PDA

View Full Version : CA DOJ Response to Lowers

brando
02-23-2006, 7:32 PM
Did anyone see this? It looks like it was a couple weeks ago.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ar15notice.pdf

So, are we SOL? It sounds like even if they list them, they are saying they can't have evil features. Seems like sales are still strong, so maybe I'm just reading this wrong.

6172crew
02-23-2006, 7:35 PM
:eek: Welcome abord. Want to buy a lower?

-aK-
02-23-2006, 7:38 PM
Brando,

Look around there are lots o threads and discussions on this.

I say that because eventually someone is going to be rude.

Basicly we don't know yet...

That is just a memo

RRangel
02-23-2006, 7:39 PM
Yes and surprisingly this has been discussed often. :)
Many of us believe that it can be challenged.

mow
02-23-2006, 7:40 PM
I got the memo :D

Hey brando! How's Venice this time of year :)

FreedomIsNotFree
02-23-2006, 7:40 PM
Did anyone see this? It looks like it was a couple weeks ago.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ar15notice.pdf

So, are we SOL? It sounds like even if they list them, they are saying they can't have evil features. Seems like sales are still strong, so maybe I'm just reading this wrong.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!?!?!

DID YOUR MOTHER DROP YOU ON YOUR HEAD AS AN INFANT?!?!?!?!

DIDN'T ANYONE TELL YOU TO LISTEN BEFORE YOU SPEAK?!?!?!?!

READ SOMETHING BEFORE YOU MAKE A FURTHER *** OUT OF YOURSELF!!!!!

Just kidding. Yes, we have seen that memo. Doesn't really bother me...I'm building anyways. Welcome aboard.

brando
02-23-2006, 7:44 PM
Eh, didn't look hard enough I guess ;) Sounds like it's worth playing it safe and picking up a few lowers either way. My two neutered 1999 ARs are less than ideal.

-aK-
02-23-2006, 7:46 PM
Brando, check out the petition to ammend the CA constitution too.

If we can get that through we don't gotta worry bout no stupid DOJ memo :)

SI-guru
02-23-2006, 7:58 PM
Welcome aboard Brando you liberal :D , what takes you so long to come over from LF board.

Guys, cut him some slack. Take a look at his avatar and guess where he has been lately.

brando
02-23-2006, 8:07 PM
Hehe, what's up Mr.Comtac? I go slow these days - all that splashing water code is frying my brain. I was skeptical about this lower situation and I already have a pair of ARs from the 1999 rush. But, from what I gather, this is a rare opportunity to have a non-neutered set - then it's worth the money ;)

shopkeep
02-23-2006, 8:08 PM
Yeah it's true, I purchased 4 STAG-15s and 1 STAG-6.8

Then they released the memo :eek: !!!

Result of the memo: two carbon fiber lowers and one .308 lower have been added to my collection. AK recievers are on the way.

I know the law. Buying off-list stripped AR and AK recievers is legal. In fact the California Department of Justice told me it was legal both in writting and in person. We asked them if it was lawful to buy these and if they had said "NO" this wouldn't have happened. But since they said "yes" and since the law also says "yes this is lawful" I will buy as many off-list recievers as I please while I am able to do so.

I will obey the law and register these if required. I will even build them into lawfully configured rifles as per state law. What I WILL NOT do is give in to the obvious attempts at intimidation by the state government.

I am a law abiding citizen. And I KNOW the law.

6172crew
02-23-2006, 8:11 PM
Why is your 1999 ARs neutered? There isnt any ban that I know of.:rolleyes:

SI-guru
02-23-2006, 8:23 PM
Hehe, what's up Mr.Comtac? I go slow these days - all that splashing water code is frying my brain. I was skeptical about this lower situation and I already have a pair of ARs from the 1999 rush. But, from what I gather, this is a rare opportunity to have a non-neutered set - then it's worth the money ;)

:eek: They think snow and rain is too easy for you to make ?

There should be plenty of SoCal places to get your off-list lowers, even .308 ones.

xenophobe
02-23-2006, 8:41 PM
My two neutered 1999 ARs are less than ideal.

Did you purchase them before Jan 1, 2000 and register them with the DOJ by December 31, 2000?

If so, your Colt Sporter, or whatever you had doesn't have a flash hider or collapsable stock? You can do whatever you want, NOW... In 2004, the Federal AW ban lapsed. You may now legally have a collapsable stock, flash hider, bayonet lug, can opener, etc...

brando
02-23-2006, 9:34 PM
Whoa? Looks like I came here to be schooled! When I heard in late 1999 that the ARs would be banned, I bought two Bushmaster lowers that I registered as AWs by Dec 1999. They both have full stocks BATF muzzle breaks. Now I thought the AW lapse didn't affect CA law, but it sounds like I could be wrong.

So you're saying, I can put on collapsing stocks and barrels with flash suppressors? They're still detachable mags though.

Justang
02-23-2006, 10:35 PM
You can't see California without Marlin Brando's eyes!!!!!!

Rumpled
02-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Brando,
Welcome, and yes you can. I think it's covered in the AR FAQ in red at the top of the page.
Since yours are legally registered AW's you can do what you want since the FED ban ended.

pieeater
02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Dude, you have a lot of catchin up to do.:confused:

PanzerAce
02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
brando, if they are regd AWs, go make them EEEEEEEEEEEVIL looking and post us some pics eh? :D

brando
02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
On my way! Damn, what was I thinking all these years? I think my first purchase is going to be an MRP upper to go with one of my lowers that's been sitting, wrapping in plastic since 1999. That poor lower's been ignored too long.

xenophobe
02-24-2006, 1:27 AM
Whoa? Looks like I came here to be schooled! When I heard in late 1999 that the ARs would be banned, I bought two Bushmaster lowers that I registered as AWs by Dec 1999. They both have full stocks BATF muzzle breaks. Now I thought the AW lapse didn't affect CA law, but it sounds like I could be wrong.

So you're saying, I can put on collapsing stocks and barrels with flash suppressors? They're still detachable mags though.

The only thing that the Federal AW ban sunsetting affected in California were that Post-Ban firearms (like many Colt Sporters, or Robinson Armament M96's, M1As) is that if you registered them here in California, you can now add all the fun goodies that you want.

California never cared. Whever I talked to DOJ after SB23 went into effect, they didn't care what features a Federal pre or post ban had, didn't care about Federal AW guidelines or 922r, or anything. They said it was Federal law that they wouldn't have the time or expense to police. ATF held at that time that they were not too worried about 922r compliance in a state that had more strict laws, and were not actively keeping an eye out for non-compliant import weapons....

So with all that said, put flash hiders, collapsible stocks, turn your "neutered" ARs into your SOPMOD dreams. ;)

CALI-gula
02-24-2006, 2:23 AM
The only thing that the Federal AW ban sunsetting affected in California were that Post-Ban firearms (like many Colt Sporters, or Robinson Armament M96's, M1As) is that if you registered them here in California, you can now add all the fun goodies that you want. ... So with all that said, put flash hiders, collapsible stocks, turn your "neutered" ARs into your SOPMOD dreams. ;)

About 3 (4?) years ago, there was a Group Buy purchase on ARFC for .458 SOCOM uppers from Teppo-Jutsu with variable options. A large number of people took part, including myself; this was before the sunset of the 94 Crime Bill Clinton ban. I made it well aware in discussions that I wanted the barrel on my upper to have a threaded end "for a muzzle brake" to which numerous replies shouted "a muzzle break on a .458 SOCOM upper is pointless and you can't put a threaded barrel on the end of a post-ban, blah, yack, yuck, yada, you can't do this/you can't do that, etc."

Yeah, I know mom! I saw the Sunset coming and ordered it with the threads anyway!! By the way, the surplus M60 flashider I bored out larger which I am using on the .458 SOCOM upper works beautifully. :D

And I wasn't a total fool; if it didn't go our way, I still had a pre-94 Federal ban Bushmaster in under SB-23 anyway. Always have a plan B.