PDA

View Full Version : Varmint hunting in Bay area *for 10yr old*

fistfullofdlrs
04-17-2010, 9:26 AM
I grew up being able to go out the front door with a 22....great memories. Zip code has changed. I would love to bring my son someplace within an hour drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jbaggy
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Might be little longer than an hour depending on where you live in the South Bay but there is still some public land outside of Gilroy that has squirrels and such (even hogs...but they mostly stick to the private ranches in the area). If you drive over Pacheco Pass towards Los Banos there is a wildlife area that supports hunting as well: Cottonwood Creek Wildlife Area. Good luck, have fun!

CSACANNONEER
04-17-2010, 10:59 AM
You're a great dad!

joshua76
04-18-2010, 11:01 PM
I called there a few weeks ago and was told it's closed for hunting before summer. I thought that means that we cannot hunt anything there, even for varmint?
And in most public land, only shot gun is allowed?
I'd too love to know where around bay area we could shoot squirrel with a .22.....

Might be little longer than an hour depending on where you live in the South Bay but there is still some public land outside of Gilroy that has squirrels and such (even hogs...but they mostly stick to the private ranches in the area). If you drive over Pacheco Pass towards Los Banos there is a wildlife area that supports hunting as well: Cottonwood Creek Wildlife Area. Good luck, have fun!

Bearclaw
04-20-2010, 2:57 PM
If you want someplace close then the best thing to do is head down to Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and/or Hollister and start knocking on doors. There are a lot of ranches around, and you never know.....some of the ranchers might be willing to let you shoot ground squirrels on their property.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CalGuns!