View Full Version : Buying lowers from out of state friend?

02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I have a good friend in Arizona who is also into AR15s. Right now he has a stripped lower that he is willing to sell me. He travels to Cali frequently. How would I go about buying a stripped lower from him? Will this be just like a PPT? Or do I still have to goto a FFL dealer and pay the receiving fee? Any help very much appreciated! Thanks

02-23-2006, 12:37 PM
As far as I know you just need to do a PPT and make sure it takes place in California with a California FFL. As long as the PPT goes through a Cali FFL and the reciever in question isn't on the Kasler list, you're fine.

If I'm wrong about this feel free to chime in folks!

02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmmm. Can an AZ resident bring a firearm into California to PPT? I think the PPT has to take place between two Californians. The easiest thing is to just have your friend send it to your FFL and have your FFL do the paperwork. For some reason I get the feeling an out of state resident can't bring a firearm into California to do a PPT. I would have to look. Definitely look into this some more and take none of these responses so far as gospel.

02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
These unlisted recievers should be treated like any other CA-legal gun.

Your friend does not have to drive it into the state.

It is the same as if you were buying a pump shotgun or bolt-action rifle from him:

He ships the firearm to your FFL and you go and do the paperwork.

End of story.

It's no different than if you were buying the lower from a dealer in another state.

All that matters is whether the gun is CA-legal.

These lowers are legal, so you are good to go.

I'll also add that I've bought most of my guns from private individuals from various gun forums and that's been the procedure everytime: They ship the gun to my FFL, I go and do the paperwork.

That's how I got my minigun.

02-23-2006, 3:56 PM
OK thanks guys. I am guessing it would be just like buying from a out of state shop. I guess I would have to pay that extra receiving fee.