PDA

View Full Version : Additional document

todd2968
04-19-2010, 8:26 PM
I am Active duty US Navy and have purchased many weapons in the past, but lately I've been told by some FFL's that I need additional documentation because I reside off the Navy base.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2001-5.html

Held further, a purchaser who is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, and may satisfy the identification document requirement by presenting his or her military identification card along with official orders showing that his or her permanent duty station is located within the State where the licensed premises are located.

It might be a California thing not an ATF thing, but I have yet to justify it after reading countless CA penal codes.

There are many smart Calguns brethren out there that might be able to quote the exact penal code or requirement; Please point me in the right direction.

I have also sent an email to the CA DOJ website to see what they say.

Thank you for your time and response.

socalblue
04-20-2010, 12:44 AM
That has been the law for a very long time (part of the original GCA if I remember correctly).

Active duty military may purchase a firearm in their state of residence with valid state ID -OR- in his/her PDS station with valid military ID & copy of orders. All other local, state & federal laws must be followed.

In some cases one could purchase firearms in multiple states with the proper state ID + military ID & orders (As ref'd in the ATF regulations).

Manic Moran
04-20-2010, 7:35 AM
The additional documentation will be your PCS orders assigning you long-term to the Navy base in California.

NTM

todd2968
04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
sorry i wasn't specific.
Last duty station and Discount gun mart required (for pistol)
Mil ID
Copy of PCS orders to San Diego

Elcajon gun exchange and Turners required a letter head from my command stating my residence (statement of service) Note from my mommy

Fyathyrio
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
for me it's been Mil ID, orders, and a couple util bills to show I actually live in the state. Maybe just cooincidence, but three different FFLs asked for same docs.