PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my 870?!?!?!?!

Hoss.870
02-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Ok guys im having a few problems with my 870, Which is strange because i have a few others for hunting, but my Police model will not extract the shell after i have fired enough rounds(The number of rounds depends on what kinda load im shooting) to get the barrel to heat up. I will set the weapon down to cool for about 5 mins and rack the round out.:mad:

One of the problems i noticed that was happening was my carrier was rubbing along the side of the reciever, so i trimmed the carrier down enough so it doesnt run but have any of you experienced this probelm?

Mayhem
02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Ok guys im having a few problems with my 870, Which is strange because i have a few others for hunting, but my Police model will not extract the shell after i have fired enough rounds(The number of rounds depends on what kinda load im shooting) to get the barrel to heat up. I will set the weapon down to cool for about 5 mins and rack the round out.:mad:

One of the problems i noticed that was happening was my carrier was rubbing along the side of the reciever, so i trimmed the carrier down enough so it doesnt run but have any of you experienced this probelm?

Sounds like it's built on a newer 870 Express. You probably have the classic rough chamber problem. the chamber on the express barrels is not finely polished like the wingmaster so when your barrel and spent shells get hot the stick to the chamber walls cuasing it to fail to eject. If this is infact your problem I've heard of only a few ways of fixing it.

Use a dremmil or drill and a borebrush or some steel wool and polishing it. I personally wouldn't do this but I've heard of others getting it to work.

You can buy a new barrel that has a polished chanber (wingmaster) this to me is to expensive.

you can send it back to remington and have them fix it. This is the cheapest but has the most headaches and takes the longest.

lastly you can find a good smith and have him/her polish your chamber for you. This shouldn't cost around 40 to 80 bucks plus a smith can tell you if you have more problems like a bad bent or defective extractor or a bur somewhere other then the chamber cuasing you problem. this is what I would recomend.

Me personally I purchased a wingmaster to stay away from this problem with the HD/SP and Express 870's. the wingmaster is held to higher quality has a better finish higher quality parts (no plastic) and is polished/deburred. However with a little work you gun can be just as good and still alot cheaper its a pain but it is survivable.

Express 870 goes for around 325-400 a wingmaster goes for around 580-700

Hoss.870
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I worked on the gun a bit last night and hopefully next weekend it will not be an issue anymore.
Thanks for the advice.