PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of buying AK kit?

mblat
02-22-2006, 1:11 PM
Ok, I am debating whether to buy AK lower and I need a little persuasion.
Why would one to do so?
AK based on DCI lower and Romanian kit has 0 collectors value.
As far SHTF situation Yugo SKS is cheaper, as lethal, as reliable and actually more precise. ( due to longer sight radius )
Same goes for range work/hunting or any other use I can think of.
It seems that AK situation more dangerous from legal point of view than AR.
If would could get full auto AK then of cause it would be different, but that we can only dream about….
So outside of “sticking it to the man” what is it?

glen avon
02-22-2006, 1:25 PM
the build is fun

bwiese
02-22-2006, 1:35 PM
If you're building an AK, just don't have a gas system in it. Close off the gas port on the bbl with some kind of sleeve. That way you have a detachable mag pistol-gripped bolt-action rifle.

Then you don't have to worry about fixed mags.

mblat
02-22-2006, 1:41 PM
If you're building an AK, just don't have a gas system in it. Close off the gas port on the bbl with some kind of sleeve. That way you have a detachable mag pistol-gripped bolt-action rifle.

That drives my point - why? Just because it looks like AK? I rather invest about the same money in SVT. Well...... not really the same, about the double.... but you get cool semi that DOES have historical/collector value and shoots 7.62x54R!!!!!!!! and does it well!!!!!!

Stanze
02-22-2006, 1:42 PM

Not to hijack, but do you think putting a pump action AR upper on our non-listed lowers would be legal? So, that we may retain our detachable mag feature, I'm thinking, "Yes" because they aren't technically banned.:D

mblat
02-22-2006, 1:52 PM
Not to hijack, but do you think putting a pump action AR upper on our non-listed lowers would be legal? So, that we may retain our detachable mag feature, I'm thinking, "Yes" because they aren't technically banned.:D

Actually somebody (not me) had AK style pump action rifle for sale on for sale forum... So they must be legal....

sszeto
02-22-2006, 3:27 PM
It is perfectly legal. I have seen some of the pump action AK on shelf in Turners before.

shopkeep
02-22-2006, 3:59 PM
As cool as AKs are, the off-list AKs are for the most part inferior in quality to those that are on the list. Not to mention they look like C&R compared to some of the insane EBRs I've seen people build up from the off-list AR lowers.

AR lowers have an established (not to mention DOJ approved) builds. This is especially important at this point now that we're beginning to hear some fairly scarey rumors comming out of the DOJ. There has been sporatic reports of DOJ agents visiting gun ranges on witch hunts for off-list recievers.

Regardless of whether or not you decide to play the AK game, excercise EXTREME caution because the DOJ is not taking this thing lightly.

mblat
02-24-2006, 9:39 AM
Ok, ok.

I KNOW you are out there people who bought MORE than 1 AK receiver. And you by not responding to this thread basically confirm that there is no logical reason to buy them.....

Damn.... An I was hoping somebody would convince me otherwise... :)

glen avon
02-24-2006, 9:41 AM
you can build it up in Saiga fashion. fun, cheap, detachable mags. Yeeee-haw!

Lon Moer
02-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Ok, ok.

I KNOW you are out there people who bought MORE than 1 AK receiver. And you by not responding to this thread basically confirm that there is no logical reason to buy them.....

Damn.... An I was hoping somebody would convince me otherwise... :)
I don't understand your reason for even starting this thread? If your not interested in building an AK, or you feel like they have "no value" fine, but why are you ****ting on those who do want to build?

CalExile
02-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Fun meter. Period. When the CHICOMS or crips come over the hill, hopefully you aren't relegated to the home built AK.

With that said, some people feel a great amount of satisfaction by building a new driver themselves, and then taking it to a driving range and pounding away. Same same.

mblat
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't understand your reason for even starting this thread? If your not interested in building an AK, or you feel like they have "no value" fine, but why are you ****ting on those who do want to build?

No, you misunderstood me. I am intrested in doing in an AK build, but see too many cons. So I started this thread to see what was the reasons for other people to do it. It is possible that somebody come up with some reason, that I missed and that would convince me to do it.
Give you an example: I am not a bug fan of AR platform in general (prefer .308 caliber), never the less I did buy a lower and will do a build. Cause I saw a lot of good reasons to do so. So I was looking for those good reasons in AK case.

superhondaz50
02-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Just for a bit of info.... Arsenal makes bolt actions AK type rifles, to sell in the UK, I assume they would also be legal out here, and are possibly on their way. As for Pump AK type guns, they are legal and were selling out here for a limited time @ turners, until supplies ran out. They are called PAR-1 (5.56) and PAR-3 (7.62) I did alot of research on these because I wanted to know what their story was. PAR stands for pump assault rifle. They were designed for romania as an experimental, low cost sniper rifle, using a pump design to help with accuracy and for less ammo consumption. all had compensators attached for recoil reduction (we have modified comps welded on for CA, dont know why, originals were way different). all have dragunov scope rails mounted on the side, even though none were sold with scopes, all original ones came with a POSP type scope. They were never put into use, and therefore sold to the US, australia, and etc, were semi's couldnt be sold. This is all the info I could find on these guns, if anyone has a different story let me know :D

gobabygo
02-24-2006, 3:35 PM
Your question sounds very much like the "why do you need more than 1 gun?" question. The answer of why in most cases isn't "need", it's "want". If you're looking for justification then I've been using this argument lately: Because of the situation we find ourselves in, if you want it in the future, you may not be able to have it. $55 + FFL fees is extremely cheap for insurance against that possibility.

leelaw
02-24-2006, 4:21 PM
AKs are the epitome of evil firearms, especially here in CA.

Pissing off the liberals - isn't that enough reason to buy two? :D

6172crew
02-24-2006, 4:26 PM

Good point!:)

Leo762
02-24-2006, 4:59 PM
AK has always been my dream as we as an FAL, i just dont know whether or not i should get into this off list thing, im kinda worried about the shady area (at least it seems like it to me) i know 100% that fixed mag FALs are legal

if i were to get one i would get either a yugo or russian AK, its always been my dream to own one (im russian heh) but i dont know if i should risk it

Charliegone
02-24-2006, 4:59 PM

I bought 3.:D