PDA

View Full Version : A C&R question

Dimitri A.
04-18-2010, 5:01 PM
Hey guy's. I just wanted to ask those of you that have a C&R license? What are the rules regarding the transfer of long guns between inidviduals. I'm trying to sell my M48 Mauser but I'm not having luck, prolly because I want to do the sale at an FFL.

If I sell the rifle directly to someone else, do they need to have an C&R license? and for a non C&R holder, do I have to do it through an FFL? Also, is there a data base for verifying 03 FFL's just like there is for 01's?

Cokebottle
04-18-2010, 5:07 PM
Hey guy's. I just wanted to ask those of you that have a C&R license? What are the rules regarding the transfer of long guns between inidviduals. I'm trying to sell my M48 Mauser but I'm not having luck, prolly because I want to do the sale at an FFL.
That is most likely why you're not getting any bites.
The PPT will add $35 to the cost, and it's not needed regardless of the 03FFL status of the buyer/seller.

C&R long guns within California are cash and carry when transferred face to face between private individuals. The 03FFL is not needed by either party.
IF one or both parties have the 03FFL, then they must log the transaction in their bound book, so if you have an 03FFL, you must obtain the proper identification from the buyer to log your disposition of the gun.

Handguns must go through an FFL unless they are older than 1899.

So... if you are an 03FFL, you must get the required information to log the gun out of your bound book.
If the buyer is not an 03FFL, that's all that needs to be done.
If the buyer is an 03FFL, then he will also have to get your information to log the acquisition into his bound book.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-18-2010, 6:17 PM
...Also, is there a data base for verifying 03 FFL's just like there is for 01's?

You can verify that a C&R FFL is valid by calling the BATFE EZ-Check phone number...1-877-560-2435...and giving them the license number and the address on the license. You have to call because the online EZ-Check system does not work for C&R FFL's.

SimpleCountryActuary
04-18-2010, 6:25 PM
The long guns must be 50+ years old even if they are C&R in order to qualify for the face-to-face sale. The fact that gun laws are so freaking complicated is why Calguns is so important.

littlejake
04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
The long guns must be 50+ years old even if they are and defined as C&R in order to qualify for the face-to-face sale. The fact that gun laws are so freaking complicated is why Calguns is so important.

Has to be both C&R AND 50 years old or greater. Just been through this question in thread --
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=291857

Z ME FLY
04-19-2010, 11:02 AM
The long guns must be 50+ years old even if they are C&R in order to qualify for the face-to-face sale. The fact that gun laws are so freaking complicated is why Calguns is so important.

Was this a question or statement? Yup it has to be 50+ yrs old AND c&r. Not just c&r but not 50 yrs old. Perfect example is SKS people think you can sell them FTF because it is C&R. Well most people are wrong only if it is 50+ yrs like the Russian ones can be sold FTF. There is I believe the yugos? That are C&R by the Fed but people still argue that you can do FTF with a FFL because it is C&R. Wrong, not 50 years old.

littlejake
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Was this a question or statement? Yup it has to be 50+ yrs old AND c&r. Not just c&r but not 50 yrs old. Perfect example is SKS people think you can sell them FTF because it is C&R. Well most people are wrong only if it is 50+ yrs like the Russian ones can be sold FTF. There is I believe the yugos? That are C&R by the Fed but people still argue that you can do FTF with a FFL because it is C&R. Wrong, not 50 years old.

True, in addition, the ATF has by fiat added language not in the CFR definition of C&R. ATF added that C&R status is automatic at 50 years old and in original configuration. They give some examples of what does not break original configuration (drill and tap for scope mounts... ) and what breaks original configuration -- a sporterized stock.

Cokebottle
04-19-2010, 4:53 PM
I believe the yugos? That are C&R by the Fed but people still argue that you can do FTF with a FFL because it is C&R. Wrong, not 50 years old.
Even though the first 2 years of production are 50+, it can't be verified because when the factory was bombed, instead of hitting the production section, the bombs hit the office space where the serial number records were kept.

In 2017 all of the Yugo 59/66 will be 50+ and California will no longer be able to block FTF (under current law).

SimpleCountryActuary
04-19-2010, 7:06 PM
True, in addition, the ATF has by fiat added language not in the CFR definition of C&R. ATF added that C&R status is automatic at 50 years old and in original configuration. They give some examples of what does not break original configuration (drill and tap for scope mounts... ) and what breaks original configuration -- a sporterized stock.

So! It's even worse than I said. You could find a long gun that's C&R, that's 50 years old, and because some Maroon sporterized the stock 49 years ago it isn't good to go.

:mad:

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2010, 7:43 PM
In 2017 all of the Yugo 59/66 will be 50+ and California will no longer be able to block FTF (under current law).

I think you meant to say that in 2017 all of the Yugo M59's will be 50+ years old. The M59/66's won't all be 50+ years old until 2040 or so.

Cokebottle
04-19-2010, 8:44 PM
I think you meant to say that in 2017 all of the Yugo M59's will be 50+ years old. The M59/66's won't all be 50+ years old until 2040 or so.
Oops...

Ya... what you said ;)