PDA

View Full Version : Mosin and Enfield

Ricky-Ray
04-19-2010, 3:32 PM
A buddy of mine make's me an offer on a Mosin and Lee Enfield where I basically just can't pass up. So we did the PPT and I have about 8 more day's to go.

In the meantime where's a good place to order ammo for these two rifles? Please don't tell me to reload my own as I don't own any reloading equipment at the moment nor do I have the space for it.

Thanks for your help.

Rem222
04-19-2010, 3:36 PM
This is what I shoot in my Mosin....

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/100rds-762x54r-silver-bear-203gr-sp-ammo/cName/762x54r-soft-point-ammo

Rekrab
04-19-2010, 3:41 PM
For the Mosin, shoot whatever is cheapest. If you need something non-magnetic, there are a couple of surplus options. I have Prvi Partizan surplus rounds that are non magnetic as well as something called Olympic.

AngryPossum
04-19-2010, 4:04 PM
.303s going to be expensive, but the 7.62x54r is still reasonable. Cheaper than dirt has it, J & G, Ammoman, etc. Shop around though, shipping is what kills you $$$$$.

Lurch762
04-19-2010, 4:27 PM
Pretty much all of the good surplus .303 is gone. You may run across some POF .303 but it's known for click-bang. For range safe surplus 7.62x54r, the Yugo heavy ball is really nice.

Pthfndr
04-19-2010, 7:27 PM
If the rifles belonged to your buddy you could have done a cash and carry deal if both are 50 years old and save yourself the transfer fee and 10 day wait.

bigthaiboy
04-19-2010, 7:36 PM
If the rifles belonged to your buddy you could have done a cash and carry deal if both are 50 years old and save yourself the transfer fee and 10 day wait.

+1. What I was going to say.

Both are C&R (50+ years old), you could have paid for them and taken them home that day, without involving FFL fees and no waiting period.

bigstick61
04-19-2010, 7:56 PM
Get surplus ammo for the Mosin-Nagant. It is the cheapest to shoot. The Sportsman's Guide tends to have really good prices, but more importantly, they base shipping on unit price not unit weight. AIM Surplus sometimes has better prices, but you lose it all and then some on shipping. If you have one of the short rifles stick with light ball.

For the Lee-Enfield, if you get a chance to buy surplus at a decent price, jump on it. Otherwise, Prvi Partizan tends to have decent prices (at AIM it's just under $13 a box; I've seen it for as low as $10 on occasion at some places when purchased in quantity). Prvi tries to match the military load, which is nice.

Fot
04-19-2010, 8:04 PM
I just picked up an Enfield and a Mosin this weekend.. Ammonution to go ha dthe best deal on ammo for both 303 for $13 for 20 and had surplus ammo in 100 round packs for $20

Ricky-Ray
04-19-2010, 8:21 PM
The rifles were DROS'd under his name so we had to do a PPT. In total I actually got 4 C&R rifles from him and the PPT transfer fee was the most expensive part so I think I got a great deal even though I had to do the PPT.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2010, 8:33 PM
The rifles were DROS'd under his name so we had to do a PPT. In total I actually got 4 C&R rifles from him and the PPT transfer fee was the most expensive part so I think I got a great deal even though I had to do the PPT.

It's good that you were able to spread the DROS fee over a couple of rifles to lessen the pain. However, you didn't have to DROS them or do a PPT at a dealer. Pthfndr and bigthaiboy speak the truth. It doesn't matter if the rifles had been DROS'd to him in the past. Long guns are not registered in California. The DROS for long guns doesn't even include the type, make, model or serial number of the firearm. Even if he had sent in a voluntary registration to CalDOJ and registered the guns in his name he could still have transfered them to you without going through an FFL. California law exempts 50+ year old C&R long guns from having to go through a PPT at a dealer.

Ricky-Ray
04-19-2010, 8:56 PM
That's what my friend told me... we had to do a PPT. Oh well, too late now. I guess I will know for the future.

waiting the 8 more day's is not going to kill me this time. Don't have ammo for them yet and I won't be able to head to the range for at least a few weeks anyway. LOL

bigstick61
04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
I just picked up an Enfield and a Mosin this weekend.. Ammonution to go ha dthe best deal on ammo for both 303 for $13 for 20 and had surplus ammo in 100 round packs for $20

Was this recently? I don't see it on their site or on the similarly named ammunition2go.com.

Fot
04-20-2010, 9:27 PM
Was this recently? I don't see it on their site or on the similarly named ammunition2go.com.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/762x54r-fmj-ammo

Looks like they are out of 303 though,,

pullnshoot25
04-20-2010, 9:49 PM
A buddy of mine make's me an offer on a Mosin and Lee Enfield where I basically just can't pass up. So we did the PPT and I have about 8 more day's to go.

In the meantime where's a good place to order ammo for these two rifles? Please don't tell me to reload my own as I don't own any reloading equipment at the moment nor do I have the space for it.

Thanks for your help.

Why are you PPTing a Mosin and an Enfield? That is silly.

Fate
04-21-2010, 9:23 AM
FFL laughing all the way to the bank. You didn't need to PPT/DROS those (is the horse dead yet?) ;)

bigstick61
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
What kind of Mosin did you get? The standard 91/30 is probably the most affordable and available model out there right now, but there is a wide variety of different makes and models just waiting to be discovered by anyone who is getting into collecting these fascinating, historical, and very wallet friendly weapons.

One thing to consider is that when it comes to ammo Mosins are rather individualistic, and can exhibit a marked preference for certain types of ammo. So some will shoot better with light ball and some with heavy, some to best on Russian ammo, some on Yugo, some on Polish, some on Hungarian, etc.

Right now the Polish light ball, Bulgarian light and heavy ball, and late production Russian light ball seem to be the most available and affordable ammo out there. The Czechs, Hungarians, Albanians, Chinese and Yugoslavians all made ammo in this caliber also and it will show up for sale sometimes, and some of this also gets good reviews.

I would recommend picking up a case or so of each type of ammo you can find. This way you can determine which type your rifle likes best. Then start acquiring more Mosins to see which ammo they prefer. Then get more ammo to feed the Mosins and more Mosins to feed it to. You can never have too many Mosins or too much ammo for them.

I actually just looked up the ballistic data on 7.62X54R.net, since they do the testing with different types of ammo in different models of Mosin-Nagant.

knucklehead0202
04-21-2010, 12:51 PM
oh leave him alone about the PPT already, lesson learned. anyhow, 7.62x54 is easy to find anywhere, like they said, buy whatever's cheap, they may prefer one thing over another, but if your mosin is decent, it'll shoot pretty much any of the surplus pretty well. as far as the enfield goes, Sportsman's Guide has some good deals. http://sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/rifle-ammo-303.aspx?c=96&s=917&stk=1. also, look into Grafs.com. they've got ammo for a lot of our weird old rifles. i know this because i have a lot of them. Grafs has always been a great outfit to deal with. they're a small, family company that does big things. i work for a similar-type outfit, although not in the firearms business unfortunately, but i appreciate what they do. anyhow, good luck and enjoy your old rifles!

Ricky-Ray
04-22-2010, 2:10 AM
The 4 rifles that I got were:

Mosin M91
Mosin M44
Enfield Mark 4 M2
Steyr M95

maxwellca21
05-21-2010, 3:06 AM

Thanks for your help.

isnt mosin and enfield are cash and carry? why did you have to do PPT?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-21-2010, 6:42 AM
isnt mosin and enfield are cash and carry? why did you have to do PPT?

He had to do a PPT because the seller told him he had to. He explained it in post #12 of this thread...

That's what my friend told me... we had to do a PPT. Oh well, too late now. I guess I will know for the future.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-21-2010, 1:34 PM
The 4 rifles that I got were:

Mosin M91
Mosin M44
Enfield Mark 4 M2
Steyr M95

Pics when you can. :)

Howie44
05-21-2010, 6:03 PM
Pics when you can. :)

+1.

Bigtwin
05-21-2010, 8:38 PM
As far as ammo, I suggest (since you are not reloading) to purchase small amounts(20rds. if possible) of many types for the Mosin Nagant, to see what your gun likes the best. Try both new production and milsurp. My m38 is not too picky, I just purchased a spam can of 440rds. of russian 147gr shipped for $103 from sportsmansguide.
Also bought 100rds of Brown Bear 174gr fmj for $42 from ammunitiontogo.com.

IronCobra
05-22-2010, 3:20 PM
I have a question for you -

When you did the DROS did they charge you per rifle?
or is there a group fee?
And if you don't mind saying, what was the cost for those 4?

I'm curious b/c I've never purchased or transferred a large group through a dealer before.

Also for anyone else if you buy or transfer firearms through a dealer is there a way to do a group reg. or is it all individual ?

Ricky-Ray
05-22-2010, 7:09 PM
I have a question for you -

When you did the DROS did they charge you per rifle?
or is there a group fee?
And if you don't mind saying, what was the cost for those 4?

I'm curious b/c I've never purchased or transferred a large group through a dealer before.

Also for anyone else if you buy or transfer firearms through a dealer is there a way to do a group reg. or is it all individual ?

I DROS'd it at Turners and they charged me $35 for the first one and $10 for each additional one. I had to DROS each one individually so basically I had to fill out the paperwork 4 times.

paul0660
05-22-2010, 7:11 PM
mosins aren't picky. Some might stick more than others, some make bigger fireballs than others, but all will shoot. It's the nature of the beast.

bigstick61
05-23-2010, 8:56 PM
As far as ammo, I suggest (since you are not reloading) to purchase small amounts(20rds. if possible) of many types for the Mosin Nagant, to see what your gun likes the best. Try both new production and milsurp. My m38 is not too picky, I just purchased a spam can of 440rds. of russian 147gr shipped for $103 from sportsmansguide.
Also bought 100rds of Brown Bear 174gr fmj for $42 from ammunitiontogo.com.

7.62X54R.net actually has done testing on a number of Mosin-Nagants using a wide variety of ammunition and posted the results in terms of velocities at different ranges, trajectories, quality (primers, etc.), etc. and to the extent they match what I have shot they seem to be accurate, so I just use them as a guide.