PDA

View Full Version : how can i get ready for duck hunting during off season?

Hornet_RN
04-16-2010, 8:01 PM
i wanted to try something new other than just hunting varmints, squirrels, rabbits n' stuff, so duck hunting looks pretty fun. i got a pump shotgun already, but that's pretty much it. how can i prepare for duck hunting season? is there anything you could suggest for a newbie?

77bawls
04-16-2010, 8:23 PM
Shoot some clays. And get a call to practice.

challenger
04-16-2010, 10:28 PM
try this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/DuckHuntBox.jpg

pieeater
04-17-2010, 5:26 AM
Sell the pump and get a semi. Work all the OT and weekends you can so you have the time and money to hunt when season comes. Start buying gear and testing it out as best you can. Learn everything you can about the refuge system here.

lewdogg21
04-17-2010, 7:40 AM
lol at buying duck hunt.

1) Go buy a mallard call that comes with a dvd or cd. Listen to it and practice, then replay the cd. You will suck for a while but everybody does. You can also pick up a wing setter whistle or other whistle and learn the sprig, teal, widgeon whistles but the mallard call is still the most important.

2) Go out to the refuges or get around groups of ducks and just sit quiet and listen. These are the sounds you will learn to mimic in #1. In duck calling the cadence is more important that the tone.

If your just out of school and $ is tight a pump is fine. In fact it works just as well as an auto since both go boom when you pull the trigger. I used an 870 for years until I got my Benelli. The auto is more luxurious. If you don't have the gear (waders, waterproof (goretex or similar material) buy it between now and Julyish as it will be at fire sale prices.

3) If you can hunt with somebody who knows what they are doing thats huge. Things like decoy placement, movement (lack of), staying hidden, how to hide your blind or spot etc all make a difference.

I'm not a pro but my father and I consistently do better than the others in our duck clubs even though blinds are a draw. The reason is years of experience combined with some good teaching (Harry Boyle) and sometimes it's just dumb luck. There will be days where nothing seems to work and others where it seems you can't screw it up even when your standing up next to the blind taking a whizz.

scr83jp
04-17-2010, 7:46 AM
i wanted to try something new other than just hunting varmints, squirrels, rabbits n' stuff, so duck hunting looks pretty fun. i got a pump shotgun already, but that's pretty much it. how can i prepare for duck hunting season? is there anything you could suggest for a newbie?Keep your rem 870 less problems, easily repaired with parts available everywhere and very reliable,I have 3 pumps .

Ithaca 16g pump ,Remington 870 12g with trap,skeet & field barrels , a Winchester Model 12 & a Remington 11-87 semiauto.I 've used my Rem 870 wingmaster for hunting doves,quail,grouse,bandtailed pigeons,rabbits,hares,squirrels.

duckman1
04-18-2010, 7:35 AM
Practice with the call, I keep mine in the truck and practice when I'm on the road and alone. Shoot all that you can good shooting is a combination of good technique and muscle memory. Take an honest look at your gear and clothing, are you blending into the areas you hunt? Do you need to work on your blind? Do your decoys look like all of the other blinds or do you have something special that looks better or more natural? ie spinners, kites, bubblers or ripple machines?

It doesn't take alot to make you successful you can acquire your gear a little at a time and buy off season.

pieeater
04-18-2010, 7:42 AM
You really can work the refuge system too, I used to hunt them when I was younger. Get a buddy or two and apply for every single hunt you can. It might cost a couplebucks but you should be able to get in a lot of goodhunting.

pieeater
04-18-2010, 7:46 AM
+1 on what these guys are saying about the gear. I dont know about prices right now. But right after season ends they have some HUGE sales on waders,parkas, decoys, etc.

pgquackstacker
04-18-2010, 6:14 PM
1. Get some decoys. You can get a GHG puddler pack off of Cabela's or Macks Prairie Wings for cheap. Got a dozen and a half or 2 dozen. That's all we use and usually we don't put them all out.

2. Buy a call and an instructional DVD. Practice, practice, practice. You have to start somewhere. Also, buy a Wingsetter 8-in-1 whistle learn the Wigeon, Teal, Pintail, Mallard whistles. I use a whistle more than a mallard call day in and day out because I think it's more realistic.

3. Clothing. Get some waders because it is cold in the water when you are sitting there. Also get a jacket, don't go cheap on this because a lot of people underestimate how much better a nice jacket is than a cheap one. Get a facemask because the glare off your face will guaranteed flare birds if they see it. Most people don't realize it but your face stand out like a sore thumb.

4. Shooting. Go shoot some skeet practice doubles and keep shooting. You can't mimic birds flaring and bombing through but the more you shoot the better you will get.

Good luck, it's always nice to have some new hunters to keep our sport alive.

Hornet_RN
04-18-2010, 8:20 PM
thanks for all the great advice. i hope to see you guys out there once the season hits.

-hornet_rn

10ga-killa
04-18-2010, 8:34 PM
Try to find somebody to mentor you. As for the shooting part, hit the trap range when you can and get ready for dove season on Sept. 1st. There's no substitute for fast moving live birds that will get you ready for ducks.

First try it out to see if you like it before going gunho and buying all the equipment to only turn around and sell it all if it's not your thing.

Bearclaw
04-20-2010, 2:10 PM
Try to find somebody to mentor you. As for the shooting part, hit the trap range when you can and get ready for dove season on Sept. 1st. There's no substitute for fast moving live birds that will get you ready for ducks.

First try it out to see if you like it before going gunho and buying all the equipment to only turn around and sell it all if it's not your thing.

Everyone else has already given you great advice...listen to it. I don't need to add to it. But I also have to agree with 10ga-killa as far as getting someone to take you out (at least for your first time) so that maybe they might have some gear you can borrow, and you can get a feel for it. This will keep you from having to buy too much stuff just to get started. While DUCK HUNTING IS ADDICTING and can get expensive, it is not for everyone. I personally LOVE IT, but I know people who went out and hated sitting in the crappy weather all day.

p.s.
Just remember DUCK HUNTING IS LIKE HEROIN...once you get hooked, you might die without it! :D