PDA

View Full Version : KNS Precision: neat AR pivot + takedown pins...

bwiese
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
KNS Precision has some cool pushbutton front pivot and takedown pins. I've just ordered four front pivot pins for my Colt Sporter/Colt Match Target rifles. They're around $14 ea but worth it (at least to me!).

The pushbutton unlocks 3 ball detents. For the front pivot pin version, it is available in large (.325"?) and small pin (.250") versions. When the button is not pressed, the detents are fixed in the extended position and are apparently not springloaded. So they should not work loose w/side-to-side movement.

This solves the problem I was having with DPMS/Bushmaster single ball-detent front pivot pins being used on four of my AR rifles based on Colt Sporter & Match Target lowers.

These lowers are not drilled for the spring-loaded detent lock pin for the front pivot pin and rifles made from such lowers must use a single or twin screw kind of pin - which makes cleaning/stripping and travel w/broken-down rifles more onerous.

The DPMS/Bushmaster ball-detent pivot pins would drift horizontally after 100-200 rounds fired. The ~1mm gap between the left side of the receiver and the ball detent allowed "creep" of the pin; the ball detent starts compressing, and the "D"-flat on the head of the pin (on other side of receiver) starts to cam over the flat edge on the receiver.

I'll let y'all know how these work after they're installed. But I've been looking for this for ages.

gmcem50
02-22-2006, 12:39 PM
While your at it, can you post some pictures as well?:D

JWC6
02-22-2006, 1:39 PM
I also have the KNS takedown pins, but I found that my WOA upper fits too tightly to my bushy lower, necessitating a tool to open. Though the KNS is great, I still needed a small push tool to wedge the rear takedown pin enough so I can pull it to the right.

I have a few extended takedown pins from Watson's on order. I hope it helps.

C.G.
02-22-2006, 2:34 PM
I also have the KNS takedown pins, but I found that my WOA upper fits too tightly to my bushy lower, necessitating a tool to open. Though the KNS is great, I still needed a small push tool to wedge the rear takedown pin enough so I can pull it to the right.

I have a few extended takedown pins from Watson's on order. I hope it helps.
I am thinking of the Watson's myself; report would be appreciated.

PeteyG
02-22-2006, 3:52 PM
KNS Precision has some cool pushbutton front pivot and takedown pins. I've just ordered four front pivot pins for my Colt Sporter/Colt Match Target rifles. They're around $14 ea but worth it (at least to me!).

The pushbutton unlocks 3 ball detents. For the front pivot pin version, it is available in large (.325"?) and small pin (.250") versions. When the button is not pressed, the detents are fixed in the extended position and are apparently not springloaded. So they should not work loose w/side-to-side movement.

This solves the problem I was having with DPMS/Bushmaster single ball-detent front pivot pins being used on four of my AR rifles based on Colt Sporter & Match Target lowers.

These lowers are not drilled for the spring-loaded detent lock pin for the front pivot pin and rifles made from such lowers must use a single or twin screw kind of pin - which makes cleaning/stripping and travel w/broken-down rifles more onerous.

The DPMS/Bushmaster ball-detent pivot pins would drift horizontally after 100-200 rounds fired. The ~1mm gap between the left side of the receiver and the ball detent allowed "creep" of the pin; the ball detent starts compressing, and the "D"-flat on the head of the pin (on other side of receiver) starts to cam over the flat edge on the receiver.

I'll let y'all know how these work after they're installed. But I've been looking for this for ages.

Where did you get them?

I can't find them.

Thank's

bwiese
02-22-2006, 3:57 PM
Where did you get them? I can't find them.
Thank's

Their website is down now, but normally at
http://www.knsprecisioninc.com

Their phone# is 830-997-9391.

DSA has them listed at
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KNS250&storeid=1&image=ARPBTDPIN.gif

PeteyG
02-22-2006, 4:06 PM
Thanks

I couldn't find them with a google search.

Pete

capitol
02-22-2006, 5:15 PM
The KNS Precision pins are the best especially for us kali folk. The front take down pin is a must for a top loaded AR. Ive purchased two sets from Brownells. Here is the link

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17158&title=AR-15+PUSH-BUTTON+RECEIVER+PINS

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/923000039.jpg

C123K_LoadMaster
02-22-2006, 8:03 PM
Here is what it looks like installed on one of my Colt Sporters. I picked a few of these up over a year ago from Brownells. High quality part that fits perfectly in my Colts without any play between the upper and lower receivers.

http://www.fototime.com/3EAFE20775C3B38/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1243451C9E18062/orig.jpg

bwiese
02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Here is what it looks like installed on one of my Colt Sporters.

Thanks for pix. Buncha questions...

After extended firing, with a mix of rapid and slow fire, (say, after 150-250+ rounds), is there any side-to-side movement of the pin ("walk")??

How much clearance is there from the right of the ball detent to the left surface of the receiver lug?

Will pushing from the left (without the pushbutton on the right being depressed) compress the ball detent, or do the pins stay "locked out"?

Do you have a pic of the other side of the installed pin (the "head") on your Colt - interested in the flat on the "D" head and clearance to flat on receiver...

Thanks!

C123K_LoadMaster
02-23-2006, 6:39 PM
Bill,

My responses are in red.

Thanks for pix. Buncha questions...

After extended firing, with a mix of rapid and slow fire, (say, after 150-250+ rounds), is there any side-to-side movement of the pin ("walk")??

I have to confess I have not shot any of my Colts in years. Work and other issues rarely allow me time to make it to the range. The last time I shot anything was in June of last year.

How much clearance is there from the right of the ball detent to the left surface of the receiver lug?

I measure 0.01 in.

Will pushing from the left (without the pushbutton on the right being depressed) compress the ball detent, or do the pins stay "locked out"?[/I]

The pins stay locked out.

Do you have a pic of the other side of the installed pin (the "head") on your Colt - interested in the flat on the "D" head and clearance to flat on receiver..
See the first picture in my post above. There is no "D" head on the pin. It is circular and clears the upper receiver.

Howard

BTW, I didn't receive instant e-mail notification when you responded. I have noticed this on other posts I have subscribed to. Any guess why this is happening?