PDA

View Full Version : Poizner anyone?

Barkoff
04-19-2010, 7:34 AM
Is he a true conservative, is he a friend to the gun owner?

Thanks.

johnny_22
04-19-2010, 7:41 AM
So, for that reason, I like him, far more than Meg. His words sound good, but, talk is cheap.

kdm
04-19-2010, 7:48 AM
Thus far, I know only what the media has told me. Gotta find out more about him.

Can't get over how his name is pronounced, tho...Steve Poison-er???

bwiese
04-19-2010, 7:57 AM
Poizner's toast.
He's spending money out of vanity now; his numbers are in the basement.
Just about all his pro campaign staff left months ago, most jumping to Whitman.

thebronze
04-19-2010, 9:00 AM
I listened to Poizner at the American For Prosperity summit last week in Sacto and really like what he had to say. Whitman was invited, but didn't show.

Fiorina and DeVore also spoke. Fiorina is a very good speaker, but she's not very Conservative. All I need to know about Fiorina is HP. My vote goes to DeVore in the primary.

Anyway, I really what Poizner had to say about his plan to get Kali back on the right track. One of those things was cracking down on illegals. Guns weren't brought up, but I liked what he said.

Re: the Senate race, I'll vote for whomever the Republican nominee is, just get Boxer the hell out of there, but I hope/pray it's DeVore.

The Duke
04-19-2010, 10:11 AM
YEp, pointless even discussing poizner. He's so outgunned moneywise by Meg. This election (primary) is already bought and paid for.

Flopper
04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
"True conservative?"

Poizner gave a big contribution to Gore during his presidential campaign.

Nuff said.

BigDogatPlay
04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Poizner talks a good game, but he is at best a "centrist Republican". He has made some positive comments relative to Amendment Two, but those came very recently and smelled (to me) kind of like when Mitt Romney touted his own NRA membership on the campaign trail.

As above Poizner is done... he needs to stick a fork in it and get back to what he was already elected to do. Meg is spending him into oblivion and has barely scratched the surface of her checkbook.

What really needs to be paid attention to is the Democrat race Lt. Governor. At this point I expect JB to most likely win the governor's race in November. Given his age, and that there are already rumors floating around that that age is starting to show, the contest between LA Councilmember Janice Hahn and San Fran Mayor Gavin Newsom seems all the more critical.

If JB is one term, or God forbid less, does anyone here seriously want Gavin Newsom in the office and running as a de facto incumbent?

HondaMasterTech
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Not necessarily related to this election exactly, but it is unfortunate when a candidate loses to another because of money rather than their qualities.

By the way, where is a good place to do some research on candidates during elections, the best way to find out who you want to vote for? Al Gore made the internet so darned big...

vantec08
04-19-2010, 3:39 PM
Poizner is a splintered-*** fence sitter who has yet to define who and what he is.

RGERBER
04-19-2010, 3:46 PM
Tom McClintock supports him, and Tom is a true conservative

bwiese
04-19-2010, 3:52 PM

He sure talks like he is and talks like he's pro-gun.

I've had it up to here about folks talking pro-gun without action.

Can you name me any pro-gun bills Tom McC has written/carried/driven?
<sounds of pins dropping>

RGERBER
04-19-2010, 5:53 PM
He is only a congressional representative, he supports and defends or gun rights, but this is Ca. any bills being written to increase guns in this state would be a complete waste of time.

They would go nowhere.

OleCuss
04-19-2010, 6:23 PM

I'm a Conservative and I support Poizner against Whitman. But then, I'd support almost anyone against Whitman.

If McClintock is in the same mode I'm in, then supporting Poizner doesn't mean he is good or conservative - it means he isn't the disaster that I think Whitman would be.

otteray
04-19-2010, 6:47 PM
Didn't Brown just challenge them both to a series of debates?
That just may iron out the wrinkles, if they were to accept the challenge...
and include addressing 2nd amendment rights in their debates.
To bad calguns can't sponsor a debate.:rolleyes:

thebronze
04-19-2010, 7:34 PM
I'm a Conservative and I support Poizner against Whitman. But then, I'd support almost anyone against Whitman.

If McClintock is in the same mode I'm in, then supporting Poizner doesn't mean he is good or conservative - it means he isn't the disaster that I think Whitman would be.

Concur.

BigDogatPlay
04-19-2010, 8:58 PM
He is only a congressional representative, he supports and defends or gun rights, but this is Ca. any bills being written to increase guns in this state would be a complete waste of time.

Tom McClintock served a total of 14 years in the State Assembly, and 8 in the State Senate before he ever went to Congress... the question raised by bwiese is very much germane.

I am a huge supporter of McClintock for his hardcore fiscal conservative principles, but like any politician dig deep in his record on the issues that matter to you.

RGERBER
04-20-2010, 3:06 PM
point taken

bwiese
04-20-2010, 3:58 PM

They would go nowhere.

Untrue.

If various policritters were as pro-gun as they claimed they were, there'd be a multitude of achievable, incremental gun bills [as opposed to drama queen unrealistic puff pieces thrown out to look good but DOA politically]. At least some of these would get thru, statistically.

But I have heard of no hordes of "pro-gun" politicians pestering NRA's Ed Worley and CRPA's Tom Pedersen to carry some of these bills. So it sounds like their 'pro gun' stance is low on their priority list - and they need to be called on it.