PDA

View Full Version : Netbook Upgrade

KALIDAWG8996
04-15-2010, 2:11 PM
Hi! I have a ACER apsire one netbook, old school with Linux. Anyway to upgrade it to Win XP?

gunn
04-15-2010, 3:26 PM
Sure. There's always a way to load it. The question is how fast will it run.
You may also want to look at the various programs to "slim down" Windows XP.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1923&p=1

Read up on it.
-g

the_natterjack
04-15-2010, 5:53 PM
Would you need to upgrade memory?

Brian

2DoorImpala
04-15-2010, 8:04 PM
Don't really need to slim down the OS if you have plenty of space. Installing another os is easy as just using an external drive and booting the cd. In fact I'm doing this as I type in my eeepc.

I'm running XP on 2gb of ram. I just use it to surf the web while I'm out. I use my iPhone as a wireless router to connect to my laptop :)

Blackhawk556
04-15-2010, 8:05 PM
you might want to look at installing windows using a usb drive. I installed windows 7 on 3 laptops using a usb and it literally too 16 minutes to install.

external dvd drive?

do you have a copy of xp already???
I have a bunch of copies of xp pro and vista business, if you need or anyone need a copy let me know. I moved on to windows 7 so i dont need xp or vista.

they are legit copies, i have product keys for all of them
i got them from school

2DoorImpala
04-15-2010, 8:06 PM
The more ram the smoother it will run most netbooks are about 2gb and some support up 4gb if you plan to upgrade research what brand of ram can run on your netbook since not all of them do

KALIDAWG8996
04-16-2010, 7:48 AM
I have a stripped down version of XP I would like to load up and an external dvd drive and usb drive. I'd like to upgrade the SSD HD to a different HD if possibe but not sure if there's a way for this early netbook. the ram I can upgrade up to 1.5gb I believe. I'll make it my project if I have enough time this weekend.

I basically need it my netbook to surf the web. I might consider selling it for 100 dollars and just getting something newer. any recommendations on 3G models? I wanted to tether my nokia N95-3 web anywhere use but, if I can do it straight from the netbook then even better.

zman
04-16-2010, 9:28 AM
I have a bunch of copies of xp pro and vista business, if you need or anyone need a copy let me know. I moved on to windows 7 so i dont need xp or vista.

they are legit copies, i have product keys for all of them
i got them from school

I would like to take your offer on the XP Pro. I have a 4 year old PC in our spare room and has been sitting dead for the last 6 months because it crashed and the freakin' eMachines Recovery Discs had corrupted files :o

KALIDAWG8996
04-16-2010, 9:40 AM
I agree I was impressed with Win 7 first time I ran it. Alot less problematic and smoother running than Vista. Hopefully we can get full software support soon enough from 3rd party vendors.

KALIDAWG8996
04-19-2010, 7:46 AM
Anyone know of a way to upgrade the SSD Hard drive? What hard drive am I able to install on these notebooks?? Is it worth the hassle or should I just get a new one?

JDay
04-19-2010, 8:06 AM
I agree I was impressed with Win 7 first time I ran it. Alot less problematic and smoother running than Vista. Hopefully we can get full software support soon enough from 3rd party vendors.

Huh? If it ran on Vista it should have no problems on 7.

JDay
04-19-2010, 8:06 AM
Anyone know of a way to upgrade the SSD Hard drive? What hard drive am I able to install on these notebooks?? Is it worth the hassle or should I just get a new one?

It would help if we knew the netbook model #.

KALIDAWG8996
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Huh? If it ran on Vista it should have no problems on 7.

Not if it's X64.... I think this time around the industry will port most of their software from x32 to X64 entirely if not already.

KALIDAWG8996
04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
It would help if we knew the netbook model #.

It's on the OP, its an Acer Aspire One. 512k with 8GB SSD HD. I don't have the exact model number one me at the moment.