PDA

View Full Version : How far up can i build my lower?

yiha
02-23-2006, 6:47 AM
Hi, before it comes up; yes ive searched, and yes i do already have a pretty clear idea of what is and isnt legal, but i just thought id confirm it here to be sure.
Better safe than a felon, you know :)

well, my question is this. i have a stripped lower with parts kit and a pistol grip and mag release that i might be building up (no upper, just the pistol grip and built lower, no stock or upper) this is legal, right?

Bimmerworld
02-23-2006, 6:54 AM
Hi, before it comes up; yes ive searched, and yes i do already have a pretty clear idea of what is and isnt legal, but i just thought id confirm it here to be sure.
Better safe than a felon, you know :)

well, my question is this. i have a stripped lower with parts kit and a pistol grip and mag release that i might be building up (no upper, just the pistol grip and built lower, no stock or upper) this is legal, right?

I think, you need to pin the mag in.

Kali_M14
02-23-2006, 6:56 AM
If you are going to build it up you have two choices:

1. build it with a mag realease but no pistol grip
2. build it with a fixed mag then attach the pistol grip.

Building it any other way would be considered making an AW, and you do not want to do that. The fact that it is only a lower is irrelevant. Hope that helps, also look at the AR/AK FAQs, that should help.:)

6172crew
02-23-2006, 7:08 AM
None of what is said here will keep you out of jail, write the doj and post the reply.:)

filefish
02-23-2006, 7:11 AM
what if i put it on a .22lr upper with a .22lr mag?

-aK-
02-23-2006, 7:12 AM
or better yet, write your local District Attorney.

6172crew
02-23-2006, 7:14 AM
The lower must be marked .22lr and cant accept a ar15 magazine.

what if i put it on a .22lr upper with a .22lr mag?

tenpercentfirearms
02-23-2006, 7:20 AM
None of what is said here will keep you out of jail, write the doj and post the reply.So true. If you just read their definition of what a fixed mag is, the conversion kits should meet that definition. What your local DA says or what a DOJ agent at the range says could be different than written procedure and law and it might take lawyers and judges to hash it out. I would just urge everyone to tread lightly until the DOJ makes their next move. The ball is in their court, we have to wait and see what they are going to do with it. Odds are nothing as them not saying anything makes us more nervous than when they say something.

Guinness
02-23-2006, 7:56 AM
them not saying anything makes us more nervous than when they say something.

:D How true that statement is!

maxicon
02-23-2006, 10:42 AM

Is this documented somewhere?

max

xenophobe
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
So true. If you just read their definition of what a fixed mag is, the conversion kits should meet that definition.

The key word here is now highlighted.

The ONLY external fixed mag lower currently approved for sale by the DOJ is the Vulcan, which is epoxied and blind pinned. Any other way to "fix" the mag could make you the first high publicity test case. The DOJ will do this to someone to scare the hell out of anyone else that would pay attention or care. Bet on it.

xenophobe
02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Is this documented somewhere?

max

No. As long as the reciever has a dedicated .22LR upper (not a .223 upper with .22LR bolt conversion), you should be completely legal. It would be better for you if the lower didn't specifically say 5.56, .223, .50B, 6.8SPC (or any other centerfire cartridge), but technically that shouldn't matter. Though realistically, some DA's might just try to prosecute you on a 'constructive possession' saying that you have the .223 upper without a lower constitues an illegal AW, though there is no provision in California law that says a combination of parts that are not assembled are illegal.

I would just go with a fixed .22LR upper, use the Colt screw together (non-push) pivot pin, and use a caliber unmarked receiver like the Lauer. And to make it nearly indesputable, you could use permanent Loctite on the screw together pivot pin to add the icing on the cake. It still doesn't mean you can't get charged, but most likely nothing will happen, because when they try to show that you can easily convert it, and can't get the front pivot pin apart, their point that you could readily convert it in court would become a joke.

grammaton76
02-23-2006, 9:18 PM

I would reword that as "it is PREFERABLE that the lower not be marked 5.56mm, and would be SAFEST if it could not accept an AR-15 magazine".

There is nothing in the law specifically mandating a 22LR marking, but the avoiding the AR mag thing is just common sense.

If you install the V-22 upper, the mag issue is taken care of. If you use a Mega lower, the caliber marking ("multi") is taken care of.