PDA

View Full Version : Out of state gun

redrumten
02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure what my question is really so I'll just explain the scenario:

An immediate family who resides in a state that does not require registration of handguns gives me an handgun as a gift while I am visiting. Is it legal for me to bring it to CA? Does it matter if it's on our list? Am I required to register the gun in CA?

I already know that I can check the gun on a commercial flight with no problem because I have done it before from that state to CA.

I might be missing some important questions so any info you can give me will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

EOD Guy
02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Your points are moot since it is illegal for the handgun to be transferred to you in the first place unless it is shipped to a California dealer first.

PanzerAce
02-23-2006, 1:08 PM
um, check out the DOJ FAQ about hand guns, specifically intra familial transfers, they prob have the answer there.

redrumten
02-23-2006, 1:54 PM
So EOD Guy is saying that my relative has to ship the gun to CA dealer, right? Is that an FFL?

Does it matter if the gun is on the CA approved list? I haven't had any luck finding info on intra familiar transfers from out of state.

Thanks again,
Greg

TheMan
02-23-2006, 2:16 PM
Does it matter if the gun is on the CA approved list? I haven't had any luck finding info on intra familiar transfers from out of state.

There are no special exceptions for intra family transfers from out of state, because that is governed by fed. law. Intra family without a FFL is OK according to CA law only if it is parent-child, or grandparent-grandchild. But it still isn't legal to transfer between out of state residents according to federal law. If you were inheriting them, then I think there are exceptions.

Google "18 USC 922" and you will get the relevant section of federal law.

redrumten
02-23-2006, 3:12 PM
Thanks, I'm Googling now. You really are the man.