect as well.

The answers to your question seem to be: 1. Nobody within the dept. crosses the blue line. and 2. Nobody in the media will challange him because they like him and his policies.

Sinixstar
04-20-2010, 4:59 AM
What is there to prove? There was no incident. If there was - there would be reports filed about it. This is flat out :TFH:

You're just trying to smear an honest man trying to stand up on behalf of the citizens for your own personal/political gain. You sir should be ashamed. I bet you're one of those crazy gun owners aren't you? yea i thought so. I bet you're a terrorist too.

;)

crin63
04-20-2010, 6:28 AM
I have a friend on the inside who told me of the issue. I'm told that Baca carries a plastic gun for appearance, because of the domestic violence issue he cannot legally carry any longer. He must have some reach and power to be able to keep a lid on this publicly if its all true.

hill billy
04-20-2010, 6:31 AM

The answers to your question seem to be: 1. Nobody within the dept. crosses the blue line. and 2. Nobody in the media will challange him because they like him and his policies.

There has to be a chink in the armor somewhere that can be used to bring this to light.

HowardW56
04-20-2010, 6:32 AM

I've heard the same thing....

Josey Wales
04-20-2010, 6:38 AM
IF he was ever charged with DV, there has to be arecord of it with the courts. These are public records and can be requested by any citizen. Not sure if they are obtainable online. I'm sure someone in his home town can inquire.

hill billy
04-20-2010, 6:41 AM
IF he was ever charged with DV, there has to be arecord of it with the courts. These are public records and can be requested by any citizen. Not sure if they are obtainable online. I'm sure someone in his home town can inquire.

This is the issue. If the stories are correct, he's never been charged with anything. I have heard a few stories from a long time deputy friend of mine of a few very senior people who are this same way and they are heavily protected. Those days are past, the police departments are not like they used to be . Baca is dirty, IMO, and needs to be thrown out on his ear, like Hutchens.

socalblue
04-20-2010, 1:57 PM
There is a DV case in I think Riverside (His exact name) that is sealed tighter than a atomic waste drum. It would take a court order to unseal to verify if it is in fact our intrepid Sheriff.

In any case, he needs to go. Finding someone with the $$ that can challenge him without great personal/political risk is a different story.

Guardian
12-22-2011, 9:54 PM
Recently in casual conversation with a longtime friend of mine ( a respected retired Los Angeles County judge that I had the distinct honor and pleasure assigned as his court bailiff for three years), told me the very same story about Sheriff Lee Baca. Moreover, he further indicated that this particular story had also been circulating amongst his old court-bench cronies (judges). However, he was perplexed and wondered how such a story was never picked-up and reported by the local news media.

Anyway, this got me very inquisitive. As such, I went on the Internet in which to find any other information I could about this story. In my on-line search, I came across “Calgun.net”, and read all the intriguing input here.

First for those seriously wanting to substantiate and pursue this particular burning rumored issue, could contact San Marino Police Department (SMPD). If any police incident/arrest reports on criminal domestic violence abuse exist on Sheriff Leroy David "Lee" Baca concerning his wife, Carol (Chiang) Baca, at either their San Marino (CA) residence or elsewhere within the city, the SMPD records section should have such document-records available for public inquiry. ( see SMPD website: http://www.cityofsanmarino.org/smpd/smpd.chief.htm ).

Secondly, if anyone does verify this alleged account(s), for the rest of us inquiring souls here, please share your findings on this thread. Moreover in a possible “Code-of-Blue” silence, I am wondering too, in some way maybe, if SMPD’s Chief-of-Police was inappropriately involved in a subtle cover-up to help protect Sheriff Lee Baca’s (his friend ???) public reputation. H-m-m-m …

Shotgun Man
12-22-2011, 9:58 PM
I've heard that he is actually a vampire.

Bill Carson
12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
I believe it is Richard Gere gerbil story. Urban Legend.

CnCFunFactory
01-06-2014, 11:52 PM
It only took a "few" years and a couple federal indictments against his officers but it appears Mr. Baca will be going bye bye sooner than later. Of course he's retiring, LOL.

hellayella
01-06-2014, 11:59 PM
:43:There has to be a chink in the armor somewhere that can be used to bring this to light.

yeah his wife, duh.....

Excelsior
01-07-2014, 12:06 AM

Naw. LA is a big, competitive place. If a journalist had proof, they would have burned Leroy on this "issue" in a matter of minutes.

Excelsior
01-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Very difficult to get elected sheriff in a place like LA without plenty of name recognition. Sherman Block ran/won time after time. Leroy challenged him during his last election and he would have steamrolled Leroy had he not slipped, bumped his head and took an early dirt nap.

Bill Carson
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I believe it is Richard Gere gerbil story. Urban Legend.I must have been crazy when I wrote this a couple of years ago. The rumor is that instead of a DV case he opted for a 5150 and lost his gun privilege. He has a rubber gun that he keeps in the trunk of his car and wears it for look only.

Ron-Solo
01-08-2014, 12:01 AM
I have a friend on the inside who told me of the issue. I'm told that Baca carries a plastic gun for appearance, because of the domestic violence issue he cannot legally carry any longer. He must have some reach and power to be able to keep a lid on this publicly if its all true.

I must have been crazy when I wrote this a couple of years ago. The rumor is that instead of a DV case he opted for a 5150 and lost his gun privilege. He has a rubber gun that he keeps in the trunk of his car and wears it for look only.

Nope, it's a real gun, and I've personally been on the range when he was shooting. He's a good shot.

There were DV incidents but charges were never filed. No conviction, no prohibition.

That said, it doesn't mean he isn't a POS. he just has good lawyers and legal support. I'm glad to see him go. Maybe the Department I loved and bled for can get back on track again.
There was no 5150 either. He voluntarily sought counseling for marriage issues, which is not a prohibiting matter. No 5150, no prohibition.

jarhead714
01-08-2014, 4:51 AM
In all honesty, based solely on his posts and without ever so much as seen or met him, I would vote Ron-Solo for the next Sherriff. I feel like I know him more than anyone who may actually run. Easily the most forthcoming among Calguns LEO's.

Anchors
01-08-2014, 1:33 PM
Nope, it's a real gun, and I've personally been on the range when he was shooting. He's a good shot.

There were DV incidents but charges were never filed. No conviction, no prohibition.

That said, it doesn't mean he isn't a POS. he just has good lawyers and legal support. I'm glad to see him go. Maybe the Department I loved and bled for can get back on track again.
There was no 5150 either. He voluntarily sought counseling for marriage issues, which is not a prohibiting matter. No 5150, no prohibition.

I believe Ron-Solo over anyone else.

In all honesty, based solely on his posts and without ever so much as seen or met him, I would vote Ron-Solo for the next Sherriff. I feel like I know him more than anyone who may actually run. Easily the most forthcoming among Calguns LEO's.

Agreed.

infamous1979
01-08-2014, 1:37 PM
He will pistol whip you with his rubber gun....shame on you!

CCWFacts
01-08-2014, 1:54 PM
I believe Ron-Solo over anyone else.

Same here. I also anticipate that, now that he's out of power, more people may come forward with what they know.

sarabellum
01-08-2014, 5:42 PM

This leaves me with two questions.
1. If this is true, how have they so masterfully kept a lid on it? It is impossible to keep everyone from talking, especially new recruits. Certainly at some point in time someone must have seen this take place that talked to the wrong(or right) person.
2. I know a higher ranking Lieutenant who has confirmed for me what I have heard from a lot of different deputies. If this seems to be so widely known in the dept., why is it covered up?

Just curious.

In my mind, Baca is as crooked as they come. His arrogance in that one video where he laughs as he talks about the average citizen,s ability to get a CCW fries me and you can bet he will be one of the very last holdouts even if all the legal cases fall our way.

Lee Baca retired on Monday, January 6, 2014.

Excelsior
01-08-2014, 6:28 PM

One has to wonder who makes such stuff up?

Doheny
01-08-2014, 6:44 PM
Lee Baca retired on Monday, January 6, 2014.

His retirement announcement at lasdblog.org says he'll retire at the end of the month.

arsilva32
01-08-2014, 11:09 PM

yup this^^^ i think Ron-Solo has it right.

ja308
01-09-2014, 3:58 PM
This is the issue. If the stories are correct, he's never been charged with anything. I have heard a few stories from a long time deputy friend of mine of a few very senior people who are this same way and they are heavily protected. Those days are past, the police departments are not like they used to be . Baca is dirty, IMO, and needs to be thrown out on his ear, like Hutchens.

Last time I looked, the rabidly anti gun appointed Hutchens is a darling of govt TV ! PBS had her on frequently!
Is she out as Orange County Sherriff ?

As for the democrats being investigated, we seen this play before . Democrat = above the law ! Except in rare circumstances .