PDA

View Full Version : If you live in California, can you buy ammo via mail from out of state?

semperfi374
04-17-2010, 10:00 PM
All,
I'm some what new to this site and I'm glad this exist so we can get some of questions answered about our handguns. With the recent new laws and bans out there, can California residents buy ammo via mail order?
If so, does anyone know of any good ammo sites?

Thanks in advance,
Semperfi374

XDRoX
04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
90% of CA, yes, you can buy online ammo as of this time. Certain areas of LA and Sacramento I believe are regulated.
I like ammunition to go, and Aim surplus.

fearxd45
04-17-2010, 10:05 PM
+1 on ammunition to go

Sick Boy
04-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I use ammoengine.com to find the cheapest prices by round.

It has rifle, handgun and rimfire ammo. My first stop whenever I look for ammo.

Joe
04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I use http://www.rmammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=ct5qgvkhld66a8ttg1fi0hpli0

also lots of other places when they have ammo in stock.

RookieShooter
04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
http://gun-deals.com/index.php

Once A Marine
04-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Gun-deals.com is another general site. Another +1 for ammunition to go, I buy quite a bit of stuff there.

You can find sweet deals all over though, from online ammo specific sites, to general gun sites such as MidwayUSA, to general sporting goods/hunting sites such as Cabelas. It all depends on sales and free shipping options, but it's like happy hour on a tropical island - you can chase it around from place to place for 4-5 hours a day! I even stumbled across an online hardware store that had ammo through a google search (searched for .40 S&W Remington UMC), that had the 250rd UMC pack for the same price as Walmart.

Use www.gun-deals.com as a reference to just about every site you'll need.

DaveFJ80
04-17-2010, 11:03 PM
90% of CA, yes, you can buy online ammo as of this time. Certain areas of LA and Sacramento I believe are regulated.

In the "city of Los Angeles" if your zip code falls under 90xxx (and a few others that are consider the city of LA), you cannot have ammo shipped to those addresses. However if you live in a city just outside of 'LA' you're more than likely ok to receive ammo (again, it depends on the city's law). Most websites like CTD have an ammo-shipping engine that you can plug in your city & state, and it will tell you if you can have ammo shipped to you or not.

TWoods450
04-17-2010, 11:06 PM
In Feb of 2011 all ammo purchases in all of CA will need to be FTF, stock up while ya can, come next year be prepared to be raped for your ammo. that is until a gun show comes around.

Quiet
04-17-2010, 11:42 PM
In Feb of 2011 all ammo purchases in all of CA will need to be FTF, stock up while ya can, come next year be prepared to be raped for your ammo. that is until a gun show comes around.

Only effects handgun ammunition.

Rifle & shotgun ammo can still be purchased online/mail order.

Penal Code 12318
(a) Commencing February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
transaction with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide evidence of identity from the purchaser or other transferee. A
violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
(b) For purposes of this section:
(2) "Handgun ammunition" means handgun ammunition as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12323, but excluding ammunition designed and intended to be used in an "antique firearm" as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code. Handgun ammunition does not include blanks.

Penal Code 12323
As used in this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

semperfi374
04-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the 411 on this subject... wasn't sure what the real deal was with mail order ammo these days. Time to grab some ammo deals while I can before laws change in our California.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply so late in the day!!!

Semperfi374

UserM4
04-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I use ammoengine.com to find the cheapest prices by round.

It has rifle, handgun and rimfire ammo. My first stop whenever I look for ammo.

Thx Zack! :p

Sick Boy
04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Hey buddy!

No prob.