PDA

View Full Version : SKS bolt and reciever issue

Robidouxs
04-19-2010, 8:05 PM
I was reading online that it is recommended that a buffer be installed to mitigate damage caused by the bolt contacting the receiver on the SKS. Is this part a worthwhile investment in the long run or are the claims just fake?

PS: I plan to keep the SKS in original condition, this part is only meant to decrease potential damage, if it is true.

JAGGUY
04-19-2010, 8:09 PM
Buffer in an SKS is a waste of $. They will last forever without one.

bigthaiboy
04-19-2010, 8:49 PM
I was reading online that it is recommended that a buffer be installed to mitigate damage caused by the bolt contacting the receiver on the SKS. Is this part a worthwhile investment in the long run or are the claims just fake?

The only people who make these claims are people who produce and sell buffers. I tried them once, they just got chewed up by the spring after a few dozen rounds. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

gunace89
04-19-2010, 8:55 PM
Just keep it as it is, spend the money on another accessory if you want

Interloper
04-19-2010, 9:09 PM
It's a solution to a non existent problem.

545x39varminter
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I was curious as well, and some of the brass bulgarian ammo out now appears a bit hot so I tried one on my russian SKS to see what it would do. I did notice that recoil impules from the shoulder felt smoother, and I think it sounds quieter (no bolt clank) but that could be in my head. I don't think the buffer is needed in a quality piece, but maybe a poorly heat treated chinese SKS could benefit from it. I doubt one would last more than 500 rounds before getting pretty chewed up, I put 50 rounds on mine and it already shows wear.

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Don't buy one.

mls343
04-20-2010, 3:56 AM
+ 1. My first SKS was a Cambidian bring back from my Dad back in the early '70's. Shot hundreds of rounds since without a hitch.

If it ain't broke...

Nothing like having a fix for a problem you didn't even know you had.

Robidouxs
04-20-2010, 6:22 AM
Thank you.