PDA

View Full Version : observing hunting

dwa
04-16-2010, 3:10 PM
Can I go out with a friend hunting if I don't have a firearm/hunting implement with me and am observing? would having a dog with me make a difference? Thanks

theseacow
04-16-2010, 3:17 PM
some people will say that you cant go if you dont have a license, but i think thats a bunch of crap. If you are going, just make sure it isn't obvious that you are somehow participating in the hunt itself and just be the observer or camera guy or whatever.

picasso
04-16-2010, 3:22 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=288931&highlight=unlicensed

bigboarstopper
04-16-2010, 4:44 PM
If you have a dog then its an implament of hunting and you need a licence. A hunter may have up to 3 dogs per person for hogs. So if the 3 dogs belonging to, or are under the control of the licenced hunter then the observer is ok. The observer must not have a firearm as well.

jawbreaker
04-16-2010, 7:33 PM
Is it a small dog? If so do you want to go coyote hunting?:laugh:

DirtyDave
04-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Is it a small dog? If so do you want to go coyote hunting?:laugh:

We can take my girlfriends dog hahaha

dwa
04-18-2010, 8:58 PM
If you have a dog then its an implament of hunting and you need a licence. A hunter may have up to 3 dogs per person for hogs. So if the 3 dogs belonging to, or are under the control of the licenced hunter then the observer is ok. The observer must not have a firearm as well.

so if the licensed hunter has the controller for the collars of both dogs then said hunter is in control.

bigboarstopper
04-19-2010, 10:41 PM
The dogs need to "officially" under the control of the licenced hunter.

duckman1
04-20-2010, 6:50 AM
You don't need a license to accompany someone into the field. You do need a license to participate in the hunt. ie: Control the dogs, carry a firearm or bow etc. You can even help to remove the game from the field, I will qualify that with the game needs to be clearly tagged or marked with the hunters Name, License Number address and phone number to be legal.

If a license was required to watch then most of us would have been illegal any time we take our children or others out to observe. If it is public land and not restricted you have as much right as anyone to be out there.

taperxz
04-20-2010, 8:19 AM
Tell me what exactly is considered a hunt? If i am driving my Tyrex with my wife as a passenger on my property during deer season and i happen to see a buck and i harvest that animal, and my wife has a .38 on her side, she has commited NO crime! Until the actual shooting of the animal occurs you are not hunting!! She did not fire a shot and is not hunting.

If a warden were to approach us she would have to actually TELL the warden that she was in fact hunting for deer. Or the warden would have to have seen her actually shoot at the deer! Oh and did i forget to mention our rat terrier was with us on her lap also going for a ride? Unless there are local restrictions, she can pack and hold my dog! No laws broken. For the sake of arguement, we can substitute my wife for my son, daughter, uncle, dad, mom or best friend. Last i heard it is not illegal to UOC in this state yet or take a pet with you for a ride or hike on my property, national forest, or BLM.

Another thought, If it was illegal for her to be with me while she had a firearm, What constitues WITH ME! Would she have to be 5 yards away from me? 100yards? Two miles?

theseacow
04-20-2010, 9:10 AM
Tell me what exactly is considered a hunt? If i am driving my Tyrex with my wife as a passenger on my property during deer season and i happen to see a buck and i harvest that animal, and my wife has a .38 on her side, she has commited NO crime! Until the actual shooting of the animal occurs you are not hunting!! She did not fire a shot and is not hunting.

If a warden were to approach us she would have to actually TELL the warden that she was in fact hunting for deer. Or the warden would have to have seen her actually shoot at the deer! Oh and did i forget to mention our rat terrier was with us on her lap also going for a ride? Unless there are local restrictions, she can pack and hold my dog! No laws broken. For the sake of arguement, we can substitute my wife for my son, daughter, uncle, dad, mom or best friend. Last i heard it is not illegal to UOC in this state yet or take a pet with you for a ride or hike on my property, national forest, or BLM.

Another thought, If it was illegal for her to be with me while she had a firearm, What constitues WITH ME! Would she have to be 5 yards away from me? 100yards? Two miles?

that was kind of my thoughts on the matter.

bigboarstopper
04-20-2010, 9:43 AM
I hear what your saying and it makes sence. However a wardens job is to give citations. He will split up the two people and ask numerous questions. Regardless of your intentions the warden will cite once hes gotten somone to say something he wants to hear. Once he does Youve got a ticket. Innocent or not the ticket will cost the same as the lawyer. You lose either way.

taperxz
04-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I hear what your saying and it makes sence. However a wardens job is to give citations. He will split up the two people and ask numerous questions. Regardless of your intentions the warden will cite once hes gotten somone to say something he wants to hear. Once he does Youve got a ticket. Innocent or not the ticket will cost the same as the lawyer. You lose either way.

Your problems with DFG have been seen and understood in another post. However, You should not look at the law and then think that DFG will also attempt to violate your rights. Doing so would be no different then saying i can't walk out my front door for fear that the police might arrest me for a crime i didnt commit. JMO

If you really think DFG is that rogue, and treated you unfairly i would contact a lawyer and take them to court for civil rights violations. ALSO! JMO

dwa
04-20-2010, 3:17 PM
The dogs need to "officially" under the control of the licenced hunter.

what would officially be? say he has his dog and my dog and the controller for both and we are both of the understanding he is in control?

bigboarstopper
04-20-2010, 3:48 PM
what would officially be? say he has his dog and my dog and the controller for both and we are both of the understanding he is in control?

That would be the case.

taperxz
04-20-2010, 6:58 PM
Maybe you are just tagging along for the experience and your dog is being trained with the collar. I use and e collar on my chessie all the time hunting or not. Its still not a violation until you harvest the animal. And it must be you the self proclaimed non hunter.

dwa
04-21-2010, 3:10 PM
cool thanks for the help shay

bigboarstopper
04-21-2010, 3:47 PM
youbetcha