PDA

View Full Version : Which fixed magazine kits are allowed?

Satex
02-22-2006, 7:41 AM
Which fixed 10 round magazine kits are considered kosher by the DOJ?

mrhappym1a
02-22-2006, 8:19 AM
Which fixed 10 round magazine kits are considered kosher by the DOJ?

I doubt that any of them are considered kosher by the DOJ.

But I just used a 10 round mag, a spacer and a lock nut on my lowers. It complies with CA law as written in that it neccesitates the use of a tool and takes a little time for removal of the magazine.

Cost about 50 cents or less. But the kits are pretty slick looking.

elmo
02-22-2006, 8:36 AM
exactly, nothing is what the DOJ considers a good fixed mag kit. But a nut holding the mag catch in complies to the law to the letter. I've heard rumors here and there from FFLs saying that they can prosecute for my sporting conversoins kit. And my reply is always, they would prosecute me for.....?

6172crew
02-22-2006, 8:52 AM
Only way to find out is to get a letter stating the law and how it effects ar15 receivers.

Dont call they will tell you anything they want.

blacklisted
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
My theory is that they only require certain extreme methods (sealed magwell / glued and pinned mag) for sale, but private individuals don't have to go beyond the letter of the law (tool to remove magazine). They also require manufacturers to send examples to the DoJ for "testing".

I don't understand it, but this is what it looks like from the letters I have read. In one of them Iggy sent a Cease and Desist to a manufacturer because he saw somone selling a lower at a gun show with a 20 round APPEARANCE fixed mag (like the Bushmaster mag) when they only approved mags that fit flush with the magwell for sale.

EBWhite
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Why cant you sell a lower with a 20 round looking mag???If the mag is demilled to only take 10rnds?

I would say the doj will say these fixed kits are not approved but to make our correct opinion stand we will need a test case. I'd rather be safe and have a detach mag, and no evils.

blacklisted
02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Why cant you sell a lower with a 20 round looking mag???If the mag is demilled to only take 10rnds?

I would say the doj will say these fixed kits are not approved but to make our correct opinion stand we will need a test case. I'd rather be safe and have a detach mag, and no evils.

This was before the DoJ acknowledged Harrott (back in spring 2005). This might have been a modified "series" lower already on the list as well, in which case they would have to test and approve it as being modified enough to no longer be included in the AR-15 "series".

:(

The Brit
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Can you give me a pointer to where these are sold? (Just acquired a Lauer receiver, so now looking for bits and assembly guidance.)

Thanks.

bwiese
03-28-2006, 3:35 PM
Understand that the bar for approval (i.e., formal DOJ blessing letter for a mfgr) may well be higher than the bar for mere legal compliance. The Sporting Conversions kit - perhaps with a bit of ThreadLok for added 'perceived deterrence - certainly avoids in entirety, both in letter and spirit, the CCR sec 978.20 definition of 'detachable magazine'.