PDA

View Full Version : Camp Roberts Hunting

NPC333
04-18-2010, 5:13 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm going up to Camp Roberts next weekend (April 24 and 25) for a pig/ turkey hunt. I have never hunted there and am still trying to plan the trip. Does anyone know any general areas that might have game? I'm not asking for secret spots or anything just a general area because there is a lot of land there and I don't have enough time to cover it in two days. Also what is the procedure when hunting there? I called the recorded phone number, but have not found a number to talk to a person. I don't have an RV so I can't camp in the facilities. Is there anywhere close to Camp Roberts to camp? Also do they only allow a certain amount of hunters daily? Anyone info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

bigboarstopper
04-18-2010, 5:36 PM
Lake san antonio is close to the base and you can camp there right on the water. As for secret spots, There arent any. Water sources are always a good bet. I have hunted many properties bordering the camp in the past and my best advice would to hunt close to the fence lines if possible that have barly fiels on the private side. Hogs LOVE barly and being as close to possible to a field can pay off. Check the fencelines. Hogs will leave heavy game trails at the fencelines where they are crossing. This can give a good indication of where they are comming and going. Thats pretty much all I can tell you from what I know about the camp.

olhunter
04-18-2010, 6:51 PM
Everything you need is here -

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/CpRbts/Pages/HuntFish.aspx

Stand in line in the morning at the ranger station, give them your paperwork, pay and off you go. Get there early. Before first light. Tell them you're coming back in the morning and they'll check you in for both days. Print out and fill out the forms ahead of time.

Print the maps ahead of time. It's easy to get lost since all the roads just wind around.

The ranger said Area 5 was the best bet, but we never saw any. Saw lots of sign though. Don't shoot the cows on the other side of the fences.

There's a little town just south on the 101 with some cheap motels. Showers and warm beds are nice.

Check out the picture board at the ranger station for encouragement.

spectr17
04-19-2010, 7:05 PM
Some info here http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/camp-roberts.html

Some of the JHO hog killin crew will be there.