PDA

View Full Version : Who has an iPad here?

Turbinator
04-17-2010, 9:02 PM
Curious how you like it. Good? Bad? Regrets? Thrilled?

Turby

7.62x54R
04-17-2010, 9:14 PM
Ive played with it. Its basically a faster larger i pod touch. Its thinner than I thought which was nice. The screen is very nice and plays video very well. Its ok but it doesn't do flash nor does it multi task so its a no go for me until they solve this problem. Its 499$ but as it lacks a camera, flash support, USB port, video out, and most of its accessories will be proprietary (IE expensive). I wouldn't spend 499$ on it. I would buy it as is for 299$. I will wait till the stupidity of people over paying for it and it improves as far as features. I am sure other makes will bring out better or similar products for less money.

If you are a Apple fan boy then buy it other wise wait and see how it changes and improves or wait for another maker to make a better one.

REDHORSE
04-17-2010, 9:23 PM
lsjU0K8QPhs

JDay
04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Its ok but it doesn't do flash nor does it multi task so its a no go for me until they solve this problem.

Its not going to get flash, ever. Personally I think its good that someone is moving towards favoring HTML5 over Flash, however so much stuff uses flash that it is a requirement for many sites. Multitasking will be in the next update, however you will not be getting true multitasking and it will only work with some apps. Save your money and wait for the Windows 7 based alternative from HP that's coming out later this year. It will be far more useful.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/steve-jobs-unleashes-his-fury-during-town-hall-meeting/

Then, good ‘ole Steve moved onto Adobe calling them lazy and identifying Flash as being “buggy” and archaic. Gruber reported, still from a second-hand source, that this is what Jobs said in regards to Adobe: “They are lazy. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, the world is moving to HTML5.”

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224201477

HP's yet-to-be-named slate computer features a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, an 8.9-inch, multi-touch display, 32 or 64 GB of Flash storage, and 1 GB of DDR RAM, according to Engadget.

HP's slate also runs on Windows Home 7 Premium, includes a VGA Webcam, and an Intel UMA graphics chip that supports 1080p, high-definition video playback, the blog reported, citing internal HP documents.

The documents further revealed that HP's slate will be priced between $549 and $599 when it hits the market later this year. HP has not confirmed the documents' authenticity.

Turbinator
04-18-2010, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys, wife wants one and I don't mind, I don't think I'm sold on it though. Using the notebook computer works just fine for me thus far.

Turby

SpoonKiller
04-18-2010, 1:55 PM
I've had one for over a week now and I think it's a great little internet appliance. I bought it because it does 90% of what we use our laptops for without all the associated crap that comes from using a laptop. My wife is happy to have her dining room table back. I still have PCs around to do heavy stuff like image and video editing, but for everything else we now use the iPad, it's just so much easier to just pick it up, look at what you want to look and put it back down.

I know everyone loves to hate on Apple, but these guys make things that work exactly as advertised. I was never much of an Apple fan until my wife forced me into getting iPhones when they first came out. I now understand where they're coming from and why they're so controlling, ten years ago I would have had issues with that, but now I just want things that are designed well and work without me having to be tech support for my family.

lstrong
04-18-2010, 2:06 PM
I know everyone loves to hate on Apple, but these guys make things that work exactly as advertised.
That is the problem.You have to spend 500 bucks for something that will only do what apple advertises it will do right now.It is not upgradable and will be obsolete in less than a year.Then you will have to pay 600 bucks next year for the model that does the next important thing that comes out.This has been apple's business model for the last 10 years.I like the tablet idea though and hope some of the Android or windows 7 ones are as fast as the mac but with more features and is expandable for future improvements.I have a Droid now and love it for all of the reasons I have explained above and it is far superior to iphone.It only cost's 50 bucks too.25 bucks if you buy it on amazon.

SpoonKiller
04-18-2010, 2:27 PM
That is the problem.You have to spend 500 bucks for something that will only do what apple advertises it will do right now.It is not upgradable and will be obsolete in less than a year.Then you will have to pay 600 bucks next year for the model that does the next important thing that comes out.This has been apple's business model for the last 10 years.I like the tablet idea though and hope some of the Android or windows 7 ones are as fast as the mac but with more features and is expandable for future improvements.I have a Droid now and love it for all of the reasons I have explained above and it is far superior to iphone.It only cost's 50 bucks too.25 bucks if you buy it on amazon.
Whatever works for you man :)

I had the original iPhone for two years, thing worked awesome, never had any complaints. When the contract expired I looked long and hard at the Droid, then the Nexus One was announced and I waited two month more hoping the Nexus One would be the iPhone killer, I really wanted it to blow away the iPhone, I'm more then happy to support either one of these two Bay Area companies and give an FU to AT&T in the process, but it fell short of what was advertised, my wife and I are on the same plan so whatever I got needed to be as easy to use as the iPhone. Android on the Droid and Nexus just weren't as polished as the iPhone. So we ended back with iPhone 3Gs.

In regards to tablets, I hope HP comes through on the Slate, but personally I think they will try to cram too much in it and will end up with a device that is a jack of all trade and master of none. The reported battery life on it is already disappointing for a tablet, toping out at 5hrs. Then you have the UI, will Microsoft come through with something as elegant to use as Apple? Highly doubt it. Then we have the Android based tablets, so far the ones that have been released all have had great specs but they have all failed on the UI implementation.

Ishoot
04-18-2010, 2:56 PM
Whatever works for you man :)

I had the original iPhone for two years, thing worked awesome, never had any complaints. When the contract expired I looked long and hard at the Droid, then the Nexus One was announced and I waited two month more hoping the Nexus One would be the iPhone killer, I really wanted it to blow away the iPhone, I'm more then happy to support either one of these two Bay Area companies and give an FU to AT&T in the process, but it fell short of what was advertised, my wife and I are on the same plan so whatever I got needed to be as easy to use as the iPhone. Android on the Droid and Nexus just weren't as polished as the iPhone. So we ended back with iPhone 3Gs.

In regards to tablets, I hope HP comes through on the Slate, but personally I think they will try to cram too much in it and will end up with a device that is a jack of all trade and master of none. The reported battery life on it is already disappointing for a tablet, toping out at 5hrs. Then you have the UI, will Microsoft come through with something as elegant to use as Apple? Highly doubt it. Then we have the Android based tablets, so far the ones that have been released all have had great specs but they have all failed on the UI implementation.

I was in the same mindset in regards to someone, anyone making a better product to usurp the Iphone but to date, there isn't one. I'm planning on waiting for a year to see if anything tops the Ipad then I can buy the better product then.

JDay
04-18-2010, 3:25 PM
Wait for the release of the Slate.

Ag3TNquUlEg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-p-RZAwQq0E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-p-RZAwQq0E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

apwIiqIKf84

bigmike82
04-18-2010, 3:35 PM
Not really related to the original question...but still cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs79QEbWrLc

Mute
04-18-2010, 3:53 PM
As much as I love my iphone and ipod touch it's because they can actually fit in my pocket. Does too little for too much money.

SpoonKiller
04-19-2010, 1:46 PM
Someone got a hold of the Slate and the verdict is... well "meh"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/hp-slate-leaks-its-way-into-the-wild-meh/

gunn
04-19-2010, 2:49 PM
A buddy tells me that with the current ban, IPADs are going for 2x the US MSRP in Israel. Too bad you have to get it past customs though and those guys mean business...
-g

Bug Splat
04-19-2010, 3:25 PM

Where are you getting it for $25 on Amazon? Is that with a contract or something?

Never mind, I found it. $19.99 with new service plan.

Hoologan
04-19-2010, 3:50 PM
I don't have one. Probably never will, but I sure made a killing on the stock in the last three months thanks to all the hype!

lstrong
04-19-2010, 8:09 PM
Where are you getting it for $25 on Amazon? Is that with a contract or something?

Never mind, I found it. $19.99 with new service plan.

I think it comes to 25 bucks after shipping.People are right that it is not better than an iphone stock,but once you spend 15 minutes of your life rooting it and overclocking it,it becomes a monster.Plus you get free wifi tethering.The only thing that is better on the iphone is the still camera which is much better than the Droid's.The video recorder part is phenomenal though.Much better than iphone's.Droid is like a pc compared to iphone being a mac.The mac is always super polished and ready to go but are hard if not impossible to upgrade for new technology.The Droid,being like a pc,is much cheaper but requires you to tweak it to make it perfect for you.And also like the pc,the droid cost's about 1/3 as much.

JDay
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Someone got a hold of the Slate and the verdict is... well "meh"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/hp-slate-leaks-its-way-into-the-wild-meh/

That's an engineering sample, the product isn't finalized yet. I also see that there is an apple power brick on the table, biased much?

stormy_clothing
04-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Without the ipad many other devices would never go anywhere. The slate is an answer not a statement - "we can make a tablet too" not "we can make the best tablet" typical HP actually.

I won't be buying an Ipad but I respect many aspects of it and considering what it can do it's much better than many other devices of the same price at being a simple internet and media and reading device.

The idea will progress and next year a better ipad will emerge I'm sure.

Fantasma
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I would consider a slate...

Never an over sized Ipod Touch with the same BS of no flash(such a deal killer).

Turbinator
04-23-2010, 9:09 PM
Ok, update. Wife got one. She's using it to do Youtube right now. Seems allright. Great size, great portability, pretty good speaker quality. I'll give another update when we get some games onto there.

Turby

Ishoot
04-23-2010, 10:08 PM
So...hows Calguns look on it? :)

phish
04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
When conducting plastics are viable, I'll get one of these gadgets, until then...

RoadGlide05
04-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Don't know that I'd buy one for what it cost, but I was fortunate to receive one as a thank you for finishing a cost-saving project at work! CEO wanted to give us digital cameras, but the CIO talked him into the iPad!

I love the instant on ability! I can pick it up, and be reading email in 3 seconds. As long as you have wifi, you can watch 720p HD videos on Netflix. I can connect to work via VPN, then remote desktop to any server just like I can from a laptop.
There are definitely drawbacks, like few multitasking apps, and when the battery finally dies, I'll have to send it back to Apple to get it replaced. Good news is battery life meets the 10 hours reported.

Turbinator
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
So...hows Calguns look on it? :)

Hah hah.. it's the wife's iPad, so I haven't tried to get my greasy hands on it yet. But if I can get CG on it, I'll show you guys a pic.

Turby

Turbinator
04-25-2010, 9:08 AM
Ok, one complaint so far. I can't seem to tether the iPad to my phone via Bluetooth. I guess this is a feature Apple specifically left out, so that you'd go buy their 3G version. Sucks.

Turby

n2k
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, one complaint so far. I can't seem to tether the iPad to my phone via Bluetooth. I guess this is a feature Apple specifically left out, so that you'd go buy their 3G version. Sucks.

Turby

3G is out today....lines are already forming.

JDay
04-30-2010, 11:12 AM

Turby

That's to force you to get another cellular plan and contract. They wouldn't want you to use the plan you already pay for and lose out on their cut of the revenue. There is no reason other than greed for them to do this, they specifically disable tethering on the iPhone/iPad. This is one thing a lawsuit really needs to get filed over. You should be able to use one wireless plan with as many devices as you wish.

kf6tac
04-30-2010, 2:28 PM
Wait for the release of the Slate.

Latest word in the HP rumor mill is that the Slate his dead.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/hp-slate-killed-rumor-mill-says-yes/

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hewlett-packard-to-kill-windows-7-tablet-project/

Even if it does come back from the dead, it'll probably be resurrected running WebOS which HP got as part of the Palm acquisition, which would make it (IMHO) worse than an iPad.

n2k
04-30-2010, 5:37 PM
Just picked up the 3G, Calguns is awesome on the IPad. Worth every penny.

*This post has been provided to you by the Apple IPad

joefrank64k
05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Just got my 3G yesterday...love this thing! Fast, beautiful display, does what I need it to do and them some...

joefrank64k
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
And CG looks and works great! This post was done entirely on my iPad...snapshot of screen, upload to Photobucket, etc.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/joefrank64k/e183b274.jpg

Turbinator
05-01-2010, 11:31 AM
I added a few more apps to the wife's iPad - God Finger, iBooks, Guinness Book of World Records Lite, Labyrinth Lite, and Google. She's playing We Rule. If any of you are on We Rule, post your username and she'll add you as a friend for trading goods.

Turby