PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant and Trigger replacement

hollowpoint67
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Long story short, I have an M38 Carbine version of the Mosin Nagant, in terms of accuracy its pretty damn good but Ive read that replacing the trigger can does alot of good for these rifles.

any advice on this?

which triggers / trigger kits do you recommend?

will this hurt the value of my weapon?

is this process reversible?

Rekrab
04-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Your gun has little to no value as it stands. There's too darn many of them.

Sorry, can't add much else as I rather like the stock trigger on Mosins. >.>

There's a few videos on youtube of a guy that has improved the factory trigger though. You might want to check those out.

Argonaut
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Probably best to simply have a smith work on the one you have. The best triggers are not drop ins, They all need a craftsman's touch to be the best.

Noonanda
04-19-2010, 1:01 PM
if you dont want to permanently mod your rifle, buy a Finnish trigger, they mod'ed em to result in a smoother trigger pull. Accuracy wise it will help some but there are other mosd like freefloating all but the last 1/2 inch or so of your stock/barrel, handloading etc

Interloper
04-19-2010, 1:43 PM
Timney is now selling a Mosin trigger. It has a side safety lever (wtf?) so there is going to be some inletting involved.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1836/10d2032ce1e5418998f1472.jpg

Better yet, like Noonanda says, get a trigger for an M39.

bigstick61
04-19-2010, 6:59 PM
The Huber Concepts trigger seems like it could work as well. A good trigger is one of the most important things on a rifle.

CDFingers
04-20-2010, 4:15 AM
I'll second the notion of the Finnish trigger. It will also require the purchase of a different trigger sear part, because the Finnish trigger asks that you shave down the sear spring to make the Finn trigger do its magic. The replacement sear/spring is about $3 from parts places.

It's also true that this modification does not alter the rifle. You can always put back the original trigger and sear.

Finnish triggers are very smooth. You'll like 'em.

m38's are less common than most MN's. Hold on to the one you have and check around. You'll be surprised.

CDFingers

hollowpoint67
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
anyone know where I can locate one of these Fin triggers/parts? ive been looking on numerich and sarco but sarcos website is a MESS.

TRAP55
04-26-2010, 3:24 PM
Finn triggers got scarce real fast. Do you have access to a drill press? Make one!
Measurements are in milimeters.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/TRAP55/finntrigger.jpg

Spiggy
04-26-2010, 3:43 PM
^ You're gonna need a torch too... some of those triggers are hardened

TRAP55
04-26-2010, 3:53 PM
HSS drill from the hardware store will go through them, just make sure you use cutting oil.

jr916
04-26-2010, 4:02 PM
There's a guy on Youtube (Iraqveteran888 or something) that shows you how to decrease the tension needed to both cock the bolt and squeeze the trigger on a Mosin. Try cutting off ONE link of your bolt spring (it's only a $5 part if you screw up).

I haven't cut off a link on mine, but I DID lightly sand and oil the bearing surfaces on both my bolt and the trigger assembly, and my gun functions much more smoothly now. Just a thought.

hypnoman
04-26-2010, 4:41 PM
I hear really great things about those aftermarket triggers. I just can't bring myself to spend (sometimes) more on a trigger than the whole rifle.

I once had schematics on how to mod your own. Specific angles to cut and spring thickness is shown. If I can find them I will post them, but please feel free to search for them. I've done this to most of my Mosins with awesome results. Some triggers are now 3 -4lb pull. That shortening of the firing pin spring works really well too. Makes the bolt work really easy. There are schematics for that, too, on the net!!

CEDaytonaRydr
04-26-2010, 8:41 PM
The Huber Concepts trigger seems like it could work as well. A good trigger is one of the most important things on a rifle.

+1

I've got one in my M44 and it's worked out great. It's a little pricey but whatever, there's no creep in my trigger now!!! :43:

hypnoman
04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I think the Mosin is a great rifle for the Do-It-Yourselfer!! I mean the whole trigger mechanism is only two parts!! Tweak those 2 parts correctly and you have whole new rifle!! How cool is that? I know a lot of my friends don't see the attraction, but maybe that will keep the price low (that and because I read they made over 37 million of them!) . . . and if you tweak the barrel, stock and reload - you'd end up with a rifle capable of sub MOA, too . . .

forgive my passion . . . I meant to comment on its trigger . . .

hypnoman
04-27-2010, 2:06 PM
I also meant to support those who upgrade with really cool aftermarket parts, too. I love to see something become better, more effective and more efficient - stretching toward ultimate potential!!